[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why are we still using heavy lead acid battery in our cars?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

why are we still using heavy lead acid battery in our cars?
>>
>>16580233
Cost
>>
The advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
>>
Because of the jews

>why does x only last for y miles if the warrenty only covers z miles
>>
Lithium batteries suck dick in the cold. They also need additional over charge/discharge protection circuits which costs extra, you can't just dump power into them like a lead acid.
>>
>>16580233
What do you suggest as an alternative?

The battery barely weighs anything relative to the car.
>>
Lithium have a muuuch smaller range of charges aka they wear quicker. Also that's a giant waste of resources lithium mining is a dirty job
>>
>>16580233
Better sudden, large current surge performance (cranking), cheap, resilient, reliable, doesn't explode, to name some reasons.
>>
>>16580249
Lithium is literally cheaper, but the industry doesn't want you to know that :P

>>16580287
What advantages?

>>16580301
Prove it was the jews.

>>16580304
Depends on how they are packaged.

>>16580373
>Lead Acid is a 30-80 lb battery
>Lithium is <25 lbs for the big shit.

>>16580485
No they don't, you need to know how to keep them charged, is all. Toyota has proved this. And so has the cell phone companies when they tell you to intentionally drain a battery and then charge it to reset it.

>>16582686
Gonna need to see numbers and data sheets on that.
>>
>>16580233
A lithium battery that could deliver 7200 VA would cost $2,500-.
>>
>>16580233
Best type of battery for this. All batteries need an acid catalyst between the cathode and anode
>>
>WE

Cost cutting. I'm using AGM in everything.

>>16580485
Except it's not. Are you sure you didn't get fooled by reddit posting pictures of tar pits?

Go back to whoever told you that and remind them that mining the iron and copper for electric cars is more destructive than mining lithium for the batteries
>>
>>16582725
>Says a bunch of contradictory shit
>asks for sources
>Doesn't provide any source of his own

Now that is some high quality shit posting.

That being said, you are correct in all but one aspect. They are far more expensive on first purchase. They only need one purchase though. After 20 years, the same lithium battery will still be almost perfect l, but a lead acid will have been replaced a dozen times. That being said, I would hate to buy an 8d equivalent in lithium.
>>
>>16582765
The energy density of lead acid batteries is better than the lithium batteries. Also lithium is highly susceptible to water and conflagration as a result of it. Your acid denatured would literally ruin your electron donor
>>
>>16580233
Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure lead acid batteries can tolerate much more heat before they explode
>>
>>16582776
This, also they're not susceptible to moisture

Lithium literally catches fire from the moisture in the air
>>
>>16582773
AGM is not lithium, it's an improvement on conventional lead acid batteries.
>>
>>16582793
This is what happens when you either puncture or overheat any battery based on lithium
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wUFxlf4fXjo

Thermal runaway is a huge problem with these things. You hit a certain temperature and you cause the reaction to fuel itself out of control. Lead acid batteries aren't susceptible to this
>>
>>16580233
3 words
"cold cranking amps"
>>
I have seen some people run a supercapacitor bank in parallel with battery. The supercapacitor supply a very large cranking current, thereby taking some of stress of the larger battery and prolonging it's life
>>
>>16582771
>After 20 years, the same lithium battery will still be almost perfect l, but a lead acid will have been replaced a dozen times.
Lithium batteries don't last forever.
>>
>>16582950
mazda is running capacitors instead of batteries.
>>
>>16580233
Well I'm not. I'm using an agm battery which is slightly newer technology.
>>
>>16580233
why are you still watching asian cartoons
>>
Cold
Cranking
Amps
Nigger
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.