[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tranny question I picked up a 2004 Ford ranger the other day

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: download.jpg (8KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 284x177px
Tranny question

I picked up a 2004 Ford ranger the other day for a project truck. The truck runs fine until I reach ~50 mph, then the over drive light starts blinking and starts shifting at a high rpm (~3k). Also once it's in its highest gear the rpm guage is still in the high 2k-3k while cruising. It makes it sound as if it hasn't shifted up to the next gear when cruising at higher speeds.
>>
>>16712596
Which engine?
>>
>>16712596
whats your question?

you only posted a statement.
>>
>>16712608
Automatic fx4
>>
>>16712613
Derp.
Question is: wtf be up with the transmission?
>>
File: 452.png (598KB, 600x878px) Image search: [Google]
452.png
598KB, 600x878px
>>16712596
Gonna hi-jack this thread in lieu of making a new one.

Today I was driving in 1st gear, and I pressed the clutch pedal to the floor and tried to shift into 2nd.

Hear/felt a great grinding noise, let off clutch, then tried again and it was fine.

This isnt anything to worry about is it?

I was nearly flooring it at the time, 5 speed mazda 3 is the car in question
>>
>>16712778
You probably didn't put the clutch in enough and synchros weren't happy. It's fine. You thought you put it to the floor but you didn't.
>>16712596
It's probably just your final drive ratio. If you have 4x4 I'll bet it's not stuck with highway fuel economy gearing. Somewhere between 2 and 3 grand is normal cruusing rpm at freeway speeds with lower-power engines.
>>
>>16712793
>ou probably didn't put the clutch in enough and synchros weren't happy. It's fine. You thought you put it to the floor but you didn't.

That what I was thinking, if it was something really wrong it would happen more then just once I think
>>
>>16712778
It happens. Change the fluid if you haven't in 50k miles and it'll make a difference. If it does it repeatedly then your syncromesh is fucked.
>>
>>16712809
I'll check to see when/if its been changed. Thanks.

And yeah it was only this one time, otherwise its pretty smooth going into gear
>>
>>16712778
Other posts are probably wrong. Sounds like you have a leak in your hydraulic clutch. Bad slave or master cylinder. It's happened on every single manual I have owned, which would be 6 of them.
>>
He said its auto dipshits.
Check conditions of fluid then report back
>>
File: 145564215412.gif (1MB, 500x347px) Image search: [Google]
145564215412.gif
1MB, 500x347px
>>16712596
do you have any check engine lights on?

one ford ranger i worked on would do the same thing but shifting from 1-2 gear, rev high as fuck but once off gas it would shift. CEL was on and it was the throttle position sensor

The fact that your o/d light is flashing means the car is giving you a transmission error code. get the code scanned, with out any more info i doubt any of these bus riders will be able to help. Again scan the code it should be stored if the o/d light flashed.

don't bother with fluid checks before getting the codes scanned.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.