[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mongol Rally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9

File: mongolrally shitbox.jpg (96KB, 960x639px) Image search: [Google]
mongolrally shitbox.jpg
96KB, 960x639px
fellow /o/tits
I'm a baguette and I want to travel around in a shitbox from London to Mongolia

Should I ?

I was thinking about a 4L (In case I would want to take part in the 4L Trophy later on)

I've got basic knowledge of mechanics as a "car guy" but none of my friends are. They would basically be deadweight but I don't care

What concerns me the most is the money

I'm saving to buy 206 RC to start racing and go fast innawoods and my current car project is to restore an AW11 which takes lots of time and money too

Is it easy to get sponsorships ?
Is there anyone in here who already did the Rally ?
>>
File: panda.jpg (66KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
panda.jpg
66KB, 640x480px
BUMP

Or I was thinking about a panda
>>
>>16653607
>London to Mongolia
Good fucking luck.
>>
Ask around your local shops, businesses and whatnot. Every little bit helps.
You might also want to send mails to the bigger companies like Coca-Cola, Red Bull, betting companies and onwards, as you never know what their response will be

Pic related; couple of guys I know is taking this one from Oslo to the Mongol Rally and then hopefully back
>>
File: disdainforrebels.jpg (169KB, 1251x913px) Image search: [Google]
disdainforrebels.jpg
169KB, 1251x913px
>>16654580
Thanks

>>16654750
Yeah that's a pretty good idea
There's not many baguettes trying this rally out since we already have four similar idiotic charity-axed races

Coming back might be more difficult and shit
As I am a student and work full time(night shifts), 5 weeks might be the maximum amount of time I could spare for the race

>mfw I'll cross Ukraine
>>
File: S_7e70a7_6135881.jpg (128KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
S_7e70a7_6135881.jpg
128KB, 900x900px
>>16655240
Keep your Geiger-counter close and your vodka closer
>>
>>16654750
Just like that, not lifted, road tyres?
>>
File: mongolrally.jpg (361KB, 1914x1009px) Image search: [Google]
mongolrally.jpg
361KB, 1914x1009px
>>16655419
kek of course
Even if Chernobyl is prettier during autumn

>>16656986
That's the point

Anyways if I bought a Panda 4x4 I might want to lift it, and bring a couple off-road tyres
>>
>>16653607
>Should I ?
No.
Unless you can carry an entire second car for parts, you really, really should not.
I'm not sure you realize how much distance there is, and how shitty the roads will be.
And once you'll be stuck somewhere in Russia with a broken 4L and the closest spare part is 3000km away, and your fuel is freezing in your fuel tank because the car was never designed to tackle -25°c, and the only way out is an helicopter you can't call because you don't speak russian and they don't speak english and it would take them at least a couple hours to get to your place, maybe you'll start to realize why this wasn't such a good idea in the first place.
This sirt of thing would already be very dangerous in a new car, doing it in an old, beaten up shitbox held together by tape is suicidal.
>inb4 but that guy went arround the world in a CX
with a convoy
>inb4 but muh Top Gear trips
with a fucking convoy
>inb4 it's a great trainign for the 4L trophy
the 4l trophy is a meme, it's motorsport for people who don't like motorsport and the only sucessful attempt at making it hip and quirky. You're essentially going on an "adventure" doign the speed limite on spanish countryside roads.
>>
File: door to hell.jpg (765KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
door to hell.jpg
765KB, 2000x1000px
>>16658971
Well that's why they recommand using a Micra, lots of parts available during the whole trip

A 4L is shit, I changed my mind anyways

I barely speak Russian, Greek and arabian ( arab is like a second tongue to us)

There's still a "convoy-like" mindset, there's always two to three cars teamed up for the whole trip

>the 4l trophy is a meme

4L trophy is shit, should be exclusively for students but it's overpriced and there's something wrong with giving school equipments in the middle of february

I don't want to ruin myself for charity desu

I'm much more interested in racing but travelling to Iran seems so fun and interesting and visiting Turkmenistan's gateway to hell would be great
>>
>>16659169
>travelling to Iran seems so fun and interesting and visiting Turkmenistan
If you plan on taking that route rather than Russia, then you will have a whole other bunch of problem, like going through Anatolia, bits of which are essentially a warzone ; many, many countries in the close middle-east might not let you pass at all, it will be hell for visas even if you can pay you way through, etc. And central-asian countries are not accessible. At all. the only exception would be Kazakhstan. Turkmenistan is pretty much still a sovietic dictatorship and if you have a turkish or iranian visa from earlier, they will not allow you in, Kyrgyzstan is properly anal when it comes to border control, complete with walls and barb-wire and (I might be wrong, the info is old) it is near impossible to get in if you have anything that can take a picture or film.
Seriously, a lot of these places are interesting, full of great stuff to see but they are politically backwards to an extend that might be hard to imagine at first.
Oh, and let's not forget that it means you might have to go through China. Through shitty, continental desertic China. And you do NOT want to do that.
also
>(arab is like a second tongue to us)
Va chier, [nom à vague sonorité arabe qui ne correspond pas au dialecte d'origine de la personne en question]
>>
File: image.jpg (370KB, 2949x1340px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
370KB, 2949x1340px
>>16658960
>comedy exemption
I know what car you should use...
>>
You can come through Russia, I will help translating shit for you if you need
>>
>>16653607
Some friends of mine are doing it with a 1973 Renault R6 lol. They got sponsored buy a shop that gives them replacement parts and some other sponsors give them funds to buy gas, food,etc.
>>
>>16653607
Hey OP, Italian here.
Over here there was a common tax evasion scam involving sponsorships.
Basically you asked a business for a higher-than-necessary sum of money, the business writes the money off from its taxes and you give them back the money you don't need in cash.
This way they get to keep the cash, untaxed, and enjoy what is basically free money, while you get the sponsorship you need and enjoy your race.

This kind of scam was rampant up until the early 2000s, when it became so obvious the government had to step in and solve the situation, basically making sponsorship much harder to get and putting businesses who donate money under control. You still can do the same thing today, but it's much harder and there is a lot of additional bureaucracy involved, plus the risk of a fiscal check is very high for the sponsoring business.

I don't know if it works the same way over there, but you could try doing this if you can't find someone willing to actually sponsor your car.

Nowadays the main legal loophole is creating a team as a sporting club under the no-profit organization tax bracket and enjoy some tax advantages. This also means you are no longer a private citizen enjoying a hobby, but you are technically a business doing no-profit stuff (you can even appoint yourself as the CEO and give yourself a wage if you have the funds) and makes it easier to deal with other businesses when you want to get money from them.
>>
>>16659319
Fuck yeah. Not even American, but the Dukes were damned cool.
>>
>>16659432
Maybe they'll have a "comedy exemption" for a car 6 liters over the maximum.

Also, it goes without saying you'd win
>>
>>16659214
Yeah you're right but how comes 90% of the racers go through Iran and shit ?
It's difficult but not impossible !
And I'll go on 4x4, just gotta go off-road to avoid the sodomy at the frontier

Yeah of course you're a cuck, gotta learn arabian fast if you want to keep your balls during the next forty years

>>16659319
Wouldn't mess it up just for fun
People drove a ferrari to Mongolia as some people say

>>16659333
Yeah nice what part of Russia ? The Rally ends just above Ulan Bator

>>16659339
Oh that's pretty good
Wish I could find some sponsors who would give me shit like that

>>16659404
I don't know shit about the sponsorship evasion, I don't think it's a thing in France
>>
>>16654465
>panda
do you know how much power panda's engine produce? you + your friends + your luggage + spare parts...
>>
>>16661629
>It's difficult but not impossible !
Certainly.
But don't expect to plow into a straight line or on the opposite end make course adjustments all the time because there are neat things to se here and there. Do a lot of research about it before hand, plan your entire course according to where you can go from where, stuff like that.
Oh, and just in case : if you have ever been to Israel, don't even hope to be allowed anywhere. Literally, the entire region has a ban on israeli nationals, and regularly refuses people who had visas to get into Israel (the opposite is equally true)
>>
>>16661674
That's the point

You can't get above 1.0l, it's the only rule
>>
>>16661685
Get a Panda 4x4 then.
I can't think of an affordable car with that sort of engine that would survive it better. The Panda is alright but its 4x4 model is simply unkillable and it can literally go anywhere.
>t. vineyard-nigger arround whom 1st gen Panda 4x4 are still seen as the best possible vehicle and has no modern competitor that is as light, polyvalent and that can be fixed with a piece of barb wire and a lot of booze
>>
Where in london is the start line? i might go and watch the start
>>
>>16653607
You can't do it. It's more akin to the Baja 1000 than any rally on earth.
>>
File: buenov2.jpg (71KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
buenov2.jpg
71KB, 475x475px
>>16661711
Yeah I was thinking about that but it's not that cheap to get a 4x4, gotta pay like 2000 bucks

If I pay 2000 bucks for a car I might want to get it back from Mongolia

>mfw I will pimp dat panda with a schnorkel and sheit

>>16661741
Actually it's at Goodwood, closer to Portsmouth than from London
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.