[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying a high mileage car

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 840324005.jpg (65KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
840324005.jpg
65KB, 800x450px
I'm tempted to buy a 2005 Acura RL with 201k on the odometer for 4500. Carfax clears out and the timing belt has been recently changed 400 miles ago. Should I go for it or should I jump on something else? Looking for something similar in its class, but don't want to spend over 5k.
>>
that price is kinda high
but as long as it's from the original owner and has been well taken care of, it should be fine
>>
>>16674042
I bought an accord 07 with 178k miles

Things I've replaced and things that probably need to be replaced

Power-steering pump was leaking horribly replaced that and he suction hose as well as oring on high pressure line
Replaced auto tensioner
Replaced upstream and down stream o2 sensors
Replace transmission fluid filter
Spark plugs
Front rotors and breaks
Ignition switch
Windows regulator and driver side window
Windshield

Things that probably need to be replaced
Entire suspension
Starter
Water pump
Timing chain tensioner
Rear rotors and pads

So yeah, don't buy a high millage vehicle

They're money pits
>>
>>16674052
>as long as it's from the original owner and has been well taken care of, it should be fine

No 12 year old cars with 200k miles are time bombs or money pits

Do not waste money on them unless you enjoy throwing money at shit boxes and doing needless wrench monkey shit
>>
Bout to spend 250 on a prizm with 168

I would only buy a high mileage car if you're a really good deal on a make that's really reliable
>>
I paid 6k for an '05 acura tl mt with 230k back in '14. Original owner who took immaculate care of the car and had all scheduled maint done plus it was super clean and no rust. Worth it to me, cars been perfect since ive owned it.

The only other vehicle I would ever buy with more than 200k would be a chevy truck or toyota/lexus.
>>
>>16674042
Why? Post your local craigslist.
>>
File: 01subaruwrxconcept.jpg (93KB, 824x457px) Image search: [Google]
01subaruwrxconcept.jpg
93KB, 824x457px
so there are people in this thread saying that this car with 201k miles is useless, you're kind of scaring me, so till what miles is a car worth buying?
>>
>>16674042
>12 years old
>201k miles(?)
>$4,500
no. do not. MAYBE $3,500, but that is insane.
>>
>>16674067
and you kept paying money for that shitbox and didn't buy a new car on lease? are you retarded?
>>
That generation of RL is a tank. Very safe and reliable. The transmission is very good compared to the glass one found in the TL. Much stronger. The 05 model was first year for this model and will be prone to AC, battery, and differential issues. After 05, they are literally bulletproof. Lots of nice touches in these cars that you don't notice right away like how wide the rear doors open, the handgun safe built into the glovebox, hidden window shades, etc. If you drive the car hard, the SH-AWD system is very rewarding. However, the miles and age are a concern. The awd system should be closely looked at to make sure it is not making any noises. Also, the leather used in the interiors is not very good, so older examples tend to have splits etc. Overall an amazing car and one of the last Japan made acuras. The 3.5L is more reliable than the 3.7L in later models because of block issues. The 05-13 RL are all gas guzzlers though. The 05 had the least HP and only a 5spd auto. The best milaege and power were the later cars with the 6spd auto and 3.7 liter motor. If you can talk them down and the awd system isn't making any noises, you should be good to go.
>>
>>16680525
Look at other RL's of this body style for sale. They are either all 40k mile cars granny used to drive to bingo, or they have 170-300k miles on them.

Also, some of the best crash safety ratings of even new cars. They may look like an accord/TL, but they didn't cheap out in building these like the TL.

I almost bought a few of these in the 09-11 range, but ended up finding a good deal on a low mileage LS430, and went that route because I needed the extra interior room. I don't have direct ownership experience, but I'm trying to transfer the results of months of research into these cars including a few extended test drives where the local dealer let me take the car overnight, etc
>>
>>16678570
>leasing a new car
>ever
Are YOU retarded?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.