[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I have this idea, and I wonder why no-one else has done it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1486420198811.jpg (92KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
1486420198811.jpg
92KB, 750x500px
So I have this idea, and I wonder why no-one else has done it before.
A Wiki about cars and maintenance, where write-ups will be posted about every maintenance process and every mod people have done write-ups on.
It would be great to get new people into wrenching on their own cars, and it would promote vehicle awareness, why isn't this done?
>>
What are forums?

Also do you think that ordinary people are smarter than a mechanic?

>wrench themselves
>average American skipping ordinary manteinance made by a mechanic

KEK
>>
>>16625119
Yes, forums are great for in-depth info, but if you can collect all the basics in one spot for easier browsing, that would be beneficial would it not?
Also, not everyone is an "ordinary American", we're promoting awareness here, those who want it would be able to access the info more readily.
>>
>>16625093
What is YouTube
>>
I actually really like this idea. You can get the info on how to maintain a BMW vs a Honda, etc without having to deal with the cancerous and ugly forums. Do it anon!
>>
>>16625093
I think this is actually a pretty good idea. That way we can avoid sifting through forums and just have a public edited wiki on how to do different procedures to a particular car. You'd also have to integrate information as to when things changed over (for instance, this procedure applies to 91.5-93 Miata's). Might as well throw in all the other info about different engines, chassis, etc also so you can get an overview about the parts that are shared across models.
>>
Already exists, but it's paid subscription. The articles are reviewed and rated to make sure they are accurate. Can't remember what it's called, but lots of independent shops use it. Obviously a free/open access one would be worthless because
1. the people that actually know how to do the repairs have no reason to spend the time writing it up
2. the people who would write things up are more than likely incompetent
>>
>>16627261
Mitchell/Alldata
>>
>>16627261
Not like you couldn't just rip the info from forums to start with
>>
>>16627225
Might as well throw in any relevant info really.

>>16627261
That's why wikis are reviewed, what are references?
What are service manuals?
Still, you'd be providing to a home user audience with pictures and elaboration even if the quality isn't as high, and it'll likely attract enthusiasts who would love to correct that info.
>>
Start one then. I'll help write.
>>
>>16627494
I'm getting on it, my wife is configuring a server as is.
Is Wrenching wiki a good title? or just Wrench Wiki
>>
File: 1485834548009.jpg (628KB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
1485834548009.jpg
628KB, 2048x1360px
>>16625093

I see you've been on /opi/ today.

Sincerely,
Cornelius Crengerlan

P.S. /opi/ brothas 4 lyfe.
>>
>>16627544
call it 'lost the 10mm socket'
>>
Was thinking about this this past weekend when I couldn't find any information about doing a repair and got frustrated trying to reword my search a million times to get any hits.
>>
>>16627544
I love the idea desu...

start that bitch up, ill help to
>>
>>16627690
Even google is pretty trash nowadays for certain searches. No google, you're not being helpful, not google I meant what I typed.
>>
>>16627708

I fucking hate when it autocorrects something to what it thinks you meant.
>>
>>16627544
Name isn't really that important. I'm more wondering what you're going to run it on (i.e. standard MediaWiki or something custom?). There's a bunch of wiki software packages out there. One thing that I was thinking about was say I wanted to look for all cars that had a certain engine with a certain layout (like MR though the ending might've been used in an FF). Idk how wikis even handle that. Tables are cumbersome once the data is large enough and lists are a pain to maintain. Timelines are neat but don't allow you to narrow things down like my example.
>>
>>16627765
You can set wikis to automatically create lists and categories based on certain parameters, I'll think about it.

>>16627669
awww yea, never figured I'd find overlap in community for my two favourite boards.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.