[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

4x4 Conversions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: ranger.jpg (76KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
ranger.jpg
76KB, 800x600px
First time on the board (/k/ browser), I've read several articles on the subject of 4x4 conversions and some say its difficult and I might as well buy a factory 4x4 and others say its a matter of finding the right donor vehicle and bolting on and fitting the parts together. For general information, the original truck and the donor would be Ford Rangers. The donor could possibly be a Explorer from the same era as I've heard the vast majority of parts interchange between the two. I am mechanically inclined so the actual work is not a problem, just haven't attempted a project this big before and asking for any input yall might have. Thanks in advance
>>
>>16712859
Just buy a truck that was 4x4 originally
>>
>>16712859
>I've read several articles
and this is where you end up?
>>
>>16712859
From what I've read, the Ford trucks can be converted from 2WD to 4WD pretty easily.

That doesn't work on GM trucks. GM trucks actually use a different frame between 2WD and 4WD models. This makes a 4WD conversion on GM trucks virtually impossible.

In short, it depends on the truck.

Anyways, if the Ranger is anything like the F150, a 4WD conversion should be fairly simple provided you have the parts. sister vehicles for the Ranger include the equivalent year Ford Explorer, Mazda Navajo, and Mazda B-series.
>>
>>16712859
the only time a 4x4 conversion is worth it is when you are doing speshul snowflake drivetrain swaps.

if you want a 4x4 ranger, just buy a 4x4 ranger.
>>
>>16712859
It's not worth the time and money. Just buy a 4x4 truck.
>>
>>16712859
sell 2wd truck but 4x4 truck
save tons of time and headaches
>>
>>16712859
If you're as mechanically inclined as you say, you wouldn't have to ask how much work it is.
Assuming you aren't a sixteen year-old kid with his first car, you will need the transmission, crossmember, transfer case, both driveshafts, front suspension, front differential, possible all other front suspension components.
It's not worth it, considering it's a shitbox ranger anyway. Just drive the goddamn explorer.
>>
>>16712966
>you will need the transmission, crossmember,
the transmission and crossmember are the same for 2WD and 4WD models.
>>
>>16712983
How sure are you? Usually the transfer case bolts to the rear or the transmission, and 90% of transmissions don't just have flanges for shit like that. I know for a fact that the 5 speeds don't.
>>
>>16712983
>>16712994
Also you would have to change the crossmember, considering the 4wd rangers have torsion bar suspension and not coils.
>>
>>16712859
>first time on the board
>asks an incredibly stupid question
>doesn't ask it in QTDDTOT
>says he did research
>>
>>16712994
>>16712999
That's why you swap the tail shaft and not the entire transmission.
>>
>>16712999
If the ranger in his pic s the generation ranger he has, he has the twin I beam suspension. I own a torsion bar ranger so I don't know how easy a ttb swap would be.
>>
>>16712983
actually this is incorrect for ford rangers and explorers of this vintage 2wd versions use a different tail shaft than the 4wd/awd variants, also the cross members are different.

>>16715059
m8 in order to do this on these transmissions
(a ford aod/4r70w or a 5R55E/5R44E) you basically have to dissemble the whole trans. The tail shaft is one of the first items ford put on these tranys so its one of the last items to come out. This just adds a shit ton of work onto a already lengthy 4x4 conversion process.

Just buy a 4x4 version of the truck these things are shitboxes and are dirt cheap now a days not worth the hassle and time required to do the swap
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.