[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 45

File: 1486938235982.jpg (188KB, 1100x900px) Image search: [Google]
1486938235982.jpg
188KB, 1100x900px
Post question that don't deserve their own thread here.
>>
File: 24385030085_large.jpg (84KB, 575x431px) Image search: [Google]
24385030085_large.jpg
84KB, 575x431px
>>16673211
>ruining old classics
>>
looking for a single din head unit. Don't want any LED type shit.
>>
File: IMG-20170215-WA0115.jpg (238KB, 1599x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170215-WA0115.jpg
238KB, 1599x1200px
Today I slid off road into a ditch and I think I may have a coolant leak.
But more importantly my car emits a metal knocking sound and an air flowing kinda sound it didn't emit before.
There was no impact but a small drop in to mud.
>>
I just finished installing a short ram intake on my car. When I started the engine its RPMs were extremely high which scared me and i shut it off quickly. I left the negative battery terminal disconnected for awhile so the computer should be reset right? I don't have to disconnect both terminals?

Everything stayed attached no hoses came out or anything. Could the high rpms be because I sprayed a good amount of throttle body cleaner into the throttle body while cleaning the valve. Should I test what happens if i let it idle for a few minutes?
>>
>>16673888
Also I had to move the little throttle thing that opens the valve to clean it and it didnt go back to totally closed maybe it is staying open? I have been searching online could I have fucked up the throttle cable (whatever the fuck that is i'm a car pleb obviously)
>>
>>16673888
That's exactly the reason. Start it and let it rev. The revs will die within minutes and be back to normal.
>>
File: Subaru_Impreza_WRX_wagon.jpg (1MB, 2088x1292px) Image search: [Google]
Subaru_Impreza_WRX_wagon.jpg
1MB, 2088x1292px
Hi folks, I discovered a 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX in my town; pic semi-related, the car in question is silver. The seller is asking for $5,000, and it has ~64,000 miles on it.

However, it "needs work". I haven't had time to look at it up close yet, so I'm here to ask what kind of stuff I should expect to replace.

Pic semi-related, car looks like that in silver.
>>
Just bought a Nissan with a CVT trans after having only driven autos before. When in manual mode when should I shift? Right before redline or sooner?
>>
File: 1310400333227.jpg (32KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1310400333227.jpg
32KB, 250x250px
>>16674147
>cvt
>>
>>16673278
Browse Walmart for a Kenwood unit? Not hard bro.
>>
File: 1485718650792.jpg (14KB, 192x286px) Image search: [Google]
1485718650792.jpg
14KB, 192x286px
>>16674118
>buying a car that Is the epitome of "where's my hug?" And smells like butterscotch nicotine free vape juice
>>
>>16674154
I didn't choose it because of it's transmission, I chose it because of it's price to condition ratio.
>>
>>16674163
Shold have bought an eg civic.
>>
>>16674147

>CVT
>Shifting

WAT

A CVT has no gears, why would you need to shift?
>>
>>16673896
Thanks anon. Went and checked the throttle cabel it was actually no longer resting in its little groved yhing so i put it back in and started the engine and it idled down fine. Drove it around and its running perfect thanks for eleviating my noob stress.
>>
>>16674118
Aww, that sounds amazing - low miles, a good color, and a wagon in the best looking year of wrx. Is it a manual? Honestly I have no idea where you would even need to start. Maybe turbo work, but a replacement wrx turbo is maybe 1 or 2 hundred bucks. Was anything specified?
>>
>>16674166
Some CVT's have "gears" that are just specific ratios that it switches to when you use the flappy paddles in order to give the impression of driving a manual (yes this is a real thing)
>>
File: altima.png (1MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
altima.png
1MB, 1280x960px
>>16674166
I don't really know much about it to be honest. It just has the manual mode in the stick area.
>>
>>16674194
>actually bought a slush box cvt
I'm actually disgusted
>>
>>16674169
Didn't have a chance to check the interior, unsure about the transmission. Nothing was specified on the note, but the front bumper seemed to be missing a noticeable amount of paint. It has moved, though, so I know it's at least in driving condition
>>
>>16674193

So, they take the one "good" thing about CVTs and remove it.

Fucking brilliant.
>>
>>16674194
>>16674163
>>16674147
Well thanks for the answers guys. I guess I'll just talk to the Nissan tech about it in a few days.

I didn't buy it for performance or anything. I bought it because I desperately needed a car and it was in incredibly good shape for the price they were selling it for.
>>
>>16674221
They didn't remove anything you fucking retard. It just has a "manual mode" Using the vehicle in "drive" works just as you originally said.
>>
>>16674226
jesus m8 just shift whenever the fuck you want, its not like it will let you do anything that will destroy the transmission or engine.

those things pretty much always shift on their own if you hit the redline and they wont let you shift down so quickly as to kill the engine

or just leave the damn thing in automode
>>
>>16674231
SHOULD
HAVE
BOUGHT
A
5TH GEN
CIVIC
>>
>>16674230

Yes, but it's a pointless feature which removes the "benefit" of having a CVT
>>
>>16674234
Fuck buying an old car like that. I'm done with that money sink bullshit. That's what happened with the car I had before, and I put several times the car's worth in cash in trying to fix it. I'm so fucking done with that shit. Also good luck finding a 5th gen civic in good condition that hasn't been completely fucking gutted and fucked by some ricerfaggot kid.
>>
>>16674244
>removes the "benefit" of having a CVT
Except it doesn't remove anything... you fucking retard.
>>
>>16674252
still going to have to replace shit the moment the warranty ends. also enjoy dat depreciation.

feels good buying a used 2013 with 1 year of warrantly left. for less than half of what someone paid for it new
>>
I think he is attempting to say that the feature "manual mode" is pointless because IT removes the benefit of having a CVT

He could have worded it a lot better though.
>>
>>16674260
It's an 4th gen V6 Altima with a two year powertrain warranty and 114k miles for $3500. I think I did pretty damn good.
>>
>>16674263

This, thanks.

I guess I wasn't clear.
>>
File: 43578934.gif (2MB, 266x199px) Image search: [Google]
43578934.gif
2MB, 266x199px
>>16674194
>"manual mode in the stick area"
>>
>>16674263
Just lurking here... What is the purported benefit to having a CVT? How is it any different than an automatic?
>>
>>16674290
uhh smoothness and efficiency

basically they dont have gears but a belt like system that moves up and down a cone and can be any gear ratio it wants, which means it never shifts at all, and to most people it feels like a slipping auto transmission
>>
>>16674290

It's supposed to keep the engine in the powerband, improve MPG, and have no shifting.
>>
>>16674290
A CVT doesn't have gears; it can adjust its ratio on the fly without interrupting torque to the wheels, and hold the same RPM as your speed increases, so your engine can effectively be at max efficiency 100% of the time. Compare that to an automatic, where you have to shift every once in a while to stay close to where you want to be in the rev range.
>>
>>16674298
>>16674290
I'm the guy with the Altima.

It doesn't really feel like a slipping auto to me. It just feels really, really fucking smooth. The RPMs just kind of get to an optimal point and hover there. I don't really know how to describe it, nor do I know much about the technical aspect of cars. It feels really nice though. Comfy.
>>
Posted in the other thread as well without realizing there was a new one, I have a 2004 Subaru Legacy and i have to do the whole exhaust system as far as i can tell, and i dont know what i should be looking for. Are there any whole system kits, or would i have to go by individual parts. Any advice would be appreciated, im pretty much a beginner with car work.
>>
sorry for reposting, didn't realize the other one was on autosage:

is there a best platform for cheap-ish longevity? I'm talking any engine/transmission popular enough for a big (cheap? possible?) aftermarket so you can replace parts as they die, and reliable enough so that it's not THAT often?

Also a CA fag, would it have to be smog exempt or are there any newer platforms that will be not too complicated to service yourself?

I am basically cheapfag as fuck and hate the idea of buying a new car, I want something I can work on when I need to but not too often, and will be cheaper in the long run vs buying new. I know very little of them but I'm assuming some american pushrod v8 in an exempt chassis would fit the bill, but I wish there was something a bit more fuel efficient.
>>
steering seems to require a bit more force than usual. Already added some fluid. I just mixed in power steering fluid with what was already in there which I assume was ATF as was recommended for the car... The salesmen at NAPA said that would be OK. Should i drain the fluid and put in all steering fluid or get atf? Anything else that could be causing this?
>>
>>16674576
I've noticed balder tires require more steering force than new.
>>
>>>/wsg/1546885

My 240 was sitting for about 2 months in the cold, and the battery died.

I cleaned everything up and charged the battery and now whenever the car is on it does this.

It isn't my hazards, my brake lights flash, and when I do turn on my hazards, it's completely independent from any other sounds on my car.

Google isn't exactly helping me out, anyone know whats going on?
>>
>>16674555
any corolla, if you do maintenance you wont have to do much anything aftermarket.
>>
>>16675523
Holy shit I drive a corolla already, at 150k miles now and I feel like theres a countdown clock ticking on something major to go wrong. Biggest thing so far was alternator, and I think I hear the CVs when I turn full steer.

Guess I'll wait and see.
>>
>>16675623
I think you'll be fine
>>
>>16673211
Ok guys, pls help with manual

When stopped at the lights (short ones where I keep it in first not neutral) should I have the clutch fully out? The bite point is right at the top so I keep it about half in. Is that bad?
>>
>>16675789
It is bad. unless you are shifting gears, your foot should never be on the clutch pedal unless you are shifting gears.
>>
>>16675789
Yes it is fucking bad

>>16675523
>drive corolla
>"maintenance" includes replacing the whole suspension, the engine mounts, and a water pump

Reliability doesn't mean what people think it means
>>
>>16675801
I thought he just meant engine problems. But with some patience he shouldn't have trouble finding parts for an old corolla.
>>
>>16675804
Then move "FI system problems" out of the "engine problems" category, especially for all those ones toyota sold with ECUs that crack in fucking half
>>
>>16675796
>>16675801
Ok. Do all clutches only grab in the top 25%? Why is this?
>>
I bought a 2002 w203 c220cdi as a first car and its pretty great but either an engine mount or a transmission mount is compressed(dead)
How do I make sure its the engine or trans mount
How bad is it if I dont change it (apart from my teeth falling off)
>>
>>16674576
its no big deal, they're both simular ATF just has more detergents. If that didnt fix the issue houwever go ahead and do a flush, replace with ATF thats recommended by your OEM
while its empty take out your reservoir and look down into it, it'll probably be pretty gunked, use some MAF or brake cleaner to clean out the screen in there
I mentioned this last thread but i also installed a p/s filter on the pipe that does into my reservoir. I dont know if this filter is a waste of money or not but it adds an extra mesh between the return and the pump so i dont see it as an issue
>>
>>16674194
even the """"""""""""""shift"""""""""""""""""""""" layout is retarded
>>
>>16675623
minor stuff desu. you'll be able to get new cvs in 20 years still unless they make old cars illegal or something
>>
>>16675829
1. Look at them. Easy to tell
2. Change it before it shakes the car apart
>>
File: DSC_0649.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0649.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>16675869
I dont have a thing to look under the car with
Should I try and kill myself with the little lift thing
>>
Lets say I hate myself and decide that I don't want a working heater within the cab of a vehicle.
What would you say about the possibility of relocating the heater core to a location of high air flow to provide additional cooling for dirt fucking cheap on a vehicle I plan to abuse the shit out of.
>>
>>16676276
I say it's too much work, you are better off putting an additional radiator somewhere in the engine bay than going through the immense pain in the ass that is reaching your heater core to remove it.

An even faster solution is to remove the thermostat so you get a bit more coolant flow at the expense of longer time to heat up
>>
>>16674391
Exhausts are split in multiple parts, those parts are, from the engine outwards: exhaust manifold, catalytic converter, central piece, muffler.
Some cars have more, some have less because two parts may be in one single piece.

You first have to know what is broken and buy that piece.
Stock parts are not sold as a kit, while aftermarket (especially performance upgrades) parts sometimes do.
If the whole exhaust is rusted to shit, you can probably save some money buying an aftermarket kit (not necessarily a performance one), keep in mind that the catalytic converter and the exhaust manifold usually last a lot longer than the rest, so make sure they are fine before buying stuff you don't need.
>>
Would a cheap self installed kill switch count as an anti theft device for insurance purposes? Only description they give is "prevents motor from starting by interrupring fuel, starter, or ignition". Would it have to be more than a cheap switch and wires for like $10 to count?
>>
>>16673211
A friend of a friend has a 06 TrailBlazer for sale

Ive been looking into getting a smaller SUV.
I dont recall hearing much, good or bad, about mid 00s TrailBlazers.
They seem to hold value on craigstlist well enough.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about them?
>>
>>16673895
> i opened the thing that shoots your rpms up high if you open it, and it didnt close fully. Why are my rpms high
Make sure the throttle body (the thing you fucked with) is back to where it should sit. Turning the car on like someone else said and letting it run for a minute might put it back in place as well once the car gets turned off.
>>
>>16677073
You should ask them, but I'm going to bet they want proof of installation with the receipt of the "authorized" mechanic that installed the Killswitch, for the same reason why they don't let you install all those black boxes by yourself.

I don't think they would just take your word for it and none of the people at the insurance office you talk with has any power to just take a look at your switch and confirm it is actually a working Killswitch.

The price doesn't matter, what matters is that they want to be sure it was installed properly and the only thing they listen to is a receipt from a mechanic or a certificate of some sort by an engineer.

But hey, ask them first, maybe you are lucky and they just take your word for it.
>>
I have a car thats been sitting and had a completely dead battery.

I pulled the battery out and put a battery charger on it.
After a half hour decided I wanted to get a baseline of how dead it was with my volt meter.

I turned the battery charger off and disconnected it.
When I put my volt meter on it, I could see the charge going down. .1 volt every 5-10 seconds.

I put the charger back on and am going to let it charge.

Is that indicative of a dead battery, or is it a symptom of just being pulled off the charger?
>>
>>16677452
symptom of just being pulled off the charger
>>
>>16677452
Your battery is liking losing charge. So its bad, it may charge up and start, but it will always be draining slowly.
>>
>>16677018
Thank you a bunch man, thats super helpful. Ill be able to get it up on a lift soon enough to see what is totally shot to shit and know for sure.
>>
So I just sold my old shitbox that was rotting in my parents' yard for a year and was wondering if I need to call my assessor's office to have them remove it from my personal property, or if that will happen when the buyer presents the title to the DMV.

I am asking here first because it was five minutes past closing time at their office, so I have to wait until tomorrow regardless. I work graveyard shift so if I can avoid being awake during daylight hours to deal with Margaret at the courthouse, that would be nice.
>>
>i've seen stretch bolts loosen
wouldn't this mean they were incorrectly torqued?
>>
>>16675503
>didn't go to based matt forums
have you checked the dimmer switch?
>https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40183
>>
Hi /o/ car scrub here

My 03 afford got a bit fucked up onthe front driver side. How much I can I expect to pay a scrapper for a new fender and bumper? Are the splashgaurds necessary to replace? Looking to do the bodywork myself for the experience and because I lack cheddar.
>>
>>16678956
At my pick-n-pull its $40 for a fender and $45 for a bumper.

Inner splash guards are there for a reason.
>>
>>16678648
That's a VERY local question. You could phone the courthouse to learn procedures.
>>
>>16673880
Visually inspect thoroughly and wiggle anything questionable.
>>
Gonna get a '96 Toyota Carina E 1.6 GLi as my first car, handed over to me from a family friend.
>What are some issues that I should look into to see what need repairs and what not?
>The paint doesnt look that good (it looks "muddy"? Like not shiny at all), how much would cost to paint it?
>>
Oddly specific question.

Should I buy a used Merc E Coupe for 20k?
>>
File: MJ.jpg (78KB, 648x486px) Image search: [Google]
MJ.jpg
78KB, 648x486px
Opinions on Jeep MJ? I might cop a 4.0 for 1500 bucks
>>
does turtlewax do anything at all? i waxed my truck at the carwash a week ago and there seems to be no discernible difference whatsoever as far as road dust buildup
>>
File: Chrysler-Sebring-2007-ig.jpg (288KB, 2160x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Chrysler-Sebring-2007-ig.jpg
288KB, 2160x1200px
currently thinking about buying pic related. the guy is asking $3500 (he said its negotiable) and it has 47k miles. i feel like its a steal if i can get it for $2800-$3000. anyone have experience with sebrings?
>>
>>16678767
It's a Nissan 240sx, but my buddy has a 240 Volvo and I don't think he knows about this site
>>
File: IMG_4830.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4830.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Mechanic I frequent says timing is slightly off.

His reasoning was how the car starts whenever it wants; it takes a second or fires up instantly. The idle starts very high, slightly above two thousand revs, but goes down to one thousand over time as it warms up. Sometimes, usually when it's extremely cold, it surges horribly.

It hasn't stalled when idling or driving at speeds and still has plenty of power, so I'm not sure what to think.

>pic related
>>
>>16679014
Yeah the courthouse was closed already but I didn't know if it would be pretty general. I do reside in Arkansas which has some pretty fucky property laws, so I will call them tomorrow.
>>
File: IMG_4303.png (185KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4303.png
185KB, 750x1334px
>>16679287
They seem to have a horrible reputation, most often with the engines sludging up.
>>
>>16673217
niggas gonna nig
>>
>>16674118
munnypit
>>
>>16679337
he's not wrong, you know
>starts above 2k RPMs
>goes to 1k after warming up
that's too high, it should be like 800 or 850 at idle
above 2k is too high as well, it should be like 1.5-1.7k
granted, the tach in older vehicles usually reads high but something is wrong
try cleaning the IAC
>http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=1354
>>
>>16679362
>consumeraffairs.com

i wouldnt go off of that site 2bh. every single car has a shit rating on there.
>>
File: 1472803392542.png (89KB, 500x426px) Image search: [Google]
1472803392542.png
89KB, 500x426px
I'm assuming this works the same in all GM cars so I hope I'll find someone that can answer my question here.

As of lately whenever I push my car a bit I occasionally get a blinking "service engine soon" light. It's not the CEL so I guess that's good but after looking over some fora it's all in the line of "miss fires" and this and that. It runs fine though. I tried reading out the code but nothing is showing.

Maybe some background info:
I recently bought a 2001 Firebird with the 3.8 V6. The original engine blew up on me but I had the same engine put in with about 90k-ish miles on it.

Three weeks ago my temp gauge went out, causing the radiator to blow harder than it should. Two days after that the headlight motor went out. I had my mechanic check it out and he said I have some electrical problems going on and he doesn't fix those. Fair enough, so I moved on with my life and let it linger for a bit.

Now would this be anything serious or can it be traced back to the electrical issue? I'll be putting 600 to 700ish miles a week on it for the next two weeks and I don't want to destroy another engine.
>>
>going to do my first engine swap.
>Swapping 2E carbed engine from 1.3 XL corolla to 4EFTE engine from starlet.
>pretty much share same engine mounts,
>not sure how to fit the starlet tranny on a corolla sedan.
>engine loom I will take partially out of a starlet, the rest I will make myself.
>may have a bad ECU along the line too.
>Fuel pump may be a problem, don't know if I get it along with 4EFTE I buy with gearbox and brake system.

I was thinking of doing this solo, but I may organize a barbecue and get a few extra hands to help me with dismounting hood and few shit here and there.
How fucked am I?
>>
>>16673880
>tfw you crash the star car
>>
Just started driving stick

Is it bad to start pressing on the accelerator when the clutch is completely depressed? Lots of videos seem to say you need to bring it to the biting point before you give it gas but I can't seem to shift smoothly or get moving from a stop that way
>>
>>16679815
Wat kar?
>>
Are lug nuts universal?
When I got my new tires on the shop had to break the wheel locks off because the fucking previous owner didn't give them when he sold the car. So now all my wheels are short a lug nut.

Can I just go to any auto store and buy more?
>>
Aerocatch or regular hoodpins?
>>
>>16679820
1991 Nissan D21 Pickup
>>
What's the go-to entry-level luxury car that's a little sporty and doesn't make me look like an old person?
>>
Got an 02 alero. 3400 series. Having cooling system issues. Made a T connection like shown here and fixed it for about a week. http://www.route66hotrodhigh.com/FriggingHeat.html

More confused than ever about cooling system. Past week it has performed ok, goes up and down but never gets very much over normal range and is usually runnin at decent temp. Have to add water now and again. Dropping friend off today, super overheats, pull over on highway, extreme sufur smell. Open resivour cap, coolant rockets out. Takes nearly 1.5 gallons of coolant and let it cool off. Drop friend off, start driving home, car performs best it has since i bought it, heat is boiling like fire hot i had to open windows, did this whole ride from holland to GR. Until i get on scurve in mid grand rapids 96, heat instantly turns cold, temp rockets up to red zone higher than ive ever seen. Getting off exit im turning off car in between stops to cool it off. Make left turn to finally get off exit and temp goes down and heat blows hot again
>>
>>16679821
They come in different thread sizes, but you can tell the counter jockey what car you have and they should be able to tell you what ones you need.

>>16679826
Yes.

>>16679861
When was the last time you flushed the coolant?
>>
>>16679898
Haven't you noticed that we have no mods?
>>
>>16679898
didnt it start as slightly car related shit, and then the animu fags took it over and ruined it with WAT, initial d references, etc.?
>>
How do I clean seat belts so that they dont have all the twists and wrinkles in them?
>>
>>16679898
hoon please stop false flagging
>>
>>16679891
First thing I tried was flushing coolant. Revving engine causes bubbles to go into reservoir. Thats when I made the T connector because the bleeders are not at the high point of the cooling system. No cracks in the hoses.
>>
>>16680046
>Revving engine causes bubbles to go into reservoir
So you obviously didn't get all the air out when you refilled it.
>>
File: pg.png (808KB, 589x585px) Image search: [Google]
pg.png
808KB, 589x585px
so i have a 96 blazer with a 4.3 with 4x4 i recently replaced the oil cooler lines and changed the oil like 1000 miles ago with Valvoline semi synthetic and a AC Delco oil filter as of like 400 miles ago the oil pressure on the dash starts at 60 psi which is normal for going down the road and then it drops to 20 psi when idling but now when it warms up the pressure will not go above 40 psi and when i started it up recently i could hear what i think the lifter knocking for 30 seconds then it stopped i put STP oil treatment to thicken up the oil I'm at a loss is there something I'm missing or should be checking
>>
>>16680100
edit* i meant mobile 1
>>
>>16680146
Should've used dino juice.
>>
>>16680171
but Ive used the same oil for like 7 months which for me is like 4 oil changes do you think i should change the oil Ive used or possibly up the weight of the oil
>>
>>16680069
nah I get the air out. its good for a few days then air mysteriously comes back. Cant figure out where.
>>
>>16680415
From a leak if you say you got all the air out. Try bleeding the cooling system on a hill that's pretty steep or lift the front to get the radiator cap at the highest point and everything at a weird angle
>>
>>16680415
Also do cylinder leak down test, could be head gasket
>>
I am really not sure what would be best. Currently i have a 2012 corolla i still have 2 years of payments on. Ive never had a fun or enjoyable car and as im getting older (27) i really want to get better with cars in general. I don't know if i should trade in the corolla for a nice used car at a dealership, or spend 1.8-3k on something from craigslist. I admittedly don't know all too much about cars, but have been trying my best to educate myself.

Sorry for the blog senpai desu baka etc.
>>
>>16680458
don't trade if you still owe more than a few hundred
>>
>>16679756
Seems like a money pit auto tragic.
>>
My dad is willing to trade me any car around 20,000 USD for my 2010 prius (which he also gave me) as a reward for getting my masters

what should I spring for? I know jack-shit about cars. I like medium-end luxury, so I was looking at used BMWs. pls no bully
>>
>>16680458
Blow the engine up with nitrous and then 2zz-fe swap it
>>
File: 1487230374367.jpg (119KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1487230374367.jpg
119KB, 1024x768px
This really isn't a car question, more of a rental question. Im in need of a rental car for a week or two mean while, I get a steady job and shit. Im 18.

I have a family member renting it for me, but what I can't wrap my head around is additional drivers? Websites say they only allow certain ages to be additional drivers, yet I have a friend who drove a rental that someone rented for him, and he was 18, and only showed a license. Do you think I should just reserve the call, bite the bullet, and find out at the kiosk? Or call all these places and explain my question? (I checked all the websites and shit) Any help here lads?
>>
>>16680968
Kinda anecdotal but I literally just rented a car at 19 no problem and turned it back in today. I'd call them and check to be sure but it should be fine
>>
>>16680988
Aaaaa, where are you located and what place did you rent from? And what car for that matter? Everywhere I look, theres huge walls like cards, work employment, age restrictions, etc for just renting.
>>
>>16680999
I'm from Freedomland, what dump are you living in? Enterprise had me show them my license and handed me the keys
>>
>>16681014
California desu senpai. I even asked in person about rentals and shit. Do they just not care? They didnt even pester you about age? Can you give me a green text senpai, I really want to know how. Makes me angry knowing they trick everyone in dumb old restrictions.
>>
>>16681035
>Drop my car off for bodywork
>go to the Enterprise â„¢ next door
>say I need to rent a car
>show them license and sign some random bullshit paperwork
>pay with credit card
>they show me the car, give me the keys
Pretty much it DESU
>>
>>16681063
HOW. REEEEEEEEE, okay I'm gonna try desu. I pray to god I can rent a nice car
>>
>>16681078
It'll likely have electric power steering which sucks ass. You'll be ecstatic getting back in your shitboxe though
>>
>>16681086
I drive a Chevy usually, but it's family shared, so I'm carless. Just trying to drive a nice car so I can fuck some hoes and get some work and turn heads for a while
>>
>>16679771
As long as you have the time, the tools and, most of all, the original wiring diagrams, you are set.

The act of dropping the new engine in and installing the trans is a job better suited for two people. You can do it alone, but it's more dangerous and takes more time, the rest can be done easily on your own.

Are your gearbox concerns related to the fact that there is no space for the new tranny or that the holes between tranny and engine won't align?
>>
>>16679826
Aero catch is, well, more aerodynamic and usually holds the hood down a little better, pins are easier to install, but don't hold the hood down as firmly.

I suggest you avoid pins of all kind if this car is still meant to be driven on the road regularly, as the hood will shake and vibrate like crazy with those things, it will make a fuckton of noise
>>
>>16679861
Heater suddenly not working and temp going very high is a very obvious sign of air in the system.

Wait for the car to cool down, open the reservoir tank, fill it with coolant, start the engine, let it warm up, refill the tank as necessary, close tank when you are close to operating temperature and make sure the level is not dropping anymore.
At this point you should drive it and see if it happens again.

Put a piece of cardboard under your engine for the night and look for drops on it in the morning to see if it's leaking somewhere, coolant doesn't just go missing on its own, it's either leaking out of the engine (and you should find it on the ground), inside the cylinders (and you should see white smoke from the exhaust) or into the oil system (and you should see a lot of yellow sludge under the oil cap).
>>
>>16674269
Enjoy the electrics dying slowly for 1g a module
>>
>>16680046
Wait, does the bubbling ever stop at all? Because that might be a sign of a shot head gasket and the cylinders are leaking hot gases in the cooling system, which would explain the overheating and the seemingly endless supply of air bubbles you have in there.
>>
What does pushing the 3 buttons that control AC do(strength, hot and cold, source)? In my Camry the little lights on them turn green and yellow and off.
>>
>>16682341
they control the speed of the fan, the amount of hot air and the source of air
>>
so guys, I tried my best at putting together a bunch of old informative posts and putting some stufff of my own into a sort of FAQ for manual beginners.

would you be so kind to give it a look and tell me if something is missing?

http://www.writeurl.com/text/manualfaq/read
>>
>>16673888
It's the throttle body cleaner burning breh
>>
>>16682488
but what does the light do? they work when it's off.
>>
what is the best car to have anal sex in?
>>
File: image.jpg (591KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
591KB, 1080x1920px
Convertible has serious leaking issues in the rain from a shitty seal around the windows. I know it's no replacement for brand new weather stripping, but finding it is a pain, and probably expensive just to buy. Anyone use these cheapo foam strips with good results in terms of sealing?
>>
>>16682601
post pic of said lights

usually a light on means it's working and a light off means not working
>>
File: busboat.jpg (64KB, 720x468px) Image search: [Google]
busboat.jpg
64KB, 720x468px
>>16679815
>>16679832
I also own a '91 D21, KA24E
>can i press on the accelerator when the clutch is disengaged?
>is bad?
you will not hurt the vehicle by pressing on the gas while clutch is in
if the revs are too high when you let the clutch out it can hurt the drivetrain
>how to shift a D?
it depends. If reversing I always seem to double clutch, use momentum, and give very little gas, otherwise it takes off at like 15mph backwards with clutch fully engaged at idle
>all the action happens before 2k rpms in reverse
In first I rev to 2-2.5lk and let clutch out smoothly
basically as i press the gas i let the clutch out
aiming for the clutch to be fully out when i hit 2.5k revs
>3k or more is burnout time, don't dump ur clutch
gear gap between 2nd and 3rd is huge so try to shift above 3k rpms
in general downshift when you're at 2k or fewer rpms
upshift when you hit 3-3.5k
save 4k RPMs and above for hauling, hooning, and heading uphill

>>16682732
that shit is for sealing air drafts under garage doors nigga, not waterproof window sealing
>not using silicone caulk
caulk that shit up m8
>>
File: 1483797246831.jpg (28KB, 655x434px) Image search: [Google]
1483797246831.jpg
28KB, 655x434px
>>16682605
van
>>
File: 1480342320684.jpg (156KB, 720x900px) Image search: [Google]
1480342320684.jpg
156KB, 720x900px
>>16682504
>I tried my best
no
>>
>>16682973
something more than a no would be appreciated, what's wrong with it?
>>
File: volvoPcatchassis.jpg (17KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
volvoPcatchassis.jpg
17KB, 500x375px
>>16680926
get a volvo
you're a doctor, you should appreciate safe
>>
>>16682947
Even though it makes 130Hp, it's a tire killer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmo4zdA4qk
>>
>>16680926
THIS>>16682981
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqhjJIBrZuA
>>
File: volvo360.jpg (94KB, 972x648px) Image search: [Google]
volvo360.jpg
94KB, 972x648px
>>16682992
>get swedish flicked, son
>>
>>16679089
how do i into repairs?
can wrench: learn2troubleshoot
can't wrench: pay mechanic $100 for diagnostic, take his list and look up videos and parts on google
>paint looks like shit
try washing and waxing after using a clay bar or get it detailed
worst case all the clearcoat is gone

>>16679247
it leaves a thin waxy film
>>
This needs replaced right?
https://youtu.be/RqrgbNRzlrs
>>
If I get wider tires should I put in the effort to get a widebody kit?
>>
File: 1434092242602.jpg (559KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1434092242602.jpg
559KB, 1600x1200px
>>16684118
I would at least go for some fender flares or something. I think wheels sticking out past the fenders is ugly, but that's just me
>>
>>16684176
>bolts on the outside
this is what I wanted to avoid, you see
>>
File: disgust.jpg (23KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
23KB, 500x320px
>>16684176
Rolling the fenders looks a lot cleaner.
>>
>>16684239
I'll probably go with this
I just dont want juan to break my shit
>>
how do I know what's play and what's a functioning driveshaft? In neutral with the handbrake off and the tires off the ground when I grab the drive shaft and twist it back and forth it clunks

I'll grab a video real quick and upload it
>>
>>16684322
It could be worn u-joints.
>>
>>16684322
>>16684345
https://youtu.be/2p0dGs37Wa0
>>
File: 225427.jpg (104KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
225427.jpg
104KB, 900x600px
>2002 Tundra
>when turning the wheel, hear a squeak
>no power steering fluid leak
>steering feels and acts normal
>its cold out, but it happens even when the truck is warm and I've been driving it all winter and I didn't hear any squeaks til 2 days ago

pls halp
>>
>>16684461
forgot to mention, the sound is not coming from the wheel itself, its coming from the engine bay
>>
>>16684461
Check your tie rods maybe?
>>
>>16684461
How's the condition of the serpentine belt?
>>
I just picked up a 2006 Sentra SE-R Spec V on CL for less than a grand. It has some minor motor issues at the moment but I have no issues with getting it fixed.

What is /o/'s opinion on these? I'm not really looking for validation here, I'm pretty happy with it. Just anything that stands out to you guys positive or negative?
>>
maybe the axel? idk im not a mechanic :))
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (149KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
149KB, 1280x720px
>>16684477
just went out and got a friend to turn the wheel. the sound is definitely coming from near the tie rods. I changed all ball joints 2k ago. What else can I do? Grease them? I'm a n00b tbqh, my dad's a mechanic but he's on holidays

>>16684482
Serpentine belt looks fine, from what my dad told me when he looked at it 2k ago

Also, noise seems to reduce the more I turn the steering

thx brahs
>>
I installed a new air intake system and my car has a slow stream of white smoke coming out eveytime I hit the gas. Do I just need to get my car retuned? Is it normal?
>>
the rear of my gearbox bracket is cracked, should i worry about this? mechanic hasn't brought it up and it isn't an mot failure, but it would be nice to get the little things on my car fixed, just not sure what order to fix them in, financially speaking.
>>
is it possible to have a headache (frontal lobe specifically) from too many new occurrences
>>
Faggots. When driving manual, do you guys just tilt your foot up and down on a pivot via your ankle, or is it a physical moving of the leg up and down on the pedal itself when using the clutch?
>>
Took my car to a trans shop to get it looked at. My car usually seems to lean a bit on the front passenger side usually, not sure if its a tire or suspension issue. The guy that drove the car to test the trans was a decent bit bigger than me (im maybe 140, he was close to 200 at least). Afterwards when i drove it home i swear it was leaning on the drivers side instead of the passengers. I stopped notmultiple times to see, and it seemed like it was slowly reverting to leaning on the passenger side. Is it posible that my suspension is "sticking"? Planning on replacing it soon anyway
>>
>>16684775
i always move my leg up and down
>>
>>16685016
wait a second this isn't /fit/
>>
What are the practical applications of double clutching
>>
Don't know much about cars but I just bought a 2011 bmw 328xi. Did I fuck myself or is it a good car
>>
>>16685228
trucking & fagging
>>
>>16685267
The E90 is overall a good car, as is the 328i but the AWD was a mistake.
>>
>>16685270
Is it any more advantageous than normal rev-matching?
>>
>>16685286
nope
>>
What are the best oil filters for high mileage cars? I'm about to get an oil change and I have no idea where to start.
>>
My car sometimes shuts off while in reverse the RPM's visually move up and down until it just shuts off. Also jsut now while taking a wide turn really slowely the engine also died. Any ideas?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (206KB, 866x760px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
206KB, 866x760px
>>16684477

so is my tie rod JUST?
>>
File: 1473219486312.jpg (111KB, 800x774px) Image search: [Google]
1473219486312.jpg
111KB, 800x774px
What are the must have driving/cruising cassettes in your opinion? I need something else to get my amazon order delivered and cassettes are unbelievably cheap. They're for an 88 mr2 if that helps. So far i have

Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night
REM - Document
Roy Orbison - 20 Greatest Hits
Some led zeppelin tape i can't find at the moment
The Beatles - Aftermath
Madvillain - Madvillainy
>>
>>16686187
whats a tie rod
>>
>>16686366
tie rod end* u autist
>>
File: 1486182177518.jpg (270KB, 750x728px) Image search: [Google]
1486182177518.jpg
270KB, 750x728px
>>16680894
yes
>>
>>16673211
When operating the clutch do I pivot my foot on my heel or do I lift my entire foot
>>
File: 1366166782176.gif (973KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1366166782176.gif
973KB, 320x180px
>>16686349
id pick a pink floyd album to go on there too, but that's me. you do you fampaichi
>>
>>16686651
heel
>>
I got a blown headgasket in my Subaru. And I really, really, don't have the money to get if fixed by a mechanic, nor space and time to do it myself(and know how for that matter).
Am I able to just keep refilling it with oil for the time being? Or will it eventually get worse?
>>
>>16686875
it;ll get worse
>>
>>16686893
How long do I have?
>>
I think I have a bad fuel pump. If my car sits at an angle (on a hill) it WON'T start. Cranks but doesn't turn over, I know the spark is good, has to be fuel.

Since it's just in that specific situation (the hill) can I be reasonably certain it's the pump, or at least a seal? How can I check?
>>
>>16686921
if its an actual proper blown headgasket, white smoke, coolant in oil, and so forth. A few days maybe. Could cause engine seize sooner.
>>
>>16686946
Oh, no, it just leaks oil. Well, that's what the (((mechanics))) at the dealership told me. I'm sure it could be a lie, but it is for sure losing oil somehow and what they told me made sense.
>>
>>16673211
What is wrong with this? Can I fix it easily? Is there a high enough chance that I can fix it that I should buy it anyway?

Yeah, it's pretty gay but it's the least shit manual I could find at the price (Assuming I can fix it for 500 or less)
>>
File: 1477247211597.jpg (208KB, 630x1428px) Image search: [Google]
1477247211597.jpg
208KB, 630x1428px
>>16687058
I am literally retarded.

https://loz.craigslist.org/cto/5975501091.html
>>
>>16686950
if its just an oil leak keep putting oil in and you'll be fine. It may actually be a bad valve gasket, which is SUPER easy to fix that can be done in 2-4 hours.
Here are the symptoms of a bown headgasket, keep in mind you may have only a few of these or all of them
Coolant leaking externally from bellow the exhaust manifold.
White smoke from the exhaust pipe.
Overheating engine.
Bubbles in the radiator or coolant overflow tank.
White milky oil.
Significant loss of coolant with no visible leaks.
>>
>>16687064
Yeah I looked it up a bunch before taking it to them just to see what they would say. None of those are happening. It is just losing oil. Unless it's losing coolant very subtlety or something. But no milky oil or anything else. Only reason it doesn't make a puddle is because it gets on the manifold and burns up, which explains why my manifold was all dirty too.

I don't remember if I looked into valve gaskets before taking it to the dealership. Will look into it soon.
>>
I bought a 2015 Focus DCT as my first car/DD.
Did I fuck up? Mostly for a city driver.
>>
>>16687124
>Ford
>Focus
>DCT

Yes, unless you only drive to get yourself places. Then you did fine.
>>
>>16687129
I mostly only drive to get places; work, gf's, etc. Seems pretty alright at doing that. Also was first vehicle, didn't have a whole lot of money for something "higher up".
Good to hear its not a complete fuckup, at least.
>>
>>16687080
interesting, usually those are the types of things that happen. One thing you can do is take out your spark plugs and look at them, if you have oil on them, odds are the valve gasket is bad. You may also have oil on the engine.
I just had a local mechanic replace mine, it took him about 2 hours and was easy, he took the valve cover (top section) of the engine off and scraped off the old gasket, making sure not o contaminate the inside of the engine he sprayed the top of the cover off with brake cleaner and replaced the gaskets around the spark plugs. after cleaning the holes for the plugs out as well we put the new gaskets on. Again making sure nothing got into the engine itself.
>>
>>16687331
Actually I did take out my spark plugs. They did have oil on them. Still, the dealership insisted it was a headgasket. Of course I'm aware this could just be them wanting them to charge me with something more expensive and fix the real issue under the hood.
How much did it cost you? I'm looking to look into some local mechanics but haven't had the time yet.
>>
>>16687428
well this was a craigslist mechanic and i had to buy my own parts, so not including parts, maybe $400 or so for a motor mount replacment, valve gasket replacment, sparkplugs, timing belt, balance belt, he checked the brakes, and i think there was one or two other small things.
>>
>>16687439
Man that sounds fucking nice. Dealership wanted to charge me about 3k for the headgasket job. I don't to go pay another mechanic to get it checked either. Maybe I'll just find a mechanic and ask them to do a valve gasket replacement.
None the less supposedly Subarus always blow their heads after 100k miles and mine is above that so, eh.

Thanks for the insight none the less.
>>
>>16687465
go to a local mechanic with good online reviews and have them check it for you and see what they say first. Craigslist mechanics can be iffy. My guy talks to himself and his tools and banters with his wife, so for example if that kind of thing makes you uncomfortable it may not be wise to go with him, but he did good work. Theres always a number of mobile mechanics available online though. Just dont go with one thats TOO cheap, if the price is too good to be true. it is. Make sure they put NEW parts on your car, not claim they did and walk off with the brand new parts you just bought,
>>
>>16687505
I may have a good one due to some inside connections, but I'll try to check none the less. Thanks again, anon.
>>
Hey guys, I'm kind of a poorfag for the next 2-4 weeks and I'm trying to save money. I need to get my car inspected. My brakes are okay, but I don't know if they'll pass. Would you guys just bite the bullet and get new brakes so you don't need a second inspection, or chance it? Worst case scenario, I shell out money for an additional inspection and brakes. Best case, I don't need anything new
>>
>>16686187
Sorry, meant to reply last night when you first posted but for some reason I can't post when on my workplace's network

Anyways, yes that tie rod is fucked, specifically the boot there. What you'll want to do is grab the tie rod end and try moving it around in all directions (up/down, pushing/pulling, twisting, etc.) and if there is play it will need replacing.
>>
File: !.png (98KB, 229x243px) Image search: [Google]
!.png
98KB, 229x243px
Reliable and safe fwd manual shitbox post 2000?

its a temporary solution, needs to be safe so I live to drive my goal vehicle. So no tin cans pls.

More than 4 ncap!!!!

I know corollas are good, but I want more suggestions, and elaborate on corollas? Any experiences with them?
>>
I have a GM vehicle that has low coolant. Can put any dex cool coolant in there or does it have to be the same kind as what's already in the car. I don't know what I have in there now.
>>
>>16687954
>not doing brakes yourself for less than $100
>didn't specify disc or drum brakes
if they're disc the pads have a piece of metal in them that starts screeching at about 15% pad life
you could also look at the pad itself by pulling the wheel off, more than 1/4" of pad is good
>drums
no way to know unless you take brake shoe off, just do them shoes are cheap
>>
>>16686941
what angle is the car?
>are you pointing uphill or downhill?
most fuel pumps suck from the front of the tank
so if pointing uphill you may have a tough time starting if you have less than 1/4 tank (or 1/2 tank if it's really long and vertical with car length) full of fuel
>how to check fuel pump
turn car to on, don't start
listen for a whirring sound from tank
this is pump priming itself
>check#2
check fuel pressure at rail
vacuum tools help
also check fuel filters and lines for blocks and leaks
>>
>>16687058
>https://loz.craigslist.org/cto/5975501091.html
>doesn't start without starter fluid
sounds like a toasted fuel pump
pretty sure immibilizer would stop it from turning over
suspicion rises due to turbo engine, which require high pressure fuel pump
i'd pull the trigger and clean it up to sell to some grill, budget $1-2k for repairs
>>
My cars master cylinder won't stop fucking leaking. I took off the old cylinder and inspected it and thought it was the issue, so I got a new one. However the new one leaks in EXACTLY the same way. It leaks at the bottom of the plate that bolts up to the brake booster. I'm thinking of putting some sort of gasket there to force it to stop. Does anyone have experience doing something like custom gaskets? Could I just tighten the part down on an o-ring and call it good?

This shit is fucking up my paint and I'm tired of it
>>
>>16688373
you have to drain all the old coolant and fill it up with new stuff. mixing products can cause engine damage
>>
>>16681490
More about the holes between tranny and engine won't align. Wat do?
Also I don't have much in the way of tools.
I have basic sets of wrenches,ratchets,power tools,break bars, jack, jack stands. All the standard shit.
I don't have original wiring diagrams for a Starlet turbo edition. I just have the one for a regular starlet, but I guess that one won't do.
That fucking 4EFTE wiring diagram is so fucking rare.

I have the time. I don't believe it is a difficult job, just time consuming for first timer.

Apologies for late reply anon.
>>
File: 2997.jpg (141KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
2997.jpg
141KB, 1024x682px
>>16689657
About the holes..You have to fabricate an adapter plate. You bolt the adapter plate to the engine and the gearbox to the plate.
If someone did the same swap you are doing, you might have a chance of finding a plate on sale somewhere, otherwise you have to draw and fabricate it.

Have you thought about getting the wiring diagrams from an official workshop? They may still have some paper manuals, especially if the shop has been with Toyota since when the starlet was still around.
It's a long shot, but it's better than trying to randomly searching for it on the internet
>>
File: thisone.jpg (161KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
thisone.jpg
161KB, 1024x768px
I need to ship a car from Indiana to California. I'm getting tired of dealing with all the bullshit involved in getting quotes and hearing about the extra $300 dollars in fees they want to charge. Anyone have a shipping service they'd recommend?
>>
File: 1401012458609.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1401012458609.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>16690122
I know a guy that worked for Toyota for 30 years then opened his own toyota workshop.
I don't doubt that he knows about it.
Its just that the 4EFTE engine that came from a Starlet was Japan only ( I ordered it from malaysia). So I doubt he would have it lying around, or know where to find one.
I will try the official Toyota workshop, but Im afraid that I will just find the regular old starlet ones.
Also those holes are highly critical. I must be very careful...
I doubt someone did an engine swap for this car. Because the engine is Japan only and this Yugoslavia.
Neither is anyone interested in Toyotas, god forbid anyone doing swaps in them,nor is the engine common.
I'd much sooner see a 4AGE swap rather than 4EFTE. Even though 4EFTE is much easier to swap into this corolla. I promise I will turn it into quite nice little sleeper. (Curb weight 880kg)
Thanks for help anon, you did me great.
>>
>>16690300
New from WAT Automotive Technology, WAT Automotive Transport! Just make sure your car is in good working order, then one of our barely-trained NEETs will drive your car to the destination. You only need to pay for gas, a bus ticket back, and daily rations of tendies.
>>
File: IMG_20170211_025054.jpg (1MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170211_025054.jpg
1MB, 4160x3120px
First time taking a look at the brakes on my car.

My pads have this ridge on the edge - should I replace them and the rotors as well? Pad life/thickness is pretty thick. It seems that the pads are too big for the rotors.

The rotors have a tiny groove on their surface, enough to feel with a finger when you rub it - should brake rotors be completely flat or is it okay to have some surface variations?

The brake pedal also has zero response when you press down, I'll be bleeding the brakes tomorrow and hopefully it will improve.
>>
>>16690122
>You bolt the adapter plate to the engine and the gearbox to the plate

After machining off the front of the bellhousing to match the thickness of the adapter plate, otherwise the input shaft won't seat all the way in.
>>
My steering is really stiff. I added power steering fluid but that hasn't helped it at all. While I continue to try and fix this problem is it ok to drive around? Asking about safety and if it is possible I might damage the car more.
>>
>>16691374
really stiff like heavy? does it lighten up when you're at speed, or is it consistently the same
>>
learning how to drive stick, if I'm coming up to where i know a stop sign is, is it bad for the car to put it in neutral and coast to the stop sign? Or should I downshift the entire way?
>>
I thought about buying a luxury sport sedan, but I don't want to immediately jump from a econobox to a high end car.
What's the "middle ground"? I was actually looking at an Acura ILX.
>>
>>16691409
You should *legally* and *technically* be in gear until you're at a complete stop. In practice I would still recommend to be in gear up until about 5 or so feet from the stop sign. But neutral drop if you feel like it, it doesn't effect much one way or the other.
>>
>>16691391
Lightens up at speed.
>>
>>16673211
can I always get away with never giving gas when starting a manual car? First day with a manual car and it's all flat here. I find I'm screwing over a lot more trying to give gas at the same time because it's delicate as fuck to keep it between 1.5K and 2K rpm.
>>
i bought a z31 300zx with the blower not working. it has 12v at the plug going to the motor (checked with multimeter). that means without a shadow of a doubt the motor itself is dead, correct?
>>
>>16691798
its absolutely fine to creep start as long as youre not roasting the clutch trying to no throttle up a hill for 20 seconds or anything. its actually recommended as it slips the clutch less (usually)
>>
File: Black people are scary.jpg (39KB, 550x466px) Image search: [Google]
Black people are scary.jpg
39KB, 550x466px
How does one go about "throwing away" a vehicle?

I'm in California (never done this before) and I recently got my vehicle renewal in the mail. I'm not going to renew it because I have no need for it anymore, just sits in the garage being a piece of shit, so I decided to just throw it away. Is nonoperation the only way? Doesn't seem like it.

It's going to be completely destroyed.
>>
Is it illegal to hoon around an abandoned neighborhood? It is in the middle of nowhere, no houses were ever built in it and it is the closest thing to a track in my area. The street is pretty fun it has a bunch of turns then a straightaway I can hit about 60mph on.
>>
>>16692115
>oure not roasting the clutch trying to no throttle up a hill for 20 seconds or anything.
wait so just releasing the clutch works uphill too?

If I end up being in stop & go traffic in a highway, doesn't it become necessary to creep with the clutch pressed halfway for basically the entire way? How does the clutch get roasted specifically with uphill?
>>
>>16692153
Short answer: yes

long answer: yes but not if you don't get caught
>>
>>16692144
Since you live in Commiefornia, just put it up on craigslist for like 20 bucks, say you just want it gone.

Here in the midwest we just park the car in our yards, the more rusting cars you have in your yard the longer you've lived there, and therefore the higher your status.
>>
>>16692154
>wait so just releasing the clutch works uphill too?
Unless you have assloads of torque, fuck no it don't.

>If I end up being in stop & go traffic in a highway, doesn't it become necessary to creep with the clutch pressed halfway for basically the entire way?
Not if you're smart. You'll either slip the clutch for a few seconds in first gear and then release it, with the momentum and intertia propelling you forward and you being in neutral letting you roll slowly as traffic moves. Or you will create enough of a buffer zone with the car infront of you that you can idly cruise in 1st or 2nd gear without having to slip the clutch.
>>
>>16692177
Doesn't that go for anything illegal?
>>
>>16692204
Now you're thinking.
>>
>>16692144
You can do a release of liability online
>>
My car was hit by a deer and it smashed one of my headlights and dented the area around it. I called the police to make a damage report for insurance claims but what exactly do I do after this? I've never had an accident before so is it just contacting my insurance company and bringing it to the garage I usually go to so they can fix the headlight?
>>
>>16692213
Yes, but I'm not transfering it to another person. That's the whole point.
>>
>>16692190
>You'll either slip the clutch for a few seconds in first gear and then release it, with the momentum and intertia propelling you forward
if you have to come to a complete stop a few seconds later to repeat the process again over and over again, how badly does that wear out the clutch?

I'm really worried about how much abuse I gave my car today after a couple hours of practicing. I stalled like 10-20 times and may have revved upwards to 3K rpm when trying to start a couple times. A mazda3 is not that fragile right? I fear I will need to abuse some more tomorrow before I finally get it.
>>
>>16692317
>if you have to come to a complete stop a few seconds later to repeat the process again over and over again, how badly does that wear out the clutch?
That's not very easy to answer objectively. The best answer I can come up with is; think of it this way: If you measure the lifespan of a clutch in amount of times you can use it to get rolling. Every time you come to a complete stop and start to get moving again thats just one less "start and stop" on your clutch life down the road.

But that very question is why you should practice on driving smarter by learning how to space and pace yourself to traffic. If you can get rolling to the speed of crawling traffic by slipping the clutch for a second and then going back to neutral you will do more good than say constantly working the clutch in and out of 1st gear or slipping it partially.

Stalling is shitty but your drivetrain is strong enough that I highly doubt you did anything particularly damaging. And slipping the clutch at 3k rpms, depending on the clutch engagement might have worn some miles off it but unless you were redlining it while partially engaged your clutch is fine. Just keep practicing and learn how to engage the clutch quickly and smoothly and getting fully engaged into first.
>>
>>16692382
>by slipping the clutch for a second and then going back to neutral
ok I never tried that before. I only thought of pushing the clutch back in when I wanted to avoid a stall.

so assuming I understood you correctly. Instead of releasing the clutch completely when I want to crawl consequently speeding up instead, I should just push the clutch completely so I'm in neutral again.

I'll try that out tomorrow. thanks
>>
>>16692468
What I mean is to use the clutch *only enough to get you rolling* and then putting your shifter into neutral. Don't keep the clutch pedal pushed in the whole time, that's just unnecessary. So for stop and go traffic the process would look like this:

Wait for car infront of me to move about a cars length or more.
Clutch in
Shift to 1st
Let clutch out enough to get the car rolling forward and up to a decent speed
Clutch back in
Shift to neutral
clutch out

Your goal is to have this strategy carry you as far forward as you possibly can before having to do it again. Ideally though you would crawl in first or second gear the whole time which if you can manage it means you don't ever have to slip the clutch unless you come to a dead stop. But I use this method when a dead stop is inevitable.
>>
Can worn springs cause a clunk in suspension aswell as sagging on that particular corner?
>>
>>16692541
I see now. That does make it easier on my leg if I will have to fully stop immediately anyways.
>>
>>16691434
sounds like your power steering is fucked man, I don't know what specifically though
>>
>>16692645
Fuck. Is it ok to drive around? Wont ever be for extended periods of time just a few miles to work and back.
>>
>>16690862
I honestly don't know much about the engines you want to swap, are they completely different engines or is the turbo one an upgraded version of the engine you already have?

Also for the adapter plate there is also this >>16691229 to do
>>
>>16691216
That's normal, rotors tend to worn mostly in the center, while the very edges remain at the original thickness so the pads develop that little slope over time.
A pic of the rotors could help, but I think you should leave those pads on until they are finished and then replace everything.
>>
Crankshaft pulley: the rubber dampener in the middle broke and it makes shit metallic noises, accessory belt moves erratically turning power steering on and off at random times.
Can't afford a tow and can't change it on a store parking lot because owners are cunts.
Do I:
>remove belt and drive 4km home
Should be ok to drive 5 minutes without a water pump: my car takes like 10 to get to operating temp
>keep belt and drive home with wonky power steering
I feel like this is going to cause more damage than not using a belt

Metallic noise is not as loud without the belt on
>>
>>16693120
Drive home slowly and smoothly without the belt.

Inspect every pulley by turning it by hand and checking for abnormal free play.
>>
>>16693129
Pulleys are a bit worn but don't need a replacement yet, except for crankshaft one.
>>
>>16693139
Then just go for it, keep an eye on the temp gauge while you go home
>>
>>16693141
It was easier than I thought it would be, makes power steering feel pointless desu, steering was not actually hard(like a modern bmw when driving)
>>
What's the deal with inline engines and odd cylinder numbers? Like I have an inline 4 cylinder, why was this used instead of a bog standard fourbanger? Why is an inline five an option for my vehicle instead of six?
>>
Hey folks, am looking for a player and most of them look ugly as fuck.

Does this one look aesthetically pleasing? I like it personally, although it could look better.

Otherwise anyone has any suggestion for an elegant and discreet unit?
>>
>>16693853
I know there is a Sony one, that is aesthetically pleasing, but that shit cost 1K+
>>
manual drivers: I have been driving Manual for 3 weeks now. I can drive comfortably, but only from 2nd-6th. I have slight troubles with first. tell me step by step how YOU drive off after a stop sign or stop light. I keep my foot like half down on the clutch and accelerate, and it provides a nice clean pull off 65% of the time. also-

what gear do you drop to when you turn corners? I go to 2nd and want to know if it's ok

ALSO- how do you stop? like slow down and stop at a stoplight 200 meters away? do you downshift and balance the brake and clutch or do you coast in neutral then shift to first when it turns green like me
>>
File: teaser_digitalmedia.jpg (14KB, 380x360px) Image search: [Google]
teaser_digitalmedia.jpg
14KB, 380x360px
>>16693927
Yeah, that's mostly the catch, I'm looking on a budget one.

Thing is most of them look damn ugly (like pic related).

The one above I found is some chinese thing. I heard people saying both good and bad things about it, but I can't decide much. Looking for something I can easily hook on a Golf 2-tier interior without looking ridiculous ((like pic related)).
>>
File: DSC_0750.jpg (566KB, 1400x937px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0750.jpg
566KB, 1400x937px
>>16693853
Use an old deck
Use only and amp and no deck
There are plenty of ways to adapt modern devices into old units or just run a hidden setup
>>
How hard is it to wrap a car in vinyl by yourself? How expensive is it to cover the entire car? I took a closer look at my car and the entire front end is disgustingly ugly. I guess I don't really need to wrap the whole car but I don't want mismatched colors
>>
>>16693853
That one looks fucking cheap.
>>
>>16693853
hahahahaha just use your eyes nigga like what the fuck
>>
>>16693098
2E is the engine that I currently have, and 4EFTE is from the same E series as the 2E engine.2E is carbureted 4EFTE has turbo and electrical fuel injection.
So yeah, pretty much an upgraded version of 2E.
>>16691229
What do I need to use to make the front of the bellhousing to match the thickness of adapter plate?
Will I need any special tools either?
>>
I just started this car for the first time in a couple months and when I do there's this really loud whirring/whining noise from the engine compartment. It gets louder if I hit the accelerator while in park but goes away if the car is moving.

I don't know what it is. Any help? Car is am '08 Grand Prix GXP btw.
>>
>>16694686
Nevermind I fixed it. The clamp that holds the battery was loose and rubbing on the belt.
>>
>>16694663
In that case it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a reasonable draft for the missing wiring harness.
You have the control module aswell I suppose, so can't you ask the guy who sent the engine to you to get his hands on the pinout for the module?
Because that alone would solve like 90% of the electrical issue.
Again, I'm not an expert on those engines but I don't think it's an electrical nightmare to solve.

Also for the bell housing your best bet is to ask a machine shop, removing a couple of cm of material shouldn't be complicated for them and expensive for you, just make sure you don't remove too much material so the original mounting holes are still there
>>
Where can I get a water pump gasket to a 1987 Volvo 340 B14 in Sweden? I've only found one place who sells it and they don't ship to Sweden.
>>
File: fuelandignmod.gif (74KB, 800x679px) Image search: [Google]
fuelandignmod.gif
74KB, 800x679px
>>16694950
>Also for the bell housing your best bet is to ask a machine shop, removing a couple of cm of material shouldn't be complicated for them and expensive for you, just make sure you don't remove too much material so the original mounting holes are still there

You just solved my biggest worry thank you.

Also I will ask the guy, but If he doesn't come up with it I found pinout on ebay for 20€.
Also, just look at what I found. pic related
Internet is truly handy little helper.
>>
>>16695344
Well that's really useful for sure, good luck with your project m8
>>
>>16694953
The 340 B14 was a renault engine. Look for water pumps for that instead. It's known as the Cleon engine. Same as a twingo.
>>
>>16695385
Thanks. I hope I will finish it in 1 month time.
Mostly it would take a day or two but you never know what you will miss or get in a way, and real life gets in the way too.Somehow it'll work.
>>
>>16682732
AutoZone, and probably all the others, sells big ass rolls of universal weather stripping. All the used car dealerships buy it by the ton to stop old junk from leaking. It's in aisle six, white and purple box.
>>
>>16684775
When pressing the pedal in I move the whole leg. When releasing I just slide my foot down and let the pedal pop back up.
>>
just drove home just 3 miles and my CEL came on, p0300 random misfire and p1170 which seems to be related to the rear oxygen sensor. I have brand new spark plugs wires and distributor cap from misfires a few months ago. Any ideas on what to do to address this? The car feels weird at idle. It seems like idleing at lights and stop signs is when the misfires happen.
>>
>>16695694
your rear o2 sensor is probably dirty or bad and your vehicle is using too much fuel causing knock
>diagnosis
get a new o2 sensor they're meant to be replaced and are usually pretty cheap
easiest way to test before replacing if OBD II is using torque pro to check sensor voltage while driving, should constantly fluctuate between 0.1. and 0.9
>after the CAT= downstream sensor
>>
If I buy a used car off craigslist and it still has its license plate on it, do I keep the license plate or am I obligated to buy a new one since its now my car.
>>
File: volvo_rozzers.jpg (184KB, 640x334px) Image search: [Google]
volvo_rozzers.jpg
184KB, 640x334px
>>16693339
>doesn't know I4 is bog standard fourbanger
>doesn't know that I6 is too big to fit in a britbong FF shitbox
>doesn't know that I5 sounds like half a v10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNYOaLOkPuQ
lurk moar
>>
Do engines pre-OBD2 keep some sort of internal counter for their mileage? I ask because I own a car that has original body miles on the odometer and a swapped engine. I know roughly how many miles the engine has on it from the distributor I got it from, but I was just curious if it kept track of mileage on its own.
>>
>>16696531
I'm a burger. This is the first four cylinder I've had that is inline. Also doesn't answer why it would be done instead of normal v.
>>
>>16697772
what four cylinder did you have that wasn't inline?
>>
What's the difference between a hatch and a hot hatch

What makes a 'sports' car
>>
>>16697819
Lancia Fulvia, Saab Sonnett
>>
>>16697819
Mid 80s S10, early 2000s Focus, nineties model Stratus.
>>
My driveway has a steep incline. My e-brake doesn't work and I risk a ticket if I park on the street. How bad is it if I just leave it in park on a hill? I'll only be doing it intermittently for the next month at most, since i'll either be living somewhere else or have fixed the e-brake by then.
>>
>>16674252
>fuck money-sinks
>I'll buy a CVT
>>
>>16697840
>hot hatch vs hatch
Suspension is changed to improve cornering performance, at the cost of comfort. Better/sticker tires at the cost of road noise. More powerful engine, better brakes.

Go compare the specs of the standard Fiesta and Fiesta ST on Ford's website, or Golf GTI on VW.
>>
>>16698302
I can guarantee you the Focus never had a V4 engine, don't know about the others, but I highly doubt they were V4 too
>>
>>16699276
Possible, I suppose, but my Colorado is the first vehicle ive had that had the engine listed as being inline. Hence my curiosity as to what advantage/disadvantage it has over a v setup. And why an i5 would be an option but not an i6.
>>
>>16699343
Most inlines today are I4, and it's been like that for quite a while, that's pretty much the standard for inline engines.
Nowadays there are also a lot of I3 (especially in Europe) because of the neverending pursuit of downsizing and reduced fuel consumption/pollution.

I5 are a kind of special snowflake solutions, some manufacturers have a history with I5 and they kept doing that mostly for tradition, like Volvo.
They have their advantages, like the unique sound and the fact that it can develop more power, more reliably than a I4, while still being more compact that an I6, which allows it to be fitted transversely if needed.

I6 are bigger, heavier and they offer less freedom of placement inside an engine bay, manufacturers who invested in I5s won't spend a lot of money for an I6 because it may not be fittable in all the cars I5 fit into, unless they want to completely replace and discontinue I5.
>>
>>16692105
Holy fuck how stupid can you people get? Just buy the god damn thing and try it. If that wasn't it return it.
>>
>>16692557
No
>>
>>16696462
You keep the plate.
>>
>>16698302
Literally all inline. Fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>16688373
Be more specific. What vehicle? In all my GM vehicles, I usually put the prestone universal shit in unless it's very obviously oem dexcool

>>16692710
I'd think so, it'll just be a bonus arm day
>>
>>16698394
If its automatic, you'll be fine. Which I'm assuming it is because >park
>>
>>16698394
hope your parking pawl doesnt break
carry blocks around just in case
>>
>>16686349
Pink floyd animals
>>
>>16696343
What is knock?
I have been researching how to replace the O2 sensor thanks for the info.

I cleared the code and drove it today. The CEL came on again with the same codes. Both times they came on while idling at a stop light for an extended period of time. This is an automatic so I am just holding the brake in drive. Also when going slow like in parking lots and making turns in parking lots slowely sometimes the engine rpms fluctuate up and down and sometimes go low enough to shut the engine off. Dunno what the deal is there.

Also I just installed a ebay short ram intake (lmao hot air intake) because the stock ones pipe was cracked in 2 and taped up. Could this be related to the new intake? The stock one had tape all over, even where it connected to the intake manifold was taped up. A short ram intake was the cheapest quick solution. I live in an area that rains alot, constantly. So I thought short ram made more sense than cold air. It not only rains alot but it is also very hot in the day though so I dunno. If I can find a junkyard or scrapyard I plan to look for a replacement pipe for the stock intake everything else on the intake is fine.
>>
>>16700461
Knocking is basically unintended fuel ignition (fuel ignites even if spark plug didn't fire yet) and it can happen for a number of causes and is accompanied by loud metallic tapping noises.
Air/fuel ratio being too lean can cause knock (the post you quoted got it the other way around, having too much fuel doesn't cause knock, quite the opposite in fact), as well as compression being too high or abnormal carbon deposits on the piston, among other things.

The "rear" O2 sensor (which I assume is the one after the catalytic converter) doesn't alter the air/fuel ratio, so it doesn't cause knock even if it fails.
However you don't seem to have knocking problems so don't worry about that.

Things to check: MAF/MAP/IAT sensors, check if they are clean and not covered in oil.
Fuel delivery, replace fuel filter if old, test fuel pressure, clean injectors.
Spark plugs, make sure you have the right ones and that they are gapped to spec.
>>
>>16700958
Alright, thank you very much for the info.
>>
is there like a detailed mini-model engine build I could get to pre-game before I jump into doing a real engine build
>>
https://youtu.be/VbESyGe8Xd8

any idea what could be causing something like this? bad starter motor? bad ignition switch? bad battery?
>>
I've noticed a quiet sputtering/flapping noise in my 3.7l Jeep Liberty that gets louder the more I press the accelerator, and seems to get faster with higher revs but I'm not sure. Does anyone know what this is?
>>
>>16701905
When was your last oil change?
>>
Did I break something /o/?
I was under my car fiddling around and I was looking at the clutch slave cylinder. Out of curiosity I pressed the lever that goes into the transmission to see if I could actuate the clutch by hand. Now in the car the clutch petal has no residence whatsoever.
Car is on jackstands for the winter, I can't start it for a couple more months to try and drive it either.
>>
>>16696462
Depends on the state. Here in Michigan you get a new plate when you transfer registration. Some states make you give back the plate.
>>
>>16701897
If you sold the car, why do you care?
>>
>>16701957
Why don't you just let it live in your car?
>>
>>16702020
?
this isnt my volvo, but my c30 is having the same issue
>>
File: 20170220_163651-1.jpg (3MB, 2588x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170220_163651-1.jpg
3MB, 2588x1932px
>>16701930
Under 3000 miles ago. I don't think thats it, the CEL just came on with this code. I think they guys who fixed my transmission may have knocked a hole in the exhaust.
>>
I just bought a new car and love driving it, but I have no friends who live nearby and nothing to go and do. What sort of activities or things could give me an excuse to drive /o/?
>>
>>16702356
Go volunteer somewhere.
>>
>>16701890
rebuild a lawnmower
>>
>>16701957
You probably blew trapped air bubbles back into your clutch line. If your clutch line is how I think it is, the line actually extends past that clutch actuation lever to a bleeder. You might want to bleed it.
>>
new thread >>16703221
>>
>>16703054
Thanks anon
>>
>>16702356
Are you me?
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.