[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bigger engine always better?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: aAsw3jj.jpg (572KB, 1992x1494px) Image search: [Google]
aAsw3jj.jpg
572KB, 1992x1494px
Bigger = Better was my mind set growing up. Dad seemed to make it clear a larger engine will last longer, be smoother, more powerful, and use about the same amount of gas.

Looking at a basic Accord, and I keep hearing the 2.4L is better than the 3.0L V6 option. Why is that?

Are there any other instances where the smaller engine option is the way to go? I know some cars it gets complicated, like the Challenger, v6, 5.7 v8, 6.4 v8, s/c 6.4 v8

Or pickup trucks, 2.7L ecoboost on the F-150 is supposed to be better than the 5.0L v8, but not the 3.5L ecoboost

weird
>>
bigger = more torque
smaller = more revs

torque wins races
>>
I'm looking for a smooth, refined car that's a step up from an econobox Civic for my GF. Deciding whether to go 2.4L or 3.0L Accord, or possibly a 3.5L Avalon.

Looking for the smoother power steering, smoothest accel and brake pedal operation too. I love that feeling of my aunt's newer Lexus.
>>
>>16655755
In terms of power typically yes bigger means better.

But not all engines are built the same, and some are less reliable, harder to maintain, or easier harder to get more power out of than others.
>>
>>16655785
OP again. When I was younger I briefly looked at the VR6 and 1.8 turbo GTI's and never understood the desire for the turbo's, other than they can make more boost and more power, but then become even less reliable
>>
I drive an 8.2L V8 Cadillac. Can confirm it is smooth like silk at all revs and in all gears.
>>
>>16655803
The vr 6 and vw 1.8 both suck though. You're right that the vr 6 is overall better besides for those wanting to tune it (at the expense of their wallet, time, and peace of mind)
>>
>>16655755
>thats what americans learn
being a "good engine" depends on the platform which its mounted on and what people look to get from the engine.
power, reliability and smoothness dont really depend much on size
>>
>>16655755
A bigger engine will be less stressed to make power, and under normal driving circumstances, it will thus be more reliable since you'll never get near it's limits.

However modern cars are advanced and engineered enough that it doesn't matter as much.

Case in point the F-150: The very base 3.5L N/A V6 is more than enough for most people in most cases. Most people buy bigger or better engine in that vehicle simply because they want to.

Those who really need better hauling/towing capability could easily get an F-250 for not much more, and it's 6.2L V8, while not as effecient as the 3.5L Ecoboost V6, will tow just as well and haul even better.

Again, alot of people buy the Diesel in that truck even though they don't actually need it.
>>
File: 1460741858572.jpg (134KB, 750x744px) Image search: [Google]
1460741858572.jpg
134KB, 750x744px
>>16655755
that pile of shit doesn't even deserve to be in the presence of an 80 series desu
>>
File: firestick.jpg (313KB, 1062x996px) Image search: [Google]
firestick.jpg
313KB, 1062x996px
>>16657436
meh. It's seen a lot of this continent. And seen more trails than most Jeeps and LC's.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.