[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw learning stick >avoid the highway because not confident

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1397804866245.png (15KB, 580x606px) Image search: [Google]
1397804866245.png
15KB, 580x606px
>tfw learning stick
>avoid the highway because not confident with your stick shift driving yet
>the route home is extremely hilly. stop and go traffic on inclines
>momvans tailgating me on hills

RIP clutch, I wish I treated you better.
>>
>>16605388
>he doesn't realize that highway driving takes less shifting and effort than hill roads
>>
>>16605417
Don't reply to me
>>
>>16605420
>delet this
>>
Maybe someday
>>
File: 1481511462569.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1481511462569.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>16605422
s-stop
>>
>>16605388
yeah, i did the same thing. i didn't want to stall on the highway so i just stuck to the sideroads
>>
>>16605439
It is actually not possible to stall on the highway.... unless you are driving in stop and go rush hour. That is no different than back roads
>>
>doesn't understand he can put on the e-brake on hills so he doesn't roll backwards
Kek get gud
>>
>>16605417
I realize that but I'm more worried about control - getting my shifting to a point where I can consistently shift smoothly and efficiently. I also think that challenging city traffic and hilly roads are probably the best to learn clutch control, and control in general, since you need to react fast to all sorts of things.

The unfortunate thing is that I find myself riding the clutch constantly. I ride the clutch trying to park, I ride the clutch when I am in a turn and people are crossing so I need to creep a lot. I ride the clutch when I am trying to enter into a busy street from a side road. I also ride the clutch on hills because I always try to find the bite point some time before it's time to take off so that I don't panic and stall, and so that I don't delay the cars behind me and make them honk at me and stress me out.

People say riding the clutch is bad, and I am worried that my use of the clutch is excessive. It just seems necessary for me most of the time but I am realizing I use it a lot.
>>
>>16605479
If I were in your shoes (which I have been at one point) I wouldn't worry how smooth your shifts are. If you shifted, you're golden. They'll get smoother with experience. Give it a few weeks and they'll get there good enough. Stop riding the clutch, that's a bad habit.
>>
>>16605524
What do you do in lieu of riding the clutch in situations when you need to have a lot of control and very slow movement? Seems like a catch 22.
>>
>>16605479
Forgot to add that riding the clutch while parking and creeping your car is pretty standard shit. Riding it while turning or moving faster isnt normal.
>>
>>16605479
Stop trying to creep the car around. Just stop if you are waiting for so.eone to cross the road, you don't need to move. Learn to use the cars momentum to pull into parking spots. Just idle along and fully disengage the clutch and the car will roll for a while
>>
>>16605553
Sometimes OP has to though. Like creeping through a drive through, tight parking garages, etc. Those are normal places to ride the clutch a bit.
>>
>>16605541
Ride the brake.
>>
>>16605541
I don't understand why everyone rides the clutch when they first start, I didn't even realize that I had to ride the clutch at all until a month of driving stick.
>>
>>16605388
Taking off with a manual(including hill starts)
>With foot on brake, push the clutch in and select desired gear(usually first, sometimes second)
>With foot still on brake, release clutch until you feel it bite and hold it there
>Release brake, push the accelerator while letting the clutch out fully
>And you're off

It's literally that easy... but then again you're probably driving a <3.0 liter shitbox that doesn't have enough power to pull a greased string from a cats ass
>>
File: 1483071832460.png (415KB, 469x567px) Image search: [Google]
1483071832460.png
415KB, 469x567px
>>16605590
It seems intuitive. Especially when I need to go very slow. I first learned to drive on an automatic transmission and thus I am very used to pumping the brake if I need to creep. Riding the clutch is a substitute for this, because rolling in first gear without giving it gas can be too fast in some situations (like easing into a turn as people are crossing, for instance).

I also ride the clutch by finding the bite point. I am trying now to avoid doing it at stop lights but when I am on a hill, especially with cars behind me, I'm going to try to find the bite point with my foot on the brake well in advance and feel that friendly vibration that tells me I'm not going to roll into the momvan behind me and lose my license.

I don't know, I guess I need a lot of practice, but I know I'm looking at at least 1-2k in repairs by the time I'm decent at driving.
>>
>>16605615
I've gotten better at starting from hills because I am practicing often but I do hold down the clutch a little too long and sometimes I overrev when I panic.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.