[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did I fuck my car up?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: car.jpg (748KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
car.jpg
748KB, 1440x2560px
I used to have a lot of money and would pay to have all maintenance done to my car but certain things happened in life and now i'm tight on money. So I decided to do the maintenance myself to save cash.

About 3-4 days ago I decided I would get some Dot 3 brake fluid for my clutch and brakes. This would be my first time changing it myself. Both brake fluid and clutch fluid were completely black. I didn't have the tools to bleed it through the bottom and do it properly so I just got a turkey baster and sucked up from the clutch fluid reservoir as much as I could and filled it up while afterward pumpin the clutch.

I then I took the cap off the brake fluid reservoir and couldn't get the filter out because of how my cars made and there was nothing on the outside of the reservoir that I could find to access it so i just sucked up what i could and poured some brake fluid back up to the Max level.

A few days after doing this my caliper locked up and is scraping the rotor with a big ring around it now I have to replace my brakes, rotors, and calipers on the front wheels. Was this a coincidence or did I cause this?

>pic related
>>
>>16544947
Probably a coincidence. I don't know what you mean by filter in your brake reservoir though, there's no filter in your brake system. Unless you mean a random plastic thing that was underneath the actual cap. But if you fluid was straight black it was dirty so this may have been bound to happen anyway. Also what caused the lock-up? If it was the caliper piston locking up then you definitely needed to do more than a full bleed. If your sliders locked up then no amount of brake bleeding could have prevented it anyways, it's a completely different system.
>>
>>16544963
I'm not sure if it was the piston or not.
>>
>>16544963
That rotor also looks like your pads completely gone, my guess is your sliders froze, this caused one brake pad to wear more than the other then metal on metal contact happened once the pad wore away and that's when you noticed it.
>>
>>16544947
The shitty brake fluid was probably gumming up an existing leak in the caliper then the fresh washed the plug out. This is a thing that happens - usually to engines though when people switch to synthetic oil on high mileage cars.

You could have asked this in your other thread. Also, the guy meant you need to replace the pads on both sides. You only need to replace the rotor and caliper on the bad side.
>>
>>16544985
Hmmmm.. the months leading up to this happening I noticed sometimes my brakes were touchy and sometimes i had to press them harder. Could this lend any credit to your theory that they froze?
>>
>>16544978
You said you didn't have tools to bleed your brakes. Are you comfortable taking off your own wheel? If you are I could post a video of what to check if you want to get to the very bottom of it. But I'd recommend new pads, rotors, and calipers on both sides for complete peace of mind and completely get rid of the old fluid before putting in the new parts.
>>
>>16544989

>Also, the guy meant you need to replace the pads on both sides. You only need to replace the rotor and caliper on the bad side.

ohhh. thank you for telling me that.
>>
That's pretty crazy. Don't think fluid could have caused that. Maybe your slide pins. Rent the brake caliper piston compression tool at your local auto parts store and see if you can save the calipers rather than blow the money on new ones. Also pick up new caliper slide pins and lube them up good before installing. Old ones may be seized but use lots of PB Blaster and lots of twisting. New pads, rotors, and brake hardware and it should be good.

Also pick one of these up. It makes brake fluid work a lot easier and you won't have to get into the car to pump the brakes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-60770.html
>>
>Brake fluid
>clutch

are you the same negro that didnt know their was a difference between the brake and clutch slave?
>>
>>16545000
im having a friend help me who knows more. When you say get rid of the old fluids first, do you mean for the brakes and clutch or just the brakes?
>>
>>16544997
Probably, it's hard to describe what you felt with your foot a few months ago to me over the Internet though so...
>>
>>16545007
thanks for the tips
>>
File: 20170115_182005.jpg (231KB, 1749x984px) Image search: [Google]
20170115_182005.jpg
231KB, 1749x984px
>>16545046
No problem. I just recently solved some problems with my own brakes so I know the feeling. Pins are a real bitch to fight with.
>>
>>16545014
Just the brakes. Clutch is a separate system. The brake fluid is black because it's full of junk, if you put new parts on with the old fluid then that junk just gets inside the new parts and wears them out faster.
>>
This video has more information than will do you good op but focus on the parts of the caliper sliding and the piston moving then when your friend helps you try to locate those parts on your own car. https://youtu.be/MAuVDB-G-HQ
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.