[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Autobody Repair

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: dentedrolls.jpg (118KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dentedrolls.jpg
118KB, 1280x720px
Do any of you guys work as auto body technicians? I'm pretty sure that the job would be a good use of my skills, and there is definitely lots of work out of there, but I'm worried that it's a nigger-tier trade with little pay and no respect. Redpill me on this job.
>>
>>16694738
I don't but know people who do it in addition to mechanical work as well. Basically, cut out piece of damaged sheet metal, weld into place the new piece, sand out the roughness, prime the spot for paint and apply your coats (base, clear, etc.).

I'd think it's like any other labor job - show up on time everytime, do good work and get along with others and you'll be OK.
>>
Painters get paid more than simple technicians, do that.

Definitely not as well respected as actual mechanics. However it seems that its easier to set up a body shop vs mechanic shop if you wanted to own one.
>>
>>16694738
Depends on the shop and owners of the vehicles.
I do sheetmetal work on classics these owners generally are happy with whatever you do.
Dent repairs on modern cars can be a major dick because people dont exactly know how much effort goes into just getting to the dent.
Ontop of that modern cars use garbage plastic that clicks intoplace once and breaks when you try to get it off.

And what this anon said
>>16694762
show up on time everytime, do good work and get along with others and you'll be OK
>>
>>16694906
The trade school program I would be taking focuses both on metal and paint so I guess I would have both options, I would like to do both.

Actual mechanical work isn't really my thing, but I actually see artistic value in auto body repair and I think I would really take a lot of pride in doing that sort of work.
>>
>>16694937
>Depends on the shop

I hear that. I actually worked as a detailer in an auto body shop when I was in high school and that place was a shithole. I wouldn't want to work in a place like that as a long term career, but the people working there were the dregs who got fired from other shops in the city.
>>
I do it on the side as a hobby but deal with body shops sometimes in my profession. It's tough to move up in a body shop. You aren't going to just go become a painter, and you aren't going to do everything, you'll have one boring job. This is because with the workflow of a bodyshop it makes no sense for one guy to do prep, mask it, paint it, color sand it, etc., it's more of an assembly line. No painter will quit except for health problems so you won't get that job unless you hang around forever or the shop expands, you'll just be doing prep. I could see it being worthwhile if you get into a custom/specialty shop where you are doing really involved work but doing insurance jobs all day would suck, it's just a shitty environment.
>>
I always see ads for good auto bodymen with paint + welding skills. Seems to be very in demand, the owner at my local body shop said they have a huge problem finding decent quality people.

I would go for it and get enough experience to open up your own shop eventually. That's the way to the $$$.
>>
>>16696431
Thanks for the informative post. I'm okay with that shit though, at the end of the day it's still just a job to pay the bills.

>>16696451
Right on. I think I'm going to apply at the trade school tomorrow and hopefully I'll get to start in September.
>>
I worked at an auto body shop. I was a lot attendant and cleaned cars but was there 1.5 years so I saw a lot.

Pay is pretty good for bodymen. One older guy got 50k after taxes, and one alleged to get over 100k. Really just depends on how fast you work, since you are paid per car you get done.

You may not be a standard mechanic, but you'll definitely be doing mechanical work. Axles, radiators, rear ends, etc. Won't be all bondo and sanding.

It'd be a fun job I guess. Not something you'd wanna be doing for your whole life though. Honestly starting as a lot attendant is a good way to get your foot in the door and learn the trade as time goes on. I could have learned a shit ton if I was actually interested in it.
>>
>>16697796
>Really just depends on how fast you work, since you are paid per car you get done.

I've only heard of body men getting paid an hourly wage. That's certainly how it seemed to work at the shop where I was a detailer, those guys were pretty laid back and certainly didn't work any harder than necessary.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.