/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mechanic Questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

hey br/o/s I was thinking of taking some automotive courses at my local tech college in order to become a certified Mechanic so I can get a nice job. I love working on cars and problem solving a vehicles issues I just have no insight in the day to day life, so I was wondering if some of you professional mechanics could help me out by giving me the pros and cons
tl;dr
I'm thinking of becoming a professional Mechanic and would like to know the pros and cons
>>
>>16696083
>turn your hobby into a career!
>tech school was fun now to get a job
>get shitty entry level jobs before going for something good
>get better job, but instead of a hobby you've been grinding the joy out of your life for money
>now you are trapped doing something you used to enjoy and now have to do or you're screwed

It could work out, but I've always heard never to make your hobby into a career.
>>
>>16696083
Cons
>You'll hate working on your own car
>Everyone of your friends want you to fix their car for cheap or free
>They'll blame you if something else goes wrong from the time you touch the car to when the car is getting crushed in the junkyard
No pussy
>>
>>16696150
>They'll blame you if something else goes wrong from the time you touch the car to when the car is getting crushed in the junkyard

This also,
>anon you changed my oil 96,000 miles ago, and TODAY it burst into flames!! You better fix it or we're not friends anymore!
>>
>>16696145
>>16696145
ohhh... well that's disheartening but I enjoy the truth fullness thank you
>>
>>16696166
>>16696150
Well I'd only work on really close friends and family, no aquintances
>>
>>16696169
Not saying you shouldn't be a mechanic, but see if they offer something else besides cars. Aircraft, locomotive, ship engine, ect.

>tfw my neighbor down the road is a mechanic for American Airlines
>he always has something he is working on under a tarp because he can leave work at work and go home every day.

Personally I still am going to go to a tech college to learn how to be a mechanic, but that is for my own personal gain, I have a degree in civil engineering as a career.

So if you still want to go, go for it. Just don't make a career out of it.
>>
>>16696176
>Well I'd only work on really close friends and family, no aquintances
Rule still applies,

Remember that people "madly in love" later file for divorce over something as simple as $1000 or as simple as one little argument. Now think about someones daily driver, or the shitbox they owe 7x what it is worth.
>inb4 love is a construct/not real
You get the idea
>>
>>16696178
yea I have a degree in biology but it's difficult finding a career for it, so I thought I'd go the mechanic route but now hearing this I might just do it to learn as well
>>
>>16696166
"ever sinces" aren't something you would be dealing with personally unless you run your own shop

>>16696176
Never do sidework, ever, even for your own family and friends

>>16696178
Aircraft mechanic pay is worse than auto mechanics, and it's also way more limited pool of jobs. I work with two aircraft mechanics with all certs for airframe, jet engines, etc. and they are back working on cars.

OP stick with the community college classes and get an entry level job at a shop, you'll find out of you like it quickly enough.
>>
>>16696193
>I have a degree in biology but it's difficult finding a career for it

I know that feel, my first attempt at a degree was applied mathematics, then I realized if you dont have PhD in your name you aren't going to do much with it.

Shop around, there's plenty of tech certifications that require a lot of education or thinking on the job.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.