[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are autotragics really that bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: gearstick.jpg (108KB, 1280x1137px) Image search: [Google]
gearstick.jpg
108KB, 1280x1137px
I live in the UK, so naturally I know how to drive a manual. I'm 18 and have a shitbox atm, but most nice-ish cars, BMWs, Audis, Mercs, Jags etc. pretty much all have automatic gearboxes unless they're self-styled as 'sporty'.

I have never driven an automatic, but they just look like they suck all the fun out of driving. What do I do when it's time to get a new car?
>>
No. The majority of places that use them have people cant afford auto. Its a dead, stupid technology that only has a purpose for sport/ nostalgia applications.
>>
It only matters with rwd cars and drifting/racing.

Like 99% of drivers have front wheel or awd and the closest they get to racing is stoplights and onramp.
>>
>>16577033
all you do is press the gas and the car changes gears for you, you can probably find a video of someone driving one and what you see is literally what it is. most enthusiasts prefer driving manual because they feel like they have more control over the car and its also cheaper to purchase and replace, which is why poorfags like me prefer them.
>>
>>16577048
Yet I know many people who, given the choice between a manual and an automatic version of the same car, will always pick the manual. It's cheaper, and when you've been driving them since you first started driving, it really doesn't bother you too much.
>>
I own an engine swapped rwd drift car.

I also own a Toyota Corolla for deliveries/uber. Unless you want to spin tires you may as well drive automatic. For the purposes of daily driving you don't gain anything from stick shift unless you are seriously about that life.
>>
>>16577057
>cheaper to replace

Literally cheaper to replace autos most of the time because of availability. If my 4L60e dies in my corvette, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing a ZF 6MT
>>
Old autos do, the newer ones aren't so bad. Try to get one with flappy paddles if nothing else if you're looking at auto only cars.

I've driven manual and auto, my current car is auto (was never offered in manual, E60 535D) and does not have flappy paddles. I'm looking to retrofit them. The gear changes are nice and quick but nothing beats being able to actually put it in the gear you want when you want it. But that changes again with the newer cars with DCT/DSG transmissions that change so fast it's unreal. But again it's still not a substitute for doing it yourself.

It doesn't bother me much though, because aside from knowing I can fit the paddles to mine, 9 times out of 10 I'm not pushing along as hard as I can doing mad skids around North Wales. If I'm just going to work and back I'm quite happy to let the car decide what to do for me.
>>
>>16577072
>Literally cheaper to replace autos most of the time
Not in the UK it isn't
>>
>>16577033
I have an automatic that has a fucked speed sensor and sometimes it would malfunction causing the speedometer to fly all over the place. That then caused the transmission to upshift and downshift all over the place while driving on the freeway.
>>
Well its all personal preference but look at it this way: would you rather fap? Or get your dick wet? end result is same just one feels whole lot better.
>>
>>16577033

>but they just look like they suck all the fun out of driving

Unless you are racing, I don`t see how driving can be "fun" or "entertaining". The obsession about manual gearbox looks plain stupid to me
>>
>>16577033
I had an auto 3 series and I fucking hated it.
If you grew up on manuals autos are horrible.
Avoid if you can.
>>
>>16577077
>the newer ones aren't so bad.
by what year do people mean that newer autos aren't so bad.

2005+? Or 2010+?

just got my license and thought I'd get a manual car, be a boyracer and go to trackdays and shit, but reality hits and lapping on a track is expensive.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.