[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I Need Your Help Pt. 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: car.jpg (156KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
car.jpg
156KB, 640x480px
/o/

About a week ago you all helped me with an issue for my 2003 Chevy Malibu V6 3.1L sedan (Lock Cylinder wouldn't move from OFF to any other position). With your help I was able to diagnose what was wrong and look for solutions.

Now I am calling for your help again.

Problem: Car is having trouble up shifting/speedometer needle is bouncing wildly up and down and/or not moving at all.

Details: Today as I was driving I noticed my speedometer needle bouncing up and down (between 10 and 30mph); after about 10 seconds of that I felt the car act "jerky" as if it wanted to shift up but could not. I had pulled over, put it P and let it cool down for a bit. After cooling down for about 5 minutes, I shifted in D and attempted to drive again. Immediately the needle began bouncing and couldn't upshift. So I shifted the car into 3 and the same problem was happening. I then moved it into 2 and thankfully it was able to upshift. At this point my RPM gauge was riding on 2000 rpms and my speedometer needle wasn't working at all (it was completely flat). I was able to limp the car home, and when I attempted to shift the car from 2 to R, I heard and felt a hard clanky sound; when I backed it in all the way I shifted from R to P and the same thing happened. Since then I have not started it, and I couldn't get a good look underneath it to see if there were any loose items.

I plan on seeing my mechanic today so we can atleast start to diagnose what is wrong. I would really appreciate any input you all have. If you need anymore information, please feel free to ask. Thank you all so much.
>>
bump for views
>>
>>16624182
>buying such a shit car
you dun goofed
>>
>>16624462
it's a winter car; i'll admit it's shit but until i get a bump in pay i have to work with it
>>
>>16624182
I think it's time to have the transmission fluid flushed and the transmission fluid filter changed. It's part of normal maintenance, but 90% of people ignore it.
>>
>>16625031
Alright, I'll mention that to my mechanic and see if he thinks that should be done. I'll admit, I don't know when the last time that service was done, if it was done.
>>
>>16625100
I would also have him check the transmission solenoids and the sensor for the speedometer (can't remember its name at the moment)
They should be fairly cheap fixes. Again, common issues usually resulting from ignored transmission maintenance.
>>
OP here: Just went to drop the car off at my mechanic; from some reason when the car is cold everything works normally; however earlier today my problems started when the car was warm. Not sure if that is important but decided to include it. I'll meet up with my mechanic later tonight and see what he says.
>>
>>16624975
>until i get a bump in pay i have to work with it
Why do the work yourself then?
>>
>>16625679
I try to do as much work as I can because I don't have the disposable income needed to pay someone else to work on it for me. Also I like learning about things and trying to solve them, but with autos I'm literally taking baby steps with it all.
>>
OP here again with another update: My mechanic was unable to recreate the problem I'm having - he said he drove it around for a while and didn't find any trouble with a bouncing speedo needle and jerky tranny shifting. I told him it only happens when the engine is warm; he told me drove the car around for a while getting it to operating temp.

Not sure why it's being selective. Again, if anyone can offer advice it is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>16625031
>flushing automatics
Don't listen to this guy op DO NOT FLUSH TRANSMISSION FLUID

Drain and refill.

Also sounds like your torque converter is dying. But I would replace the VSS first and see if that helps
>>
>>16627717
Alright, I won't have that done but can you explain why it should not be done? Also what the difference is between a flush and drain & refill?

As for the torque converter, I'll look more into that and see what I can find out. I guess in the mean time I'll buy a replacement VSS and see if that solves the problem.

Thank you.
>>
>>16624182
>2003 chevy malibu

Found your issue
>>
>>16629760
While I agree it's a shit car, please offer constructive help
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.