[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oil thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 71bdTtsWEGL._SL1500_.jpg (243KB, 761x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71bdTtsWEGL._SL1500_.jpg
243KB, 761x1500px
What are all you guys using in your shitb/o/xes? I've been using the newish castrol edge high mileage, so far it's been great. Still clean after about 2500 miles.

My only problem with it is that nobody seems to carry it in 10w40, and it doesn't seem to exist in a 5 quart jug. $60 on amazon for 6 quarts, and the lowest I've seen it locally is $9.50/qt at advance auto parts. Anyone know anywhere that has it cheaper?
>>
>>16590174
15-w40 suits my shitbox ls just fine.

high milage around 150k miles yankunits i thik
>>
>>16590174
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-Edge-with-Syntec-Power-Technology-10W40-Motor-Oil-1-qt/17253573

Ship it to local store and the shipping is free.
>>
Just changed to Pennzoil High mileage 5W-30 in my '99 Integra LS w/ 156K miles on the odometer.

How did I do?
>>
File: IMG_6296.gif (3MB, 400x327px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6296.gif
3MB, 400x327px
>>
Simple question: if my engine was rebuilt 36K ago, but has 202,000 miles total, should I still use high mileage oil or does it matter?
>>
>>16590920
The main reason to use high mileage oils is for the seal swell additives they put in them to make it stop leaking/leak less. If you replaced all the seals in your engine when it was rebuilt I wouldn't worry about it until you get to about 75-100k after your rebuild.

>>16590632
What filter did you use? Pennzoil that isn't the full synthetic is pretty meh tier, it's not the best oil you could get but it's also not bad either.
>>
>>16590920
>should I still use high mileage oil or does it matter?

If I had the seals replaced, I would continue using regular oil (NON high mileage). As the other poster said, the high mileage variation of oils have chemicals that cause the seals to swell a little bit, thus reducing or stopping leaks. But if you make the seals swell when it is not necessary, the seals may be a little tighter than necessary.
>>
>>16590174
15w50 mobil. has cool additives for my skid cam and it's a great deal at walmart
>>
Either mobile 1 non synthetic 10w-40 or Valvoline non synthetic 10w-40.

It mixes with the fuel anyway, not gonna burn expensive oil. That and synthetic oil turns to carbon more readily when burned so I'd rather not carbon lock an apex seal.
>>
>>16591309
>As the other poster said, the high mileage variation of oils have chemicals that cause the seals to swell a little bit, thus reducing or stopping leaks. But if you make the seals swell when it is not necessary, the seals may be a little tighter than necessary.

isn't this an old wives tale about synthetic vs dino oil lol
>>
>>16590632
I ran Pennzoil high mileage or Castro gtx high mileage with a fram high mileage filter for the 3 years I owned my 1994 integrated from 136K to 198K.

Not a single issue. It's good oil anon. get a high mileage filter to pair with a high mileage oil change
>>
>>16591436
Synthetic oil has flame retardants in it too, so you'd be reducing your fuel's ability to combust properly unless you remove the oil injection system to premix instead.
>>
>>16590174
AutoZone
>>
>>16591454
I too own an integrated
>>
File: 248089_55822efdabfff179862853.png (439KB, 481x826px) Image search: [Google]
248089_55822efdabfff179862853.png
439KB, 481x826px
just did a service recently I usually stick with the following

>Penrite HPR 5
I looked at the Castrol edge 5-30 but it was $20 more than the penrite synthetic
>Penrite pro gear 75w-90 for the MT

It is a great engine oil and I change it every 10 000km or 6 months (realistically 6 months and 5000km because city). I don't see any benefits to switching to edge for my little econobox, especially with the already frequent changes.
>>
Amsoil old European blend or some such.
>>
>>16590174
>What are all you guys using in your shitb/o/xes?
Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W20 full synthetic with the Fram Ultra synthetic filter. The oil database tests at 230 degree Fahrenheit operating temperature shows its oil film has much better performance than the Mobile1 full synth oil. Mobile1 after merging with Exxon seems to be mostly riding its laurels instead of pushing ahead.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.