[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Never driven a stick shift car before, But regularly drive a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: file.png (233KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
233KB, 600x400px
Never driven a stick shift car before, But regularly drive a motorcycle that has a clutch.

What do I need to know about how manual transmission works in cars?
>>
>>16649657
Its the same. But with your foot and hand reversed
>>
>>16649657
its almsto exactly the same driving it
>>
You need to red line it and dump the clutch to get it warmed up when you first start it
>>
Jeebus fucking Chribmas do we have to have 6 of these threads a day? YOU CANNOT LEARN HOW TO DRIVE STICK ON THE FUCKING INTERNET. You have to go somewhere and practice. It's going to be awkward. You won't be good at it in a day. It's not a fucking Google search. Just go to some empty parking lot somewhere and figure it the fuck out for yourself.

Yes I'm mad.
>>
>>16649657
Don't try and force the shifter into a gear, it'll go in by itself with only a bit of pressure.

this is especially true when going 5 > 4 because if you're not careful you'll go 5 > 2 instead.

Other than that, clutch works the same but don't try and slip it excessively because it's not bathed in oil like a bike's.

Don't try and force it into first at any more than a snail's pace because the car won't like it.

Practice in a quiet environment before you go out onto more busy roads.

Practicing the shift pattern while the car's off is a big help imo, makes finding 5th easier.

t. biked for 2.5 years before I car'd.

>>16649663
Not really, bikes are sequential and cars aren't so it's not just up or down for gears.
>>
>>16649657
don't ride clutch like a newb
>>
Don't slip the clutch.
>>
If you already know how to slip the clutch with your hand and shift with your foot, then you're already good to go with a car. The only difference is that neutral is easier to find than a liquor store in Vegas.
>>
>>16649657
It's not sequential, the clutch isn't optional, the revs are way lower, torque covers a lot of sins, and that crunching scraping noise is expensive.
>>
>>16649657

You should review this video to learn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESv4_wPo364
>>
doing 2-3 palm the shift up and let it slide into the middle instead of looking for 3rd yourself
same for 5-4
>>
I think it is slightly harder on a car. On a bike you can feel the friction zone before since you are on it and will move forward easier. On a car, you have added distraction such as radio that if loud enough will not let you hear the engine, and you !Ay not be able to feel the friction zone good enough due to hydraulic clutch vs cable.

Then on hills, on a bike you can keep it from rolling back with your legs, and have two brakes to use. And a car nothing to hold it from rolling it back apart from e brake and brake. My e brake doesn't really work either, so I have to do the brake stand.
>>
>>16650549
I second the recommendation. Having a solid grasp of what you're supposed to do takes time and pain out of the learning process.
>>
Dont let your rpms go too low or too high, shift up or down when you feel like you are loosing power
>>
>>16651862
This, you don't need to ever force the shifter anywhere, just guide it into place with a gentle open grip.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.