[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BATTLE CARS Does? Anyone have any experience with demolition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (125KB, 1320x745px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
125KB, 1320x745px
BATTLE CARS

Does? Anyone have any experience with demolition Derbies?
What's the general concensous on them? Is it bad because it's purposely destroying cars?
I'm thinking about getting into them but how do other drivers think of people that do this?
Is there any easier way to get into real auto comptetions?
>>
>>16599863
>those tires
These guys take it too seriously.

It's good for shitty, older cars that are at the end of the life. Maybe they're too rusted or the frame is bent, etc, making it completely not viable to be put back on the road.

It's just a way to recycle these things and give them some glory before the crusher.

I love my car but I don't love yours.. Do whatever you want with yours. Recycling and getting some fun out of it is a better way to go than the back of a tow truck imo.
>>
>>16599863
are there regulations for this kind of thing? couldn't you make a rollcage for the engine bay and dominate?
>>
>>16600172
There are regulations. I think the only welding you're allowed is beams along the sides and a roll cage inside.
You can't add stuff and make the motor impenetrable.
>>
>>16600172
>has never seen a derby

Engine damage is rarely what cripples these cars. They don't typically run long enough to even die from lack of oil or coolant. They're in a dirt square with other beaters: these fuckers drive around with 3/8 cylinders firing, missing an air filter, thru-hood pipes, and zip ties holding the radiator on. It's part of what I like about derbies: zero fucks given.

Mostly it's broken driveline pieces, or flat tires making them move too slowly and get beaten up while stationary, that kills the car. Transmission issues are common as well since you essentially grind into every gear at full throttle.

There are rules against concrete in your bumpers and doors, stuff like that. More about safety of other drivers than cheating, really. They have to pass inspections, but no clue what the real regulations are.
>>
>>16600237
now I want to make an event that allows more fun shit. the liability forms will be a mile long but I want car-robot wars.
>>
>>16600249
You're right about the drivelinse stuff.
Usually people ram people in reverse so they don't destroy their own engines but they end up destroying the back wheels and most the cars are rwd so that's problematic.
A lot of the motors in the cars are in tip top shape though. There's one guy at my local derby that bought a brand new LS1 motor and put it in a demo car and after the car was destroyed he took it out and put it in his car the next year and has been doing it for a while like that
>>
>>16600254
You'd probably enjoy the crazy 8 race we have. It's mostly shitty 90s compact cars with a steal beam across the driver's side and they just race and destroy each other. There's like 8 cars in it at once
>>
what if you made them remote control with booths like those arcade driving games?
>>
>>16600327
no fun when there's no risk of death tho
>>
>>16600344
Exactly
>>
>>16600291
I've seen videos of some pretty fast, hard hitting, expensive looking cars at derbies but I've never been to one. I know some of the guys around here that do derbies a few times a year, they tend to spend less than 500 bucks on the car+repairs per year (except the roll cage.. Some people do it properly, and it's expensive).
>>
>>16600499
I'm probably looking at $500+ just for a car. Old cars are more expensice here because this close the the ocean the rust out so fast
>>
>>16600636
South eastern Canada, rust is an issue here too.

That's why we see more small 4 bangers than anything. Usually there's 4-5 heats of shit boxes and only 1 or 2 for the v8s. But people around here are all poor mechanics who own 3-4 vehicles at all times. Generally there's lots of running but road-unsafe cars lying around, perfect for derbies.
>>
>>16600713
Ours has a land barge, truck, crazy 8 race, jump your junk, and a compact one I think. Ours isn't huge, it's just the county Fair
>>
>>16600744
Also it all happens twice. There's an afternoon show and an evening. Basically after the afternoon every has a couple hours to get their cars running again. Which it pretty cool actually
I might pick a car up from Canada to do it with. (I live 5 miles from the border and the exchange rate would save me a few bucks.) The only thing that's bad about a Canadian Car is the speedometer is in km. Which doesn't matter at all for this
>>
>>16600744
Yeah that's way cooler than ours. Ours is just a small derby. I've seen larger ones but never with races or jumps or any of the cool dangerous stuff.

Unless you count playing Test Drive: Eve of Destruction.
>>
>>16600825
I feel like the crazy eight race would be a lot of fun. Plus I could buy a shitty Honda for a couple hundred bucks and that's all you need
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.