[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

wet sanding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: swirl marks.jpg (16KB, 252x191px) Image search: [Google]
swirl marks.jpg
16KB, 252x191px
so my car has pic related swirl marks on it. i tried removing them with a polisher using compound, polish and wax but they are still there. after doing some research i guess these are"below the surface" scratches. i guess these have to be wet sanded right? any bodyshop fags know how i can remove them from my car? should it be wetsanded? what kind of grit sand paper should i use? my car is a used car
>>
>>16626347
Wet sand will make them worse
>>
Repaint your car
>>
are you kidding m8?
>>
just take it to a detailer
>>
>>16626347
You need an abrasive compound, not a hybrid cut/polish fool. That will come out
>>
These aren't "below the surface". You may just have very hard paint. Wet sanding WOULD work if you knew exactly what you were doing.

I'd suggests a more aggressive compound with a microfiber cutting pad. Then less aggressive, then polish. Wet sanding is extremely aggressive.
>>
>>16626347
If you have to ask this question you are not capable of doing anything other than fucking it up by wet sanding
>>
>>16626617
oh okay. i used meguiars ultimate compound. should i try their M105 ultra cut compound?

>>16627086
i currently have foam cutting pad(orange pad). would that be just fine?
>>
>>16627567
Jeebus you dumb twat, for the car's sake take it to a pro detailer before you fuck it up any further. If you're on here asking FUCKING /o/ HOW TO DETAIL YOUR CAR you are not qualified to do it.
>>
>>16627614
you're right. cause /o/ knows jack shit about fixing/detailing cars as much as /v/ knows jack shit about games.
>>
File: e047387b81a6480ab69ddf20d77d8bda.png (171KB, 1000x350px) Image search: [Google]
e047387b81a6480ab69ddf20d77d8bda.png
171KB, 1000x350px
(part 1)

I've been detailing for a while now so I'll try to help out

For the type of swirls you have right now, wet sanding is a fix but is unnecessary.

Get yourself a dual action polisher and use Meguair's M105, this is a cutting compound.
This will cut down your clearcoat by micrometers. Watch some videos on YouTube to see exactly how to use one.
If you don't use the DA polisher properly, you can cut too deep into the clearcoat which will cause the paint to be exposed.

Always go with the least aggressive method first.
You can try waxing the area first to see if it will fill the imperfections.
If those imperfections are gone or nearly gone, then you know the imperfections are not too deep.
So you can use a polisher instead like a M205, however if you can see some deep scratches, try the 105.
The 105 is for cutting and leveling the clear coat, the 205 is for polishing.

Imagine tiny bumps on your clear coat, once these bumps are leveled down by a cutting compound
they still leave a sharp point on top of it since the cutting compound is aggressive.
With a polisher compound, those sharp point will be soft and even flat. With that you won't see any swirls.
To remove the wax, you can use soap or alcohol to remove the wax from the clear coat.

If the wax test does not work, then it means the scratches are much deeper.
With wet sanding, get some waterproof sandpaper. Try going 600, 1200, 2000 and 3000 too if you want it to be perfect.
The method of wetsanding is a bit dangerous to your paint if you're a novice at this.
They key is to be extremely patient. Keep applying water to the area and start sanding
make sure the sandpaper is always flat and never go fast on the edges, this will scrape your clearcoat.
Once the clearcoat starts becoming hazy and you can't see any of the reflections, then go start increasing grit.
The rest of the stages you don't need to spend too much time on. The initial 600 grit used was to remove the imperfections of the clearcoat.
>>
File: DSC_0045 (2) - Edited.jpg (3MB, 4100x2723px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0045 (2) - Edited.jpg
3MB, 4100x2723px
>>16628196
(part 2)

The rest of the levels are there for smoothing out rough areas of the clearcoat, caused by 600 grit. Once you reach 2000 or 300 grit. Use your DA polisher with cutting compound, gently take your time with it and if you get the hang of it you can increase the speed on the polisher.
Use a clean microfiber towel and clean off the area to see if it needs more work.
You don't want to cut too deep into the clearcoat.

Try to make some patch areas and divide your workspace, so you can focus on areas
and give them a detailed clean up. It will also allow you to compare to see if you can make your
previous areas detailed a bit more.

A few tips:

If your car is old and the paint is showing some serious wear, then you need to be extra cautious and really take your time. If you try to finish in haste, then you can cut to the paint
which will make the car look worse.

Always use clean microfiber towels.

Try the least aggressive method first
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.