[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

repairing a large windshield crack?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: cracked windshield.jpg (17KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
cracked windshield.jpg
17KB, 640x427px
My windshield has a crack about 18" long. I called a windshield repair shop, and they said that they can't repair anything more than a few inches; it has to be replaced.
But online, there are people saying you can repair longer cracks. For example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UxQpTeQBQg
shows fixing a 17 inch crack. So why does the windshield repair shop say they can't fix a crack more than a few inches long?
>>
>>16524409
Also, if it can't be repaired I am not going to replace it yet. What can I do in the meantime to minimize the spreading of the crack?
>>
Fill the crack with Krazy glue or pony up the $150 for a new windshield.
>>
>>16524420
>$150
quoted price is almost $250 :(
I did think about just using super glue, will that actually help the crack from spreading? It's in the lower passenger side so visibility isn't an issue, I just don't want it to grow and have my windshield end up breaking.
It's also only on the outside layer of glass, the inside layer is still fine
>>
>>16524409
>he doesn't have a zero glass deductible
Just call insurance and have them replace it and stop being a faggot.
>>
File: berserk-1593014.jpg (248KB, 754x1100px) Image search: [Google]
berserk-1593014.jpg
248KB, 754x1100px
I mean sure, you could - the trouble with these types of cracks is that they have a tendency to fail again, despite what the video says

If you get a lot of cold temperatures then its also much higher risk of it cracking again

The reason why the shop wont is that they know just how likely it is for it to fail and crack again, and they dont wanna waste their time having to redo or give you a new windshield

Its also not good for the structural integrity of the windshield

Get a new one. Not much else you can do
>>
>>16524441
>zero glass deductible
Is that a thing? I just assumed it would be my usual $250 deductable, which means I'd have to still pay it out of pocket. I'll call my insurance about it though and find out
>>
>>16524432

$150-250 is pretty average for a normal car. Pretty sure those crack repair places just squirt some sort of glue in the crack and hope for the best. It won't break unless it's a 1920's car. If you do replace it, do it after the streets are cleaned.
>>
>>16524420
>$150
>>16524432
>$250
holy fuck you guys my fucking windshield weather stripping costs $170. then probably 100-200 for the glass

the pleasure of owning a classic
>>
>>16524496
Just because your civic is 25 years old doesn't make it a "classic"
>>
>>16524557
the only honda i own is a lawn mower
>>
>>16524441
good goy, keep paying for that full coverage. the nation of Zion thanks you.
>>
>>16524452
If you have collision glass is usually included with no deductible.
>>
>>16524409
That kind of crack cannot be repaired. It will continue to spread until it reaches the edge.

Since the windshield is two pane, its probable that only the outer layer is cracked.

You can let the crack run its course, and let it spread to the edge, or try to stop it by drilling a tiny hole at the end of the crack, and filling it.

Otherwise think about getting new glass.

that video is very interesting, I never saw this technique used before.
>>
File: therideneverends.jpg (84KB, 634x662px) Image search: [Google]
therideneverends.jpg
84KB, 634x662px
>>16524409
Check with your auto insurance about replacing it. Florida, for example, there is a special stipulation for windshields where they have to replace it without charging you the deductible.
>>
>>16524432
>I don't want it to grow and have my windshield end up breaking
Lol what an idiot
>>
>Drives classic
>wants windshield nigger rigged

This doesn't add up
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.