[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just bought a Volvo 740 a few days ago. How bad did I fuck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20170211_150637.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170211_150637.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
I just bought a Volvo 740 a few days ago. How bad did I fuck up?

Got it for $550. Autotragic non-turbo. I bought it to have something to daily until I'm ready to finance something decent in ~4 months. Here's what's wrong with it so far:

>power steering comes and goes
>interior is beyond shit
>there was a blunt in it when I bought it lol
>ac is out but it was just missing a belt
>almost 200k miles
>both rear windows don't go up/down
>rear right door doesn't even open
>as of today, headlights don't work but brights do
>cassette player + speakers don't work, not sure what the issue is yet
>doesn't start now, thinking it's the fuel pump
>lots of other issues I'm sure I'll encounter
>>
>>16666949
Unless you are very handy you fucked up royally.
>>
Bro that's ready for the pick n pull, like the other guy said if you're not ready to fix all that shit you're fucked
>>
Nice car, most of those problems don't matter 2bh, long as you get it running and keep it running that's all that matters.
Body looks good too that's the most important part.
>>
If you can't fix all that yourself you're fucked. Volvo OEM parts are pretty pricey so you're only salvation is being able to pull parts from a junkyard yourself.
>>
>i bought it to have something to daily

>doesn't start now

Well that didn't work out quite like you'd hoped. You know the drill, either work on the essentials yourself or drop the money. I mean honestly for like $600 you could've gotten a running shitbox.
>>
>>16666949
That's a great car to learn to wrench on, but if you don't want to work on it your're fucked.

As far as actual advise goes, check the power steering belts and fluids, check to see if the in-tank fuel pump is working (the one under the car is much less likely), and then just start going through it and replacing every fluid, seal, gasket, and piece of rubber you can. And do the motor mounts asap, I bet that redblock shakes like a bitch.
>>
>>16666949
Volvo owner here, doesn't sound too good. scrap it and try again m8
>>
File: 1485632017628.jpg (43KB, 843x474px) Image search: [Google]
1485632017628.jpg
43KB, 843x474px
>>16666949
>$550

Sounds like a good deal, OP

>giant list of serious problems
>some of the problems make the car illegal to drive

What the fuck were you actually thinking?
>>
>>16666949
If you can do stuff probably not too bad, the engines are solid even if the peripheral stuff breaks easily. Before you change the fuel pump (there are two), change the relays and look for shorts. The first fuel pump is under the rear left seat, it's in a cage to protect it. The linkage between the pump and the filter is something like $40, so take care not to break it. Tighten the fuck out of it when you put it back on, it will leak a little bit. The other one is in the fuel tank, accessed through a hatch in the trunk, although the one under the car is the primary one and can at least start the engine on its own. FCP Euro and IPD USA are your best bet for parts

T. 940 owner
>>
>>16666949
>ac is out but it was just missing a belt

Yeaaah. no.

Anyway, great car for $550!
>>
>>16666949
>>there was a blunt in it when I bought it lol
If you didn't smoke that shit like a something awful drug fiend scraping shake off the carpet of a honda shit box you don't belong here.
>>
What type of engine?
>>
>>16670992
Not OP, but It's the non turbo, either the redblock 4 banger (2 or 2.3 liter) or that straight 6 Volvo put in some of the 9's and 7's. Either way it's a lot of car to haul around, without the turbo it's going to be a bit sluggish
>>
>>16666949

My friends $500 NA 940 went through two crashes and 5 years as a first car. Volvos are best beaters. Just make sure you don't scrap it. Someone out there will bring her back to life or beat on even further.
>>
>>16666949
>$550
>non turbo
>doesn't start
I got a working 850 turbo for $200, only had a radiator leak at the time
you dun goofd unless it's got an immaculate interior

>>16671186
>knows it's a seven series
>doesn't know the 4 stands for # of cylinders
also OP its a 744 because it's a saloon
>>
>>16671800
>4 stands for number of cylinders
That's cool anon I didn't know that. What does the last number stand for?
>>
>>16672234
0 for general model. 4 for Sedan, 5 for Station.
>>
File: 1480689089520.jpg (67KB, 402x248px) Image search: [Google]
1480689089520.jpg
67KB, 402x248px
>>16672305
Neat
>>
No start condition is your only real issue here, and there's a decent chance it's the relay, not the pump itself. Could also be the radio suppression relay.

However, if you are wondering to /o/ if you messed up and not anally searching forums and cleanflametrap and Dave Barton's for answers than no, old volvos may not be for you.

Troubleshooting the fuel situation is your first step. That car is worth about what you paid.

With TLC it'll run for years and still be a shitpile, without it it's just shit.

Here's where you figure out what type of car person you are.

I'm guessing by how you mention financing something you aren't one of the old Volvo guys.

And all these otists pretending to be Volvo guys and not mentioning relays. Get yourself a volt meter and get to poking bud.
>>
>>16672507
I don't think that knowledge of relays is a skill present only in Volvo guys anon. But do try and change the relay first, the pump under the car is easy but the one in the tank is attached to a horsecock-shaped piece of brittle plastic that is hard to wiggle out of the tank.
>>
>>16666949
>Free blunt with car
Shit nigga you did gud
>>
I can almost guarantee you have air trapped in your power steering pump, knock on the reservoir to get it out, while you're at it check the level of all the fluids
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.