[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT/SQT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 66

File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (189KB, 1678x942px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
189KB, 1678x942px
>No dumbasses answer dumbass questions from other dumbasses thread
Anyway, I've been seeing a lot of <5 year old white cars with significant browning/yellowing, is this from UV or just lazy shitheads not cleaning dirt off?
>>
is redlining an engine to clear the carbon deposits a meme?
>>
>>16582743
lazy assholes not washing their white vehicles
>when clearcoat gets old it gets translucent yellow then opaque white then flakes off
>very visible on white vehicles

>>16583595
no, it's called an italian tuneup
>>
>>16583653
how can I redline it when it's an automatic truck?
if I put it in P or N, isn't redlining it that way bad for the engine iirc?
>>
File: 300000miles.jpg (97KB, 700x372px) Image search: [Google]
300000miles.jpg
97KB, 700x372px
why did ALL 80's 4 bangers rev to the moon in overdrive on the highway?
its like they didnt care about mpg or noise
>>
File: 016.png (50KB, 711x286px) Image search: [Google]
016.png
50KB, 711x286px
>>16583679
>1) put in Drive
>2) hold brake with left foot
>3) press accelerator with right foot
>4) acquire desired RPMs
>5) release brake (left foot)
>>
>>16583679
of course not. put it in low and wind it up for a few miles.
>>
>>16583688
At one time, the federal highway maximum speed limit was 55 MPH. Overdrive was designed accordingly.
>>
>>16583741
the v6 and v8 cars were ok though!
>>
Hey all, americuck faggot who fell for the BMW meme, please help.

So I got home from class about an hour ago and noticed shit in my driveway, at first it looked dark like motor oil, but after getting out of the car and inspecting it, it seemed like water, however in the sun it has this blue/green reflectiveness almost like gasoline.

Anyway, I managed to get some on some cardboard, then onto my hand and it felt like water so I'm thinking it's all good.

However what's concerning me is that when I popped my hood to make sure my engine wasn't covered in shit, the plastic/rubber feet that stop the hood from making metal to metal contact with my engine bay were fucking melting, is this just a feature of german engineering or is my car fucked until I can find and fix the leak?
Thanks in advance.
>>
>>16583694
torque converter wont allow that
if the stall value on your converter is 1500rpm the wheels will spin a bit before that.
Most stock torque converters arnt that high in rpm
>>
File: Hitchhiker-Luxemburg-1977.jpg (181KB, 781x594px) Image search: [Google]
Hitchhiker-Luxemburg-1977.jpg
181KB, 781x594px
my truck's exhaust has a faint smell of gas when I start it first thing in the morning. I don't smell gas at any other time, and the truck runs fine. should I be worried?
>>
>>16584730
probably just the mixture running rich for startup
>>
File: 1481831487801.jpg (19KB, 439x196px) Image search: [Google]
1481831487801.jpg
19KB, 439x196px
considering they're in a comparable price/mileage range, which should i buy if i want a practical, moderately fast highway cruiser:

2001-2005 lexus is300 (2jz-ge)
2007+ V6 camry (2gr-fe)
1991-2001 LS400 (1uz-fe)
>>
I just bought a 2000 VW gti from a family friend for 750$. When the time comes, where should I look for a chip tune?

APR seems popular but I've heard their tunes will grenade your engine.
>>
>>16584932
vr6?
>>
>>16584988
1.8T
>>
>>16585163
enjoy your coilpacks.
>>
File: HYN-96023.jpg (23KB, 313x400px) Image search: [Google]
HYN-96023.jpg
23KB, 313x400px
I'm trying to find a manual for the b6 Passat (2005-10) but can't seem to find any. Is there something I'm missing?

>>16584932
My brother had late 90s GTI Vr6 and loved it. $3000. He's a VW nerd though,before that he had an 83 rabbit
>>
I want to get a fun, new(ish) hatchback to hoon around in, and I'm looking at a 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth. Seems like a good car within my price range, and honestly I'm a sucker for Italian badges and aesthetic, otherwise I'd probably get a Fiesta or something.

Are there any major issues or problems with the car I should know about before going in? Any particular reason I should stay away from them?
>>
>>16586261
The dash is buttfuck ugly
>>
>>16586261
lowest reliability rating of almost any car manufacturer. overstressed tiny engine. quality italian electronics.
>>
>>16586279
Subjective, my dude.

>>16586288
Fair enough, I'll take that into consideration. I think I may like the car enough to take those faults in stride.
>>
File: 1473039836462.jpg (114KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1473039836462.jpg
114KB, 720x960px
>>16586323
That shifter placement.
>>
File: project-porsche-944-turbo.jpg (28KB, 660x438px) Image search: [Google]
project-porsche-944-turbo.jpg
28KB, 660x438px
Lads I love the 944 shape.
What are some other cars that aren't a money pit with similar shape and 4 seats?
>>
https://eastnc.craigslist.org/cto/5947484055.html

Should I buy this? Called dealer and he said the reason for low price was paint.
>>
>>16586323

I worked at a Honda/Chevy/Fiat dealership as a lot attendant and did a lot of deliveries / dealer trades for Fiat a few years ago. The 500 Abarth is the slowest piece of shit I've had the displeasure of driving. To even get to 40 MPH at the same rate of moderate acceleration a Civic/Corolla would, you have to absolutely wring its neck. Thanks to the fart can on the back, everyone around you knows you're laying on it too. I get that it's not made for straight line speed, but just general driving is depressing unless you're in low-speed twisties at all times. Getting up to normal speed limits is embarrassing, and it was the first time I've ever experienced that outside of the smart cars we'd get in on trades.

Every mechanic that had to work on them wanted to kill themselves. The Fiat dealership closed 1 year ago, owner had enough sense to not renew contract and drop them.
>>
File: images.jpg (8KB, 283x178px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 283x178px
>>16584780
there is only one answer
>>
File: 20170131_145121.jpg (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20170131_145121.jpg
2MB, 1440x2560px
Is it bad that this doesn't connect to anything (car is a 1999 Mitsubishi galant)
Also what do I do if my oil drainage screw won't come off I can get it to turn it just doesn't come off
>>
If I'm going to buy a cheap z31, specifically an 87 2+2, what are the key things to look for. I have a few options ranging from $1,500 to $5,000 but I'd rather come out lower obviously, so if I come out cheaper getting the $1,500 one and fixing a few small things, I'd like to know what to look for.
>>
Does 90' geo prizm/ Corolla (EE90) have some kind of indication for Jack points? cuz I accidentaly jacked cars rails and damaged(squished) them a bit also for an pol change should I get a copper ring for oil plug?
>>
>>16587974
That's a rerun of the first Fiat fuckup. They are trash because Italians can build pretty vehicles but abominate reliable machinery.
>>
>>16588393
Owners manual, service manual, brand specific forum.
>>
I can't find any Haynes manuals for the b6 Passat (05-10). Do you they just not exist? Is there something similar I can find?
Why wouldn't they have them?
>>
>>16588408
I wish so, but I cannot find service manual in my country at all(not even haynes manual), only choice is to order it from outside which I would but I want the whole set. Brand specific forums take literal months between replys. Was hoping for an anons with tercel or some shit to help me as they are pretty similiar.
>>
>>16583694
>>16583679
neutral and full gas
>>
File: IMG_20160815_19071010522.jpg (2MB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160815_19071010522.jpg
2MB, 1632x1224px
18, trying to get my shit together.

I'm stuck with this 2007 Dodge Caliber until I earn enough for a new DD.

205,000 miles, original motor/trans, $600-700 in loan/lien fees that my parents never paid because they stopped driving it.

The transmission had started overheating on hot days or when faced with many hills. It's a CVT, (Jatco JF011E automatic), so I have no transmission dipstick. Do I get it flushed? I have no idea what condition the fluid is in but I doubt it's pretty, although I'm afraid that it might start slipping if there is debris keeping it together.

It's been sitting outside on a slightly sloped driveway for 2 years.

Right now it starts OK every time when I jump it, but I haven't driven it anywhere since it isn't registered.

What do I need to check before I start using it as my DD? here is what I have come up with so far.

Frozen brakes/seized calipers
rusted rotors
shot wheel bearings
flat spotted tires/cracked tires ( the rear tires were flat but seem to be holding air again)
cracked/dry rotted rubber lines
check belts
condensation in gas tank?
Check fuel pump condition
suspension is probably very worn

change battery
change oil
change coolant
change brake fluid
change/flush tranny
replace fuel filter
replace oil filter
Clean HVAC intake
Change motor mounts

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

>inb4 srt4 swap
>>
>'83 Oldsmobile Firenza Cruiser
>with a manual
>virtually no rust
>under 100k miles
>been watching it for months and price dropped from a thousand to 700 bucks

Why shouldn't I buy an old j-body shitbox?
>>
>>16589009

Go buy it
>>
>>16588941
CVT Fluid is expensive. How much do you have saved up right now?

You have it pretty much all down, but I'd suggest just getting your own car with a smaller list of problems and ride the bus for now.

3k can get you a lot of things, not sporty or fast, but it can get you a DD for sure. I'm sure if you truly save up you can get 3k in no time.
>>
>>16587995
i want a sedan, desu. also there are no sc300s near me.
>>
I'm bidding on a '97 Fairmont, $1000USD at the moment but I expect it could go up to $1500

200,000 Kms
Looked in good condition, tread depth was a bit low, about 2mm, no leaks I could see

Anyone want to talk me off the ledge? My last car was a BMW 3 series coupe that bent me over and raped me for repair costs, I was 16 and didn't notice the nigger rigging like duct tape on the air exhaust, shattered glass in the rear speakers (obvious reaerending, especially with the paint job). I don't want to get fucked again.
>>
>>16589082

I have around $700

Focusing on getting hired right now, there's a grocery store and a CVS within walking distance that I'm going to apply for.

yeah, I'm considering just doing the bare minimum in maintenance and just parting the car out when the tranny blows. I feel like I shouldn't fix it up much because of the fees.
>>
>>16583679
Be careful some older vehicles don't have rev limiters.
>>
>>16583882
Not sure what the issue with the feet, but you probably shouldn't run the car until you find out fluids you're actually leaking,.
>>
>>16587583
Rx7, 280zx
>>
where is the vinbro threads, I really need some hondas looked up im trying to buy!
>>
What's the best radar detector performance wise? Do cheap ones suffer in performance significantly?
>>
I can't pass smog on my 1997 Jeep. There are two codes that won't open. The catalytic converter and air evaporation (?) something code. I've driven 500 miles and it still won't open.

Anything I can do? I've had a 2004 Audi before that took me over 1,000 miles before the codes opened and even then I had to take it to a professional to fix.

Will they open by themselves or is this a sign of something worse? I was thinking of changing the catalytic converter, but I don't want to risk wasting money.
>>
Dumb question. Trying to get an older muscle car, late 90s early 2000s. Is there a sweetspot in miles to buy used without too many crippling problems
>>
>>16589662
Budget 11k
>>
What are some general /o/ Discords I can join?

Yes yes, I know... Discord, but no one uses anything else.
>>
My dampers in my car are one-way adjustable, each with a knob that goes from 1 (softest) to 4 (hardest).

Suppose I set my dampers to hardest, does that mean the springs compress at a slower rate and the weight transfer isn't as fast when I am cornering?
>>
My car makes some weird ass harmonic vibration noises when I turn to the right

>normal straight line driving
vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
>start turning to the right, the harder i turn at speed the more pronounced it gets
vrrWUBRRWUBRRWUBRRWUBRRWUBRRWUBRRWUB

Anyone know what the fuck?
>>
Accidentally got used 5w20 in my hair while changing my oil. Will there be negative side effects?
>>
>>16589662
>Older muscle car
>Late 90s early 2000s
I don't even consider my turd gen Camaro an older muscle car
>>
File: 20170131_112706_zpswzffghcx.jpg (353KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
20170131_112706_zpswzffghcx.jpg
353KB, 1024x576px
I've narrowed down what cars I wanted to look at (provided they're still available in 1 to 2 weeks), pic related is a good second choice for me.

Is it possible to accurately speculate what the undercarriage of the car would look like based on the engine bay? What would those brown stuff even be? Plain dirt/dust or even salt?

Dealer says in ad that it has a rust module and is oil sprayed. How sneaky would it be for the dealer to have the undercarriage sprayed AFTER it has already been salt-rusted? Could I even tell with a quick picture with my phone?

I am tempted for this mazdaspeed6. Other choice I'm looking at is a corolla XRS (2006).
>>
>>16589296
>4 seats
>>
Soup /o/

What affordable v12 engine could I use in a kit car?

I was thinking of a 850ci engine since it can cannibalize some 840ci parts.
>>
Will the Vortec 4200 fit in a 240z?
>>
Is there a way to hire someone to find a rarer car for you? Is this a real service?
>>
Jag xjs maybe
>>
>been looking at an old 1988 Honda 125cc bike.
>know nothing about riding a bike, but want to learn and use it during summer when city is congested (Car is a drag when driving to college and back in heat rush).
>The bike has 8000km. Owner wants to sell it for 650 euro backs, im planning to offer 300 to him 350 max.
>not sure I want to get my bike licence or even register it.
>can do every repair on the thing itself.
also where do I store the bike when out in city? I can`t imagine just parking it wherever since IT would be unregistered and im not sure how easy they are to steal.
>>
Could something like this be dd'able? It would be really cool to be able to put out fires that I come across. If I saw a qt on the side of the interstate with her car on fire, I could pull over, extinguish it, and say something like "is your ass on fire too? Because i got a hose if you want it..."

https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5944393948.html
>>
Any time I have any bit of money saved up, I instantly want to blow it on another shitbox.

I've at points in my life, had up to 4 shitboxes, all tagged and insured in my driveway.

It's an addiction. Like, I have 1500 in my account right now, and all I want to do is buy a junk RX-7, or a shitty Firebird, or a BMW.
>>
>>16584932
Id reccomend looking into Unitronic's tunes
Currently running their 830cc tune, before that their Stg 1+ no issues

Cant vouch for the other comapnies but I havent heard anything good about APR
>>
>>16589919
It makes your dampeners softer or stiffer depending on the setting.
>>
>>16587583
I mean I've had my 944 for 7 years now and no problems. literally just basic maintenance and I re-did the front end tie rods, brakes , rear brakes, swapped the fuel filter twice and replaced the tires. whilst its expensive WHEN it does break, i've yet to experience the issue
>>
>>16588076
Drill it out with an EZ out. as for your tube to nothing, Im fairly certain thats your coolant vent, so when you do a flush, all you gotta do is squeeze the rad line a few times to get the air out, the vent helps prevent back pressure/air bubbles.
>>
>>16588423
Get the official workshop manual from VW
>>
>>16590172
could be
>axle mounts
>shot bearings
>shot bushings
>loose, fucked tie-rod, tie-rod ends
look for any leaks too, never know if you hit some shit/some shit hit you. look for warping in brakes/rotors too. lastly check if you've got wheel rash on the inside of your wheel wells. I haven't even mentioned all the other possible issues it could be with your steering rack/power steering system
KEEP
IT
SIMPLE
STUPID
>>
>>16589919
That's exactly as you described, dampers change the rate of compression and extension of the springs, not the spring rate itself.
>>
Need to add power steering fluid. So do i just pour some in check level and then im done? Or do i have to pour some in then get in and start the engine and move the vehicle a bit then add more when its cooled down and repeat? I read to do that somewhere. The level of fluid right now is very low.
>>
>>16593511
Axle mounts are fine, bearings are new, bushings are new (except the engine mount bushings are super fucked and need to be replaced)
tie rods are are tight and not damaged. The only leaks it has are minimal clutch fluid and some coolant from one of the hoses that goes into the block, it's a very very small leak for both.

Wheels don't rub unless I'm 100% absolutely full locked which only happened once when it was icey out. Rotors are a possibility but it seems odd that it only happens when turning one way.
>>
>>16588941
I'd only really worry about the fluids and the tires for now. When you get the money you can start worrying about the other stuff listed.
>>
>>16587942
If you see nothing wrong when you go to test drive it id do it.
>>
>>16594759
O shit so i put in some power steering fluid i bought from napa i asked which to get. But in my vehicle the manual says to put ATF. The fluid in before i poured some in was the pinkish color of ATF the stuff i just poured in was clear yellowish. And I think I overfilled it am i fucked?
>>
yo, I have a 97 Integra Gsi (nonvtec). what oil is best to put in my car, 10w40 or 5w30 or what. I live in melbourne australia if that matters.
>>
>>16589252
Rev limiters are a meme. Just like all those other ECU "features" they force on your cars
>>
why are dealerships still selling new 15 cars?

how much of a discount should you expect from one since it's a least a year old so not "new" anymore?
>>
File: IMG20161101WA0033.jpg (139KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
IMG20161101WA0033.jpg
139KB, 650x650px
Is there any way to make your exhaust quieter without changing the muffler(s)? I was thinking a blow off valve, but wouldnt that make it louder as the exhaust would essentially end wherever the valve is when its open?
>>
I don't have any jumper cables but I have a spare battery that's charged. Can I start my car with the other battery, then switch my flat one in while the car is running?
>>
Any Mechanics here that have gone to a tech school? If so, which one?

Has anyone gone to UNOH, UTI, or Wyotech?
What do you recommend?
>>
Moving to Colorado from the northeast after buying a car I plan on holding onto for 3-5 years, my question is this; the used car market is fucking shit, as such how do I buy a car that actually fits my criteria when basically fucking none exist within 500 miles? (Using the same criteria for what I'm buying here)

Do you just buy a car across the country you've never seen in person and have it shipped, fly out 1,500 miles to see a car just to have a deal fall through, suck it up and buy a new car (I'm shopping light-moderately used) or what?
>>
File: 1472796536581.gif (140KB, 379x440px) Image search: [Google]
1472796536581.gif
140KB, 379x440px
>>16595618

>blow off valve
>on exhaust

I hope you meant waste gate.

Also that would only make it louder since you need boost reference to keep either of them closed.

it wouldn't work, exhaust would just pass through and be just as loud as before.

Don't be a cheap shit and just the replace the muffler.
>>
>>16595618
That isn't what a blow off valve does at all. Only certain turbo vehicles will have those.
>>
>>16596290
Currently a 1st year @ NAIT
>>
>>16596309
Drive to where one is located. I live in Minnesota and have driven to Texas for a vehicle before.
>>
>>16596313
Hows it like?
>>
So guys, I have an 06 PT cruiser and my front 5 gang window switch smoked and stopped working. Thinking it was just the switch, i bought a new one and it did the same. What could be the problem lads?
>>
>>16596290
Don't waste your money. Get a job as an entry level lube tech to see if you like the environment, if you do take some community college classes.
>>
>>16596311
Im not trying to be cheap. I like the way it sounds, and i dont want to change that. I really only want to make it quieter for times when i have to leave my house after dark.
>>
>>16583751
>1984 Chevy C10
>3 forward gears
>no overdrive
I wish
>>
File: its a blender.jpg (268KB, 977x799px) Image search: [Google]
its a blender.jpg
268KB, 977x799px
>>16596375
>PT cruiser
>>
Is underglow gay-tier, based-tier or somewhere in the murky in-between? Specifically thinking about putting red underglow on a black 2013 Mustang GT
>>
>>16596491
Gay tier. It's sort of making a comeback because kids are ricing their cars "ironically" now, but don't let that fool you. It's gay.
>>
File: IMG_1218.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1218.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>89 festiva
>130k miles
>no visible rust anywhere
>last owner replaced a bunch of shit
>5 speed manual
>1200$

Should I go for it, been wanting to learn how to drive stick, and get better gas mileage
>>
What would be the best aftermarket ecu for an obd1 vehicle? Ive looked for some, but all ive found is Megasquirt. Wanting to get a few options together before deciding.
Would it be possible to use an obd2 ecu? Would i have to completely convert to obd2 to be able to do that?
>>
>>16596452
I know, but I got it for $800 and needed a car. First car by the way
>>
>>16593820
So would setting the dampers to a soft setting help transfer more weight quickly to the outside tire, thus adding more grip?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170202-114532.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170202-114532.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>16596694
It won't transfer more weight, it will transfer the same weight, but it will do it faster with a softer setting.

It won't necessarily add grip, it might as well make it worse and make your car bouncy and unresponsive.

It depends on how soft is the soft setting, the only thing you can do is try each setting for a while and see what happens

Also read the second and third paragraph of pic related.
>>
>>16584780
Get the facelifted ls400 for maximum comfy
>>
>>16590216
You might be a lil greasy. Shower with dish soap
>>
>>16590216
Ass cancer is always a concern
>>
>>16596362
But what if I drive out (read: fly) and it's not as advertised, the deal falls through etc.?

How and when do you even haggle?
>>
i'm planning on removing the distributor from my 3sgte today and i've heard that they don't like to separate from the engine head. what should i do if this occurs?
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 330x269px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 330x269px
Is worth going to school to be NATEF certified?
>>
>>16596537
I would but if can try talking him down to $1,000
>>
Put 93 fuel in my tank the other day, now my engine cranks but doesn't turn over.

It's an old supra and I never asked the guy what gas he used. Ran prefect until just this second, made it to the store, sat for 15 minutes of shopping, cranks but doesn't turn over now.

What's not happening here? Pls don't say fuel pump, pls
>>
Hey guys so to make a long story short, my key broke in the ignition, half of it is in the ignition while the other half is on my desk, I am able to still wiggle the key I have into the ignition and still start it (while the other half is in the ignition) I fear one day that wont work and I will be stuck away from home.
>vehicle
>1991 nissan sentra
>dealership says vehicle is too old
>only lock smith in my area that is able to do it is a hour away
>don't have 70 bucks right now to get a new one

I was thinking of saying screw it and fabricated a keyless ignition. I am still doing research but it seems I can use a two types of switchs/buttons, an on and off switch for power, and a button to start the vehicle, this should also allow the steering column from being locked, too.
>car can be easily stolen

desu I paid 400 bucks for this thing.

This was a temp solution until I can buy ignition switch/lock off of rock auto for 70 bucks, but my concern is removing my current one, how can I remove it with the anti tamper bolts on it?
>>
>>16599508
>put glue on end of broken key
>stick into ignition and let it dry to other part of key
pretty straight forward, anon
>>
>>16599557
Why would I do that? I dont have money for a new key and then taking it out deform wont let me be able to use it again.
>>
>>16599508
>how can I remove it with the anti tamper bolts on it?

Drill the fuckers out? get star drive or appropriate style drivers to unscrew them?
>>
>>16599213
Its either spark or fuel.

Which means it could be anything without you trying to at least narrow it down to one or the other.
>>
File: 20170202_121556.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170202_121556.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I have a car with a GM 3800 V6. It sat all winter until recently when I started it up. When it started it made a slight but noticeable ticking sound and it hasn't stopped since. The ticking is only present at near idle rpms and goes away after 1.5k rpms and it gets quieter while warm. It didn't do that before it sat. What could be my issue? Picture is the car.
>>
>>16599592
I guess I can get a drill bit and drill it out. the anti tamper bolts that were used, the heads break off after tightening it down, and I didn't look but I assume that is how it is on my car.
>>
Summer tire recommendations in 195/50R15! Going on a 15x6.5 wheel!
>>
>>16599606
Check the oil level, and or change the oil.
>>
>>16596447
i said CARS. cant you read.
thats a truck bro
>>
>>16597867
Call it as a loss and look for something else.

You have to be willing to lose something to find what you really want.
>>
>>16599638

> the heads break off after tightening it down

yep, 91-96 sentra's have that, need to be drilled out.
>>
File: 1424053537180.jpg (712KB, 2956x1958px) Image search: [Google]
1424053537180.jpg
712KB, 2956x1958px
Anyone have an old ford ranger?

There's a guy on craigslist selling one (1991) for 1000 (obo) and I want it so bad.

Do they have any big problems?

Also, how hard is it, in general, to fix cars? I've only got experience fixing my motorcycle.
>>
>>16599827
Unfortunately I dont have the money at the moment to get a new key, but I think im gonna go with replace the tumbler and get two new keys for same price as getting one new key, I mean I can drive it for now I just have to do small wiggle while turning, and if I do that for too long I have a feeling I won't be able to. Hopefully it can last me for couple of weeks.

Any ideas what wires I would use to hot wire?
I came across this post
>From the ignition switch, you need to jump the white/blue, black/red, black/pink, and white together. Then, jump the black/white and black/yellow together. Now just touch the two jumped wires together to start the car.

But that is for first generation, and mine is second, and I don't have black/pink wire.
>>
>>16599601
What's the easiest way to narrow it down to spark or fuel?
>>
>>16599651
re003
>>
>>16600280
remove HT lead from sparkplug, hold metal bit within 1mm of engine block (dont hold the metal bit you fucking mong), and get someone to turn the car over. if there is sparks, its either a fuel problem or your plugs are fucked
>>
File: 1479431272608.jpg (326KB, 930x620px) Image search: [Google]
1479431272608.jpg
326KB, 930x620px
My Toyobaru won't start, and none of the lights or other electrical accessories are working. Figured it was a dead battery, so I took said battery into a shop, had it charged up and it tested fine. Slap it back in, and still nothing. Vehicle is still under warranty. Me and a service manager I talked with figure it might be a fuse, but it's nearly been a week I've been bumming rides from people trying to piece out what's wrong, so I'm tempted to just call Toyota and get it towed in to get it sorted out. I know fuses aren't covered at this point in the vehicle's life, but I can't be sure that that's the issue anyway.

What should I do? Start swapping out fuses, or just call for a tow?
>>
someone post laptimes meme pls
nissan vs camaro or whatever it was
>>
>>16601423
Fuses are easy to check, no need to randomly swap them.
Check them and have the car towed if they are not the problem
>>
File: 2016-10-18 15.41.04-1.jpg (97KB, 554x983px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-18 15.41.04-1.jpg
97KB, 554x983px
Pic related is my dd. Do I get spacers for my rear wheels? And if so, what kind? Previous owner put these aftermarket wheels on and I don't mind them enough to replace them, I just want the rear to not have that massive gap...
>>
>>16601775
What do you mean "what kind"? The material, the thickness, something else?
>>
File: 1468740668761.jpg (38KB, 600x662px) Image search: [Google]
1468740668761.jpg
38KB, 600x662px
It's sad I even have to ask this.
What is a good jack that can fit under a low riding car but lift it high? I'm trying to work on my fox Mustang but I'm too fat to fit under it with my current jack, even fully extended. The current one I have only lifts up to 34 cm
>>
What car out of the following should I get? My budget is around 5000 €. I live in Germany.

Ford Fiesta ST (2005 - 2008)
>light
>small but still practical
>power to weight is adequate at 150 PS
>good fuel economy

Ford Focus 2.0L (2004 - 2010)
>comfy and very practical
>good fuel economy
>pretty slow at 145 PS (heavy!)

Mazda MX-5 NB 1.8L (1998 - 2005, hard top)
>similar power / weight as the Fiesta, high enough
>RWD!
>can miat in it
>small, so probably not very practical
>fuel economy not great
>only 2 seats

Peugeot 207 (any model over 150 PS)
>like the Fiesta ST but fatter

Basically I'm not sure if I want something more on the comfy side (Focus), something sporty (Miata) or a compromise (Fiesta, 207). My income is good enough that fuel economy isn't a huge issue. I don't have a family of my own so 2 seats could be enough, but it'd be less comfortable and difficult to carry my guitar gear... then again I don't do that often.
>>
File: american fridge.jpg (472KB, 1584x1980px) Image search: [Google]
american fridge.jpg
472KB, 1584x1980px
>>16602131
>>
>>16592927
Pro tip: Riding a bike in heat is even less pleasant than a car. At least the car has active ventilation, if not AC.
Don't get a shitty old 80s bike as your first, it'll be an unreliable shit heap. Get something from the mid- to late nineties.
Don't ride on an unregistered bike and/or unlicensed. Just don't.
Either get a 50cc scooter, or prepare to spend money.
>>
>>16602185
That pic needs a handgun to be truly Merican
>>
>>16602154
I'd personallly go with the Focus because it looks the best out of all of them
>>
I don't know where else to ask this because everyone is fucking retarded IRL.

I make $2000 a month and want a used car, I just started this job so I'll most likely be financing the car. I am driving an old beater truck which I am assuming will blow up any day now. What is the best route to not get fucked by interest rates and cheap prices. I want to buy off Craigslist I trust them more than dealers and it is 1/3 the price.

>$2,000 income a month
>700 credit score but only 1.3 years of history
>23 years old

I'm talking like a Volvo from 2003 or something for 2-3k.
>>
>>16602218
>What is the best route to not get fucked by interest rates and cheap prices
Not financing a car in the first place.
>>
>>16602218
Just buy a civic or corolla
>>
>>16600739
I was just thinking about this before I go try it. The problem seems pretty unique, because I took the car out to two different places today, no problem. So what's unique about the grocery store? A slight hill in the parking lot maybe?

Is it possible that the tank is fucked up and not reading proper gas? So that the hill has my gas sitting at the back of the tank?
>>
>>16602131
34cm is pretty low, are you using some shitty OEM scissor jack?
Because pretty much every trolley jack can lift higher than that
>>
>>16602294
no its a shitty $20 jack I bought from walmart
>>
>>16602314
Well then go to a hardware store, bring some measuring tape and find a jack that can fit your fat ass, then order it online somewhere else for cheap
>>
Girlfriend needs a new car, what problems or expensive as shit costs could I see with a 2003 Taurus SE with 95,000 miles?

Car is cheap as fuck for the mileage and condition, one owner.
>>
I have a B6 Passat 3C (Volkswagen).

Is there an online parts catalogue i can use to find part numbers for replacement OEM parts?

I drove through some snow today that was a bit too high and tore some of the undercarriage plastics.

I need to find part numbers to replace them.

Thanks /o/ as always.
>>
>>16602870
Transmission and torque converter tend to fail the most for that year
>>
What is a good european car to buy that meets all or most of the following..

Awd(4x4), turbo, petrol, manual, cheap, numerous, shitbox, is relatively eady/cheap to raise another 2 inches.

Im after something for cheap money, doesnt nees to be registered - just needs to be drivable. I want to drive it through the forwsts and fields in winter. It will moatly be drifted and thrashed.

Im thinking a 316i BMW but they are pretty low and i need it high enough to get through moat snow. Rwd is still acceptable as i have a tractor if i get too stuck.
>>
File: berserk-1449934.jpg (199KB, 800x1206px) Image search: [Google]
berserk-1449934.jpg
199KB, 800x1206px
>>16583595
A lot of folks it cleans out everything, but you wont get rid of much old, caked carbon. Mostly "loose" stuff and the freshest carbon

>>16584730
Engines dont run "properly" when cold, and they also typically run different mixtures/with the choke on, which will cause this. Completely normal

>>16589009
Its a nice, cool old car. Go get it

>>16589331
https://archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/16565688/

>>16589919
Unless I'm being retarded; it doesn't make the spring depress slower, but rather makes the shock/dampener itself be more stiff, thus making both the spring and dampener feel stiffer, making it more uncomfortable while removing body roll and such

>>16590172
Tell us a bit more about what car it is.
Sounds like your typical FWD/4WD-car with a CV-joint problem, although there could be plenty of things wrong with the front suspension/assembly on that side, like mentioned by >>16593511

>>16592516
No such thing really, but I'd look into the Mercedes M120 as it has been used in a lot of vehicles

>>16595410
Australia sounds more like 10w40-territory than 5w30

>>16599606
Sounds like oil/valve "trouble". I'd change my oil and filter, let the car idle for 10 minutes and then go for a 20-30 minute drive to let it really warm up and see if it disappears. Might be a stuck valve from sitting

>>16599651
Tell us what you want and your budget
>dry grip
>wet grip
>noise
Those things

>>16603043
You're not giving us any idea what your idea of cheap is
>>
>>16603043
>>16603079
call it $1000 max.
Cheap.. If i had a billion dollars i wouldnt be on /o/ asking. Id just buy shit.
>>
>>16592516
i also have this same plan.

and as >>16603079 said, the M120 from a Merc would be the best bet. Same engine as in the oiriginal Pagani Zonda.

But as for a manual gearbox? Not an auto slushbox - im not sure.
>>
>>16603089
You won't really get anything in good condition for that money.

Get an Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
>>
>>16603095
Hm, its a tough call. I'll take a bet and say that you're probably wont be able to get a hold of the 5-speed from a Zonda C12.

It would take a lot of cutting, welding, angling and adapting, but a lot of gearboxes would be able to take the punishment with an upgraded clutch
>>
File: a4 tdi.png (222KB, 674x461px) Image search: [Google]
a4 tdi.png
222KB, 674x461px
>>16603112
>Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
not looking for "good condition" i dont plan on registering it. It can be full of cat piss for all i care.

I just want a shitbox to go snowsliding through the forests.

also i looked at some A4s (pic related) looks alright. its TDI - im ultimately hoping to find a petrol turbo for shitmoney.

just need to see what the difficulty is to jack it up a couple of inches.
>>
File: nicht schlimm.png (355KB, 671x741px) Image search: [Google]
nicht schlimm.png
355KB, 671x741px
>>16603112
>>
>>16603153
Lift kits for those types of cars aren't all that easy to find.

If its a "no fucks given"-car I'd do something crazy like cutting the flares/wheelarches and fitting pickup-size tires

I am seeing spacer-kits for them, but they only raise it by 13mm
>>
>>16603172
it is literally a "no fucks given" car. It can get absolutely demolished. I just want to use it in winter to drive through the forest with my dog and go snow rallying through the tracks.

pickup tyres could work too. i was thinking of just getting some suspension from a 4wd of some sort and welding up the plates to mount the struts too. although to be honest, im not sure of how much work would be involved getting the driveshafts to fit and the steering rack connected.
>>
>>16603022

Crap.
>>
Can anyone provide. Me with information on the 03- 06 cadillac cts? I currently drive an 05 impala, but have seen many early model cts's for sale near me for under 4k, with 130k-170k miles

Is this a worthwhile car to own?
>>
>>16603204
Did you buy it already?
>>
>>16603204
do a skid in it and send us a webm..
>>
>>16603413
>>16603449

Lol no.
She's getting an insurance pay out soon and I thought this car would be cheap enough with no problems for a while to keep most of the money for something else.
>>
>>16602910
You can ask at any VW shop and they will give you the codes
>>
2007 JKU Sahara with 63k miles on it for $20k at a local dealer, is that a good price?

I just got the insurance check (~$6,000) from a total loss and am looking for something new. I prefer SUVs, something that can handle Colorado weather and driving to ski slopes/hiking trails/car camping. Really want a WRX but it's a bit out of my price range
>>
>>16605136
Should've mentioned, I'm in college and don't really have a place to work on a car either. I was thinking of just paying cash for something like a ranger or cherokee but like I said, I don't have a place to work on a car and can't be having the car not start randomly.
>>
File: 1455526692901.jpg (7KB, 300x297px) Image search: [Google]
1455526692901.jpg
7KB, 300x297px
Why does my 4x4 dash selector switch not light up at all? I've replaced it multiple times and replaced my TCCM and this shit keeps happening. All my fuses are good, but somehow it doesn't work.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170203-211612.png (672KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170203-211612.png
672KB, 1920x1200px
Why do I want this so bad?
>>
>>16605385
Because you threw parts at it instead of spending 5 seconds with a multimeter
>>
>>16605581
That doesn't answer my question. Using a multimeter to check what exactly?
>>
>>16605385
GM
>>
>>16605594
If you don't know how a light bulb works you are better off taking it to someone to fix it instead of repeatedly spending money replacing the same part for no reason.
>>
>>16605562
Cause SHO's are orgasmic
I'd say get it there starting to become a collectors item
Plus youll be able to BTFO of any 90s mustangs
>>
File: 00404_Gwfg0wFqfD_1200x900.jpg (176KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
00404_Gwfg0wFqfD_1200x900.jpg
176KB, 1200x900px
http://mankato.craigslist.org/cto/5969470686.html
What's the likelihood this is totally fucked?
Looks it's got 114k miles from the pics where the odometer's visible, but I'm tempted to email the guy just to see if I can get him to say what, exactly, has been rebuilt.
>>
i replaced the oring on my low pressure return as well as the main large oring in the housing of my power steering pump, However upon putting it back together i noticed pic related
wtf is happening and should i bent this to be flush with the body to avoid further leaking? Or should i just leave it be.
2001 Mitsubishi Galant
Second question: Whats /o/s opinion on glasspacks on 2.4l 4cyl cars. would it make me look retarded.
>>
>>16605614
Are you talking about the bulbs in the selector switch?
>>
File: 1468533056687.png (406KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1468533056687.png
406KB, 800x600px
>>16582743
i just replaced pic related in my focus after it cracked and spewed coolant everywhere.

i refilled the coolant and drove down the street and back and the tank went from max to a little under min. also a small amount of the white coolant smoke was rising up around the part from an indeterminate source. should i be concerned? i read that it's normal for the level to drop after flushing coolant but idk how much. no drips to be seen.
>>
File: GEDC0981.jpg (574KB, 3477x2513px) Image search: [Google]
GEDC0981.jpg
574KB, 3477x2513px
>>16605642
>>
>>16605651
i do coolant flushes at least twice a year after seeing a radiator so clogged with rust and deposits that it wouldnt flow any water at all
Yes, coolant levels will drop a lot.
Generally what I do is fill it up, then start the car and blast the heat, as the car is running i fill it up more. I turn off the car, wait for it to settle, fill it back up and drive it around for at least 10 minutes. Get home, let it cool off, and then finish topping that off and call it a day
>>
>>16605648
Please excuse my ignorance, I'm new to /o/
>>
i have an opportunity to purchase a '65 vw bug, and a '71 bug, both for 800. the 65 needs a floor pan and the engine gone through among other necessities, the 71 has no engine, but has a decent floor pan and seats.

good buy?
>>
>>16605620

Does it sound like a deal? Worth it?
Cost, availability, ease of repairs?
>>
File: lemans.jpg (40KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
lemans.jpg
40KB, 600x450px
Anyone have any experience with Pontiac Le Mans? Known problems and such?
>>
I'm looking for hauling heavy machinery to and from work. Work is willing to pay me but I want the one that gives me the most pussy. I've been looking a lot at the cummins to help get my dick hard for that wet pussy but which brand? Cummings or not.

Freightliner? KW? Peterbilt? Volvroom?
>>
>>16603079
yea i got 10w40, thanks.
>>
I got into an accident. The guy is 100% at fault, literally no argument could be made for him. He was being a massive douche about it and trying to intimidate me. Turns out that he was driving without a license. Is there any bonus damage this could cause him? It would make me happy.
>>
>>16606089

Called the cops?
You would need to seek an attorney for that verbal assault crap though.
Or call the cops.
>>
>>16583882
Your description about the feet could be more descriptive. You stated they are melting and since the engine bay isn't covered with liquids, the melting is from heat? That's just too much heat especially since those rubber bumpers are at the edges.

Check your fluid levels. Presumably, you have been watching the temperature gauge on your instrument cluster and it works. It's not possible for the engine to be so hot it can melt those rubber feet so far away. But you should check and see you have no fluid contamination. There shouldn't be any oil in your coolant which is presumably neon yellow green?

Look at the bottom of the radiator for any leaks. If it looks wet, then maybe there is corrosion somewhere.

Remember that a cellphone camera can take pictures wherever you cannot fit your head under the car to look. Use your selfie stick and don't let the phone touch something hot.
>>
>>16592660
Concierge services like that exist. But I suspect you simply want someone to just do all the searching for you at the minimum compensation level. No one does that because if there was such, they would buy that car and restore or fix it for sale. That's what a lot of those concierge services do anyways. They find rarer or collectible obsolete cars and buy even scrap cars for the VIN. Then they restore and rebuild as well as repair scraps from parts cars.

There are also weekly rarer car auctions in Scottsdale. In fact, the /o/ Meet group in Arizona considered going to those as part of their Meet events.
>>
Is there a good reason to get the Scion iA?
>>
>>16595402
Your sentences are confusing to read. I don't know what you are doing from your description. No one answers you because of fear their advice will be wrong due to misinterpretation of what you wrote.

You MUST know what each location is under the hood for oil, ATF, coolant, brakes, and power steering. You have not even indicated the model of car.

Use short sentences. Don't use more than one pronoun in a sentence. I remember last year someone typed out a problem description that was widely misinterpreted by everyone. The poster meant to say something but typed out a description whose grammar meant something else.

Your owner's manual states the name of the fluid to use. But we could say too but you refused to let anyone know the make and model and year of your car or even the names of fluids such as DexCool.

If you overfilled it, then remove some from the reservoir. The power steering reservoir is easy to access in many cars to suck out the excess.

ATF in most cars is not checked by the driver or added to because they are sealed systems now. Only in the oldest cars is there a separate dipstick for ATF fluid. So if it's a new car, ATF fluid would probably be not added to anything because there is no place to conveniently do so. The car maker usually prevents ATF accidents by moving the ATF port to an inconvenient place way down there so that only a serious mechanic would access it. Having casuals access it would make more problems than its worth.
>>
>>16596049
>Can I start my car with the other battery, then switch my flat one in while the car is running?

You'll risk destroying your alternator and having a car fire. So don't do that. You imply that you also don't have a battery charger. You should install the spare battery with the car OFF. NOT RUNNING. OFF.

Drive the car with the bad battery down to a store that sells batteries. They all have battery testers and do it for free. My local walmart oi/battery service center does tests for free as does Sam's Club. You can call your autozone to ask if they have a free battery check.

If they are feeling charitable, they might even charge the battery up for you at no fee.

The reasons why you don't swap batteries while the engine is running is:

1. The battery is part of the voltage regulation for your car while the engine is running.

2. If the connections from the car to the battery touch something by accident, you can blow your alternator and start a car fire. There will be too many wires flopping around while you swap batteries live.

3. If you start a car fire in your garage, the fire might spread to your house and burn that down too. A house fire can also cause the next door house to burn down. If you don't have enough house insurance to also cover another house, you will end up paying out of pocket or declaring bankruptcy. So don't start car fires next to your home or someone else's home.
>>
>>16596049
>>16606278
Nigga just buy some jumper cables. They're like 20 bucks and you should have them anyway.
>>
>>16596375
You already know the classic problem. A wire somewhere rubs against something due to vibration from driving. One day, the insulation finally wears through and you have a short.

As for the window switch smoking, your description is lacking. Right now, you are implying that the switch smokes with you NOT doing anything to it such as pressing any buttons.

You have the old switch. So you should have inspected it to see which specific switch or location in it burned up and melted.
>>
>>16598743
>Is worth going to school to be NATEF certified?
Check with various potential employers to see if NATEF certification means anything to them. Or if they prefer a different certification. Or which specific subjects of NATEF they like.
>>
>>16594759
>>16595402
I'm currently working on my own power steering. If your power steering fluid isnt black or brown, then you'll be fine just to add some

there is a power steering fluid resivour that tells you what level it should be at, just ad the fluid to what the line says it should be

ATF fluid and Power Steering are similar but the ATF has detergents and lubricants added to it. My car recommends using the same fluid you put in your transmission. If i was only topping off my power steering i would try to use the same kind of fluid thats already in it but it isn't a big deal if you use normal cheap power steering fluid instead of ATF just to top it off

If you believe you have overfilled it, check to see if the lines to indicate fluid level are on the resivour or on a stick attached to the cap. if its overfilled just use a turkey baster to suck some of the fluid out till its at the correct level
>>
File: jackstand_harborF.jpg (6KB, 264x191px) Image search: [Google]
jackstand_harborF.jpg
6KB, 264x191px
>>16602131
>What is a good jack that can fit under a low riding car but lift it high? I'm trying to work on my fox Mustang

Do not use only a jack to hold the car up while you are under it. Jack stands are used to hold the car up and should be on both sides of the car and not just one side. The ebrake should be set and the car on a level surface.

After it is on stands, use the jack as an emergency backup in case a jack stand gives way because it was cheap chinese shit with cast metal parts.
>>
>>16605385
>Why does my 4x4 dash selector switch not light up at all?

If the transmission did not successfully engage 4x4, then presumably it doesn't send the signal that it was selected. So, first of all, did 4x4 mode successfully engage?

Now, assuming your transmission hardware is switching to 4x4 and back out, you can check if there is a signal line from that switch assembly to the transmission. Since you bought the part from the parts counter (??), they can give you the sheet describing its function including signals that go into it to set those lights. If it is a BCD encoded line then you can check the values with the multimeter. If it is a digital LAN like in my car, then it's OBD2 time or give up and go to dealer.

I don't know your car. In my car, many parts are on the car's LAN, so they get a digital signal to turn on their indicator or status lights or not. There is no single wire to a transmission for each light bulb as that makes a mess.

If you have an OBD2 display, then you can do various things in the car and see them set on the OBD2.
>>
So, I'm in the process of replacing the Master Clutch and Slave Clutch Cylinders in my 1990 Nissan 240sx, and after I put more clutch fluid into the master, I noticed this reservoir thing's hose started leaking and the smell was VERY strong. Here's a video of what's going on with my ride, so skip to 0:39 for the reservoir thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iw_YdTeEkw

I'm going to go buy a new hose and replace it, because there was a hole in the hose itself, but what is this part exactly? Does it have anything to do with my clutch falling to the ground and not coming up and me not being able to put my car into gear when it's on?
>>
>>16606089
>Is there any bonus damage this could cause him?
Don't mention anything about revenge to others like cop or insurance. Basically, talk to your insurance agent again and inform them that the person was driving without a license. The insurance company will add it to the record.

Someone without a license probably doesn't have auto insurance???? Anyways, it would be up to the insurance company to update the police record with the additional info, or have your insurance agent inquire with the police at this time to check if the other driver had a valid driver's license or not.

Tell your insurance agent it would be good to know just in case the other guy reneges on payment since he had been trying to verbally intimidate you from trying to report the accident.
>>
>>16606348
I have jack stands, but I can barely lift the saddle. I think the most I've gotten was 2 notches, it was almost to the third but there wasn't quite enough room
>>
File: 1486049405668.jpg (72KB, 401x449px) Image search: [Google]
1486049405668.jpg
72KB, 401x449px
Clunking when turning is probably tie rods right? Need a bit of guidance for when I check things out tomorrow
>>
How hard is it to tarbo an rx8
Can you fit a 3 or 4 rotor in there
How legless do the rear passengers have to be

Got my offert denied on the only FC around and It's older brother is chap as shit
>>
>>16602314
>>16602324
>>16602131
please use a jack stand
>>
>>16606665

see
>>16606486

I do have jack stands, I'm fortunately not stupid enough to not use those.
>>
2004 Leon Cupra R
Couple of months ago developed this:
All the gears that require the stick to be pulled to the left (R, 1, 2) require a strong push to pop in. Sometimes they put up resistance when disengaging. Once the stick was stuck in the line between 1 and 2 for a minute.
So far it didn't deteriorate beyond that, but it feels bad desu. Is the gearbox salvageable or should I look for a replacement?
>>
>>16606672
Change bushings
Pray you didn't bend a fork
>>
>>16606726
Thanks, will try.
>>
Complete car noob here, I'm just starting to get the hang of maintenance on my car. I ordered 5 liters of engine oil to do my first oil change and it came with this diesel additive "Diesel Flow Fit" that is supposed to ensure diesel doesn't freeze in the winter.
Is that in any way needed/recommended for the oil change?
I drive a petrol engine car btw. Can I just toss it?
Heres a link to the additive on Amazon (might be german tho):
https://www.amazon.de/Liqui-Moly-5131-Diesel-flie%C3%9F-fit/dp/B00295GSQE
>>
File: IMG_20170204_124944.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170204_124944.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Halp. I decided to check oil level after a couple of months. Temperatures have been below zero for a few weeks. Now there's some pale yellowish gunk in my oil. Changed oil last September and did less than 2k km since.
Am I fucked?
>>
so my parents want to get me a new car since i'm graduating

which don't get me wrong, i really appreciate it. but the stipulation is, it MUST be a car from this year or 2016.

for some reason they're fixated on it being brand new. i've tried convincing them otherwise, but at this point they refuse to listen.

so any suggestions, i guess?

i want something normcore
>>
I'm thinking of buying a used 2008 Mercedes C-Class. 6k with around 100k miles. I'm going to check KBB to see if it's a fair deal, but I'm wondering if it would be a smart deal? How bad would the cost to insure be? My dad was saying something about only paying for liability instead of for full coverage, and that I should get a used Craigslist car because the dealers would try and force me to get full coverage, which would be too expensive. Does that make sense?
>>
>>16607016
I'm betting your commute is pretty short, and it's been cold outside a while. An off white to yellow gunk building up in the dipstick or oil fill cap is an indication that condensation is building up and mixing with the oil.

This is because the engine does not fully warm up. Despite the temperature gauge (for coolant) reaching operating temps, it takes the oil much longer to get up to temp. When it gets high enough, condensation occurs. This is countered by operating the engine long enough that it just gets eliminated by boiling off. If you just drive 3-4 miles, the engine doesn't get hot enough for this to occur, especially in sub zero temperatures.

It'll probably be there until the next oil change. It's not great, and you should change it because it's the worst cause of gunk build up in the engine. You need to let your engine warm up more, or take longer drives.
>>
>2007 rav4 listed at 6.5k
>100k miles, looks clean
>2000 down payment matching
>"""minimum""" 2500 trade in value

Is this something kind of scam?
>>
Help me /o/. Have a soft top jeep and live in Portland. Last month it was both wet and below freezing for a good period of time. The problem is that moist air would infiltrate the jeep, and then precipitate out as frost on the inside of the top. The cycle would repeat and the top would act as a sponge. When it finally got above freezing, all the ice melted and started dripping out. Mold has developed, but I can't dry it out because it's been moist and rainy for the past month, and will probably be that way through May. Anything I can do to get this shit out?
>>
>>16607861
Try to get a v6 Camry but if you want a Mexican transmission look around at a Lexus stealership
>>
>>16608131
Is the Corolla an option?
>>
>>16608148
Go for it they only offer the Manuel transmission on the base model and the high trim Corollas every thing else is cvt transmissions (different transmissions may vary depending on how your local steallership is)
>>
>>16606986
if it says Diesel and your car is petrol, even if its an oil additive, i'm fairly sure you cant use it
have ot get someone else to confirm this though
>>
>>16608215
Thanks.
I just reread the description says for diesel and heating oil (im assuming in a house). So I guess it doesnt go in the engine oil anyway. Im just really confused as to why that was included in my order. Guess I just have to give it to somebody with a diesel.
>>
Would check engine light be on for transmission problem?
>>
I'm thinking of picking up a VW 2000 jetta VR6 for 1500. Any problems with these? I know VW is pretty reputable
>>
i can't park in the garage anymore and my 10w is probably solid from the freezing temperatures in the mornings.

thoughts on draining it and using it later?
>>
>>16608407
year?

>>16608426
>I know VW is pretty reputable
my friend's family has two vw from 2000 and my parents have a 2004 vw golf. you're going to run into computer problems no matter what. the guy is probably selling it because it constantly drains the battery.

however, these cars are really fun while they work and the jetta might be old enough to have only simple electronics. it didn't stop my friend's passat and bora from breaking but if you like the car then go for it.
>>
>>16583882
>Owning a BMW out of warranty
I seriously hope you guys don't do this

For anyone looking to buy a BMW, get one certified pre owned from a big dealership. Mine came with a DeMuro tier bumper bumper warranty and free maintenance for 4 years.
>>
got a random question i have always wondered about. I know when when you buy a tuner(sct,bama,diablo,etc) you can only use it on the same car until you return the car to stock. My question is if it is possible to be hacked to place tunes on multiple cars? i know it may take some good coding skills, im just wondering if it is even possible.
>>
>>16606665
>please use a jack stand

When someone says "A" jack stand, that means TWO jack stands. The car should be balanced on both sides. If only a single jack stand is used, there is both a sideways slope and a longitudinal (front back) slope. Two slopes/wrongs do not make a right. Chances are with a slope that a lot of firm jiggling on the car might make the jack stand slope a little which is bad.
>>
>>16582743
>what color should I tint my civic's headlights?
>what percentage tint should I get for the windows/back windshield
>are banners on the front windshield that block the sun cool? I wanted to get the andy warhol banana as a windshield cover (rice and illegal I know)
>are americanized/whitewashed girls from the middle east DTF? Asking because there's a qt in lecture that sits next to me & I got her numver recently. I'd ask /g/ but kek like those nerds would know

Pic is the tint I'm talking about. Not that car though
>>
>>16608879
Who coined the term "DTF"?
>>
File: 20170201_210219.jpg (3MB, 2520x4480px) Image search: [Google]
20170201_210219.jpg
3MB, 2520x4480px
Here's a good one for y'all, my sr20 240sx's IACV finally died on me and of course I somehow ordered the wrong model of that valve so now I gotta wait another week to get it. When the problem first happened I just tightened the throttle cable on the car so I could drive her home, I'm starting my new job on Monday so I'll probably have to drive it to work like that for a few days. I know I'll be using a bit more gas up than usual but It wont really effect anything else right?
>pic related, wrong IACV I ordered
>>
>>16609049
>An idle air control actuator or idle air control valve (IAC actuator/valve) is a device commonly used in fuel-injected vehicles to control the engine's idling RPM -wikipedia

sounds like it will be ok. i dont think many on /o/ knows what IACVs are so i recommend reading wikipedia or forums for answers
>>
File: RC1.png (1MB, 1222x914px) Image search: [Google]
RC1.png
1MB, 1222x914px
>>16609247
It seems most people online anywhere don't know much about doing what I did.I read on Wikipedia but I was just honestly curious if there was something I was missing
>>
just bought a low mile corolla from an old couple, they followed the servicing logbook like a bible and i know i probably wont be able to afford taking it for a service every month.
what maintenance can i get away with doing it all myself?
>>
>>16609482
>Engine oil changes
>radiator flush
>transmission flush(if you're new to diy things I would not recommend doing this)
>transmission oil change (manual transmission only)
>changing spark plugs and gaping them (when you buy them look on the box and see if they're gapped for you already)
>spark plug wires (check online or buy a manual to see how to rewire them)
>>
>>16609632
To add to this.

Air filters, cabin filters, and most bulbs are easily done with minimum tools.
>>
>>16608825
Often different companies use differing ECU, and coding methods to program those ECU's so unless said companies use a common OEM company to program their ECU's, (bosch for example) then no its difficult to impossible to have a all in one tuner.
>>
>>16608608
Oil Can't freeze or become solid under temperatures that you're likely to experience on this planet.

The viscosity will change however relative to temperature of course.
>>
>>16609632
>>16609772
Yeah sounds good, its a 7A-FE and very similar to another car i do reg maintenance on. I just wondered if theres anything else that a mechanic would do that a normal backyard service doesnt include
>>
File: 00l0l_1IQ9DTS4kq1_600x450.jpg (50KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00l0l_1IQ9DTS4kq1_600x450.jpg
50KB, 600x450px
Bought a car from this dude who told me he adjusted something to make the car run richer, here's a picture of the engine bay, I'm pretty sure it was in the box on the lower left.

What am I looking at here, boys

Do I need to adjust it back?
>>
>>16610239
Could be alot of things man, gimmie the specs on the car
>>
>>16610301
84 celica supra, all stock really
>>
>>16610239
try putting the stock air system back
that hackjob CAI could be throwing off the MAF and other sensors
>>
Is my engine fucked? I was recording because their is a bit of a whine coming from my power steering pump but then i really listened to the engine and its ticking really badly. Checked the dipstick oil seems okay but the design for the dipstick on the 2.3l is retarded. The car runs completely fine other than this ticking. Just worried that its fucked. You can't hear it inside the car and it idles nice and quiet like it should until you go outside and take a listen.

It's a 2007 Mazda 3 2.3l.

https://youtu.be/ONELXUj29u8
>>
>>16610362
I'd try by messing with the IAC valve and check the throttle and seeing if its set cock-eyed
>>
File: IMAG0418.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0418.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
>>16610239
Bet he fucked with the MAF which is the big box near the intake
On that year 5mge(supra cressida ect) its a flap that moves as air moves. You can loosen the spring a few clicks to make it run richer at part throttle for no reason
WOT the flap is maxed out basically so its max fuel
He could have adjusted the fuel pressure higher as well
Does it run like shit?

Mine runs aight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab0KgMP1CUQ
>>
File: 5mgte.jpg (565KB, 1238x700px) Image search: [Google]
5mgte.jpg
565KB, 1238x700px
>>16610239
Could also run a little more timing if its running rich
Would give it a little more power and allow a bit more of a complete burn on the combustion process
>>
>>16610496
Mine runs OK on the highway, little less so in second. Which way do you adjust it?
>>
>>16610539
How do you mean run more timing? Pretend I'm retarded (I am)
>>
File: 2jznoshit.jpg (1MB, 1719x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2jznoshit.jpg
1MB, 1719x1080px
>>16610541
Honestly if it runs decent I would not mess with it. Just bump timing 4 degrees and run 91 octane should be a fair bit quicker with just that.
If the car has intake and exhaust it might actually run lean without the AFM adjustment.

Does it get decent MPG on the highway? Should be getting 20ish
>>
>>16610572
I need more data on it for the highway but it isn't bad. Here's a weird problem since you seem to have the same car, you may know:

Car starts fine at my house, at the gas station, the bank, Walmart, etc, then fails to turn over at the grocery store. I noticed 0 problems with it before. It seems like a problem that only pops up at lower than 1/3 tank. Faulty sending unit?

When I fill up, I can also hear gas sloshing. Normal?
>>
>>16610565
That's a horrible pun.
>>
File: IMG_8488.jpg (451KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8488.jpg
451KB, 1280x853px
>>16610565
More timing means earlier spark giving abit more time for the fuel to burn in the combustion chamber
Retarded timing can rob 20 or more horsepower vs an advanced timing.
Basically on the distributor there is a bolt you loosen at the base and it has a slot that it so it can rotate a bit.
More timing will cause a bit higher idle less will cause a lower idle but will sound louder at idle.
I would buy a timing light at harbour freight for like 10 bucks. Too much timing can cause detonation so you want 91 octane if you are advancing it over stock.
I forget which way you rotate for advance vs retard but you can hear the diffreance at idle. Louder slower idle = retarded
Quite faster idle = advanced
Slot width allows about 15 degrees so you only want to move it a small amount for 4-5 degress advance.

Also check out celicasupra.com tons of info over there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcsJlInwNbw
>>
>>16610156
Honestly not really. Most lube places check what was listed and not much else.
>>
>>16610602
fails to turn over? As the engine wont attempt to turn over or just wont start?
Fuel pickup could be messed up
Pump hangs on a sending unit in the tank they could have installed the wrong type of pump and the pickup is not at the bottle of the tank
I installed a walbro 450lph pump the pumps are all the same basically its the install kit that changes the way the pickup(pre filter bag) sits.
>>
>>16610453

p-pls respond
>>
>>16602131
BluePoint Low Profile trolley jack.
>>
The hex on my brake bleeder nipple is stripped, and I don't have any way to weld a bigger nut, and every extraction tool I've found is too shallow (it hits the nipple before it gets to the hex). The fuck do I do?
>>
>>16610760
use some needle nose vice grips to remove the nut and nipple, if you need to tear up the nipple so be it because a new nut+nipple combo only costs like $6
>>
>>16610453
sound a pulley. remove your belt and see if the noise is still there
>>
guys is it okay if i lift the rear of the car with the jack from the tow hitch?
>>
>>16610879
depends on how strong the cross tube is, i wouldnt recommend it
>>
>>16611037
shes a 09 honda accord sedan. any where else i do do it from then? thanks
>>
Am I crazy or is this a good deal?
https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/5990121745.html
>>
File: 4343723428_34c3f1f149_o (1).jpg (45KB, 512x211px) Image search: [Google]
4343723428_34c3f1f149_o (1).jpg
45KB, 512x211px
>>16611154
i looked up your jack points on the car, if you dont have your owners manual to confirm this i recommend doing your own research, but on a forum i found that these yellow points are jack points
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/86-9th-generation/105697-9th-generation-accord-jack-points-jack-stand-placement-locations.html
>>
Jello /o/ ausfag here. I'm looking for a car < 10k used that is comfy to drive, requires little work, doesn't break the petrol bank and has a dsg type gearbox.
>>
How wild does insurance get if I am 20 years old and looking to buy a Nissan 300ZX
>>
>>16612060
Looks uggo desu SENPAI baka
>>
>>16612092
240sx*
but pls answer question
>>
>>16612100
Honestly they don't appeal to me.
>>
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/2000-toyota-celica-gt-coupe-2-door/1235031790

Thoughts on this? Thinking of buying my first car and this would be my first manual to boot.
>>
>>16612136
Not bad. Show more. The color is bad. It looks a bit too dated.
>>
>>16612152
That's all ive got of it unfortunately. Do you think this be a good buy based on the description provided I put in new front brakes?
>>
>>16612157
Its not a good buy IMHO. The paint job is shit, it doesn't come batteries attached and it has pending work on it.
>>
>>16612166
I don't mind the paint job so much but is the pending work that bad? From what I gleamed it seemed to just be the brakes and the radio.
>>
>>16588076
i own a 2001 galant, thats your overspill. basically if your radiator and resivour are full, it spills out the extra fluid. it also works as a vent
>>
>>16610760
Cut the nipple, use the extraction tool.
You have to buy a new nipple anyway so there is no point in preserving the nipple part of the stripped one.
>>
File: IMAG0089.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0089.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
Is this poop?
>>
>>16612896
Bird poop, yes
>>
File: Hneaaa.png (752KB, 894x943px) Image search: [Google]
Hneaaa.png
752KB, 894x943px
>>16612202
Im driving an sr20 with no exhaust at the moment, soccer moms pull the other way when I open it up next to them lol. Honestly tho for what you drive that sounds great, not too ignorant but still pretty mean.
>>
Why is it so goddamned hard to find a PDF of the 2008 Audi A6. Audi's site requires a VIN. Why even restrict access to such a thing in the first place? Stupid fucking Germans..
>>
>>16613101
A pdf of what?
>>
>>16612060
Proabably not bad since its ancient as fuck, but don't try to get comprehensive.

Seriously its not that difficult to get a quote on most insurance websites.
>>
File: Bolt remover.jpg (133KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Bolt remover.jpg
133KB, 1500x1500px
Has anyone used or got a set of pic related (Irwin bolt grip remover set)?

Got a rounded nut on my exhaust manifold but clearance to the pipe is pretty limited and don't know if it will fit.

If anyone could measure the 11mm (7/16") socket that'd be great, or just general opinions too?
>>
>putting new tires on shitbox
>tech at discount tire says they need the lug nut key
>didn't even know there was a locking lug nut
>just told them to break it and put a regular one on

They only broke the front tire ones so I still have locking nuts on the rear wheels, what should I do? I contacted the seller of the car and asked where the key was and he said it was in the center console, which it wasn't. How hard is it to break the nut off myself without any special tools? I've got a breaker bar
>>
>>16612060
Just get liability. I'm 20 w/ an N/A z32, and I can tell you that unless you put significant money into the car, it won't be worth getting full coverage til we're older.
>>
>>16613762
Depends on the style of lock nut, some can just wedge an old socket on and crank it off. others are more difficult.
>>
File: SHRT-ICONS-Wht.jpg (166KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
SHRT-ICONS-Wht.jpg
166KB, 1000x1000px
Saw this earlier and now this is bothering me.
HKS
Greddy
Spoon
Top Secret
???
What's the last one?
>>
>>16613762
Get a 12pt socket that just barely fits over the head, tap it on with a mallet and it should be able to grip it enough to pull it off. I did this once and it works very easily
>>
>>16613762
incase nothing works, weld a nut on it
>>
>>16613788
How much do you pay monthly, ill probably be put on insurance with my parents though.
>>
>>16602154
i have the same focus now at 100k and it's been pretty well behaved. only one $1000 repair.
>>
File: Mea Culpa.jpg (380KB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Mea Culpa.jpg
380KB, 1200x1800px
>>16582743

What kind of cleaning products can I use on my leather interior to make it last as long as possible?

What about other things I can do to make the interior stay nice?
>>
File: 1323442144.jpg (84KB, 434x353px) Image search: [Google]
1323442144.jpg
84KB, 434x353px
If I own a Jeep Wrangler, do I HAVE to wave at other Joops?

I don't want to, I'm shy
>>
>>16614556
You have to rip their doors off and give them a kiss
>>
>>16588191
Quality Japanese plastic dash. Gearbox is made of glass. Turbo is made of porcelain. Engine compartment too crowded to fit a sheet of wax paper. Rust.

Fun cars, though.

t. '84 Z31 owner.
>>
>>16610453

How complicated would adjusting my own valves be? For someone who mechanical experience is changing the transmission fluid and oil plus filters? Some feeler gauges, basic handtools and a valve cover gasket?
>>
>>16614529
dont buy those two in one products
First wipe it down with a microfiber cloth, vacuum all that to get as much crud off as possible
Follow it up with using something like Mothers Leather cleaner since its only for cleaning, follow the instructions on whatever product you get
wipe everything down again to make sure the cleaner is fully off and everything pretty and clean using a different microfiber cloth
follow it up with some conditioner, something like leather milk is good, put it on the cloth not directly on the seat
Rub that stuff in till you cant see it anymore and let it sit for a few hours to really absorb into the seat. Not in direct sunlight and not in a lot of heat hopefully
When all is said and done and your conditioner has fully dried (some products take up to 12 hours) use a third microfiber cloth to wipe it all down and buff it.
>>
>>16614675
I'm selling my Jeep thanks for the heads up
>>
File: lights.png (269KB, 685x950px) Image search: [Google]
lights.png
269KB, 685x950px
Shopping for a daily. Is there any good place to search vehicle safety ratings? The IIHS and NHTSA websites are dogshit for quickly finding older model year ratings. Like a big downloadable spreadsheet would be ideal.

And inb4 >muh safety haha just drive better you cunt. People are fucking stupid where I live. Everyone is on their phone and I see like 3 morons blast through red lights/stop signs on the daily. Shits crazy out there.
>>
File: wow.png (41KB, 640x298px) Image search: [Google]
wow.png
41KB, 640x298px
>>16615494
Found basically what I was looking for, a sortable spreadsheet of insurance statistics.

And in case anyone else was wondering, the answer is just buy a massive SUV or pickup. Or a Smart, somehow.
>>
Am i silly for going for the base trim of a car (pic related, mazda3 GS)? It seems to be that it's all the same engine anyways outside of features like satellite radio / bluetooth / bose bloat that I don't think is worth $2K extra.

exceptions being stuff like the XRS and Si where it might as well be a different car. I don't want a hatchback mazdaspeed3.
>>
File: 2239253.68879451.lg.jpg (113KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
2239253.68879451.lg.jpg
113KB, 1024x683px
>>16615606
oops pic related.

also wanted to ask, what the heck is that thing on the back? Doesn't even look like the dealership's name, and I assume I can take it off.
>>
>>16613658
>opinion
the harbor freight ones work just as well and cost a lot less
you get more bits too
>will it fit?
they're the same size as normal sockets
if you can't get a socket and a wrench on to it, it ain't gun work
>>
>>16605898
>problems
it's a pontiac

>>16605937
ask the trucker thread, but Volvo if can afford it
>>
Does getting pre-approved credit really works on my favor?
>>
I feel like this is a stupid question and I should know the answer is yes, but if you drive your car hard as in stomping the gas, or taking off quick from a dead stop bad for your car? Also this one is my question I care more about so it was pretty damn snowy today, an ambulance came behind me and I let it pass then I started driving behind it like it was escorting me with not enough room for another car to be able to get in ahead of me with it being snowy i'd say maybe 50-100 feet of room max, people were all driving 30 on a 50 road. Anyways after people pulled off for ambulance 3 different people tried to cut me off and I had to honk at them and avoid their cars because they are dumb and don't pay attention. Am I the jackass in this situation or are they? Does the car that was initially in front have the rightaway even if I was illegally following the ambulance too close when it made people pull over?
>>
>>16616868
also just going from first gear all the way to 5000 rpm or so to get up to 45 or 50 or whatever the speed limit is before letting the car shift to make my car sound loud that is bad for my car right? when should I be letting it shift? 3000 rpm? all personal preference?
>>
File: 1439579889374.jpg (39KB, 625x469px) Image search: [Google]
1439579889374.jpg
39KB, 625x469px
>>16616868
>>16616875
>please revoke my license: the posts
you can't be real, no one could be this dumb
>>
>>16607891
Thanks. I'm driving like 10km a day on average, so you're absolutely right. My mechanic told me to go on a longer drive so that the oil could heat up enough to get rid of the moisture.
>>
looking at a Focus RS and WRX STI tomorrow. definitely prefer the RS, but ill just take whatever i get a better deal on. why havent they put a not shit engine in 2017 sti though? on the plus side modern interior and good computer shit with tons of part availability i guess.. But why cant we get the updated engine stateside?
>>
Is there something toxic about the 2010 Ford Transit Connect that I should know about?

I'm getting out of a 97 e-250 and there's a lot of 2010s under $5000 out there. Is that particular year particularly shit, or do the dealers just have trouble selling these to normies?
>>
Somebody shoot me, I've been thinking of buying a
>crossover
What's the best one for around 8-10k? Been looking at the RAV4, Rogue, and Escape. I feel like I could use the slightly more cargo without going as big as a full size truck.
>>
Any reason I shouldn't buy this? Any similar alternatives cheaper?

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5953830706.html
>>
>>16582743
In my MK4 golf, when I shift into first from neutral (while stationary) sometimes it is totally smooth, but other times there is quite a bit of resistance. What does this mean?
>>
File: IMG_20170206_150852[1].jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170206_150852[1].jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
Anyone know why the VAG 1.8 20v N/A has the air intake running over the block? The only obvious reason is that it heats the air a bit, but that's very counterproductive. It just seems counterintuitive to me. The turbo version doesn't have this either.
>>
>>16617710
Get a wagon.
>>
>>16618253
Your clutch is probably not working as intended.

A quick test to see if your clutch is ok is to park the car, release the brakes, engage first gear and keep the clutch pedal pressed.
If the car starts to slightly move forward (make sure it's not because of an inclined road first) then it means your clutch is not operating as intended.
It's either that or a bad synchro, but usually bad synchros also cause grinding noises, which doesn't seem to be the case.

I don't know if your car has a cable or hydraulic clutch. If it's cable, you can try adjusting the cable length so the pedal sits slightly higher than before, not much to do there if it's hydraulic.

Is there a chance your clutch is dying of old age? How long ago was it replaced (if at all)? Does the car jerk a little bit forward when you engage first gear after it resists you? Does it make a difference if the engine is running? Does it make a difference if you try to shift immediately after pressing the clutch pedal or you wait a few seconds before shifting?
>>
>>16618264
A lot of cars are designed like that, some even have the full airbox sitting right on top of the engine.
It's either a space problem (routing intake completely in front of the engine could be more complicated and expensive than what you have) or an emissions problem that forces the engine to warm up as quickly as possible to be less dirty, at the expense of a bit of power
>>
>>16618293
The car definitely doesn't move when in first gear with the clutch in. Shouldn't be old age as it's a 2008 with like 100k kms. It doesn't make a difference if the engine is running. Waiting before shifting doesn't seem to make a difference. I guess it's probably a synchro issue. Does a worn synchro issue matter much?
>>
>>16618306
There's a lot of free space behind the right-hand headlight, and that's where the turbo model has the intake, so it must be for emissions. I have noticed that it gets warm quickly (not overheating or anything) compared to other cars.
>>
How do I know if my control arm bushings are shot? I have my 94 Miata up on stands with the wheels off. When I pull and shake the hubs there is no slop. Does this mean my bushings are good?
>>
>>16618356
Not really, but it will get worse over time. In 1st gear is less of a problem anyway
>>
>>16618390
They would have to be completely fucked to notice slack by moving the hubs by hand.
You should put your wheels back on, car on the ground and try to do some quick and sudden stop&go motions with someone outside the car watching If the wheels move back and forth when braking and accelerating.
>>
Anyone know anything about DAI Alloy wheels? I was looking at some from them but I've read they used to be low quality but now are good? Is this true? Should I steer clear of them?
>>
My car has D and OD, and im pretty sure both are fucked. D seems to be slipping from 2nd to 3rd, but OD doesnt seem to slip at all. When driving in OD the engine stutters from high 1k to low 2k rpms, but only occasionally like it has to breathe every few seconds. That doesnt happen in D. Already suspected it has a vacuum leak, and that the leak is the cause of the stuttering, but why would it only happen in OD? Should i just get the trans rebuilt/buy a new one?
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 66

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.