[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Headliner.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: headlinerdown[1].jpg (41KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
headlinerdown[1].jpg
41KB, 800x600px
Do cars really need these stupid things?

Why not just tear it off?

I mean are their more practical alternatives to this stupid shit?
>>
Of course you can tear it down, it's your car.

It's there for looks, noise canceling, and for heat/cool retention.

There will be a mess afterward so bring your shopvac and wear a mask.
>>
>>16520542

Older cars were glued fabric and the glue breaks down, new cars are a molded piece that won't degrade.
>>
Get some spray adhesive. Tape off your windows.
>>
>>16520542
>OP's headliner is shitty.
>therefore ALL headliners are shitty

Top logic there, mate.
>>
File: 1474602639645.jpg (95KB, 966x641px) Image search: [Google]
1474602639645.jpg
95KB, 966x641px
>>16520542
>Do cars really need these stupid things?
They are excellent. But in old cars, the glue or sponge substrate has become oxidized and the fabric can sag. Some older cars had the fabric not glued but partially melted on (ultrasonic weld?) so it never let go. But over time, the spongy headliner becomes brittle. Instead of being soft foam that springs back, it aged and is now crumbly. Each time someone touches the headliner, the foam crumbles away and eventually it sags.

Having only bare metal is bad. The headliner reduces noise, temperature variations, retains heat from your heater in the winter and retains cool from your A/C in the summer. And your sound system will sound different (yuck) if you only have exposed metal to bounce the sound.

>I mean are their more practical alternatives to this stupid shit?
Do it youself would be practical. Spray foam? Ugly. Adhesive linoleum flooring? Ugly.

Trim tools to remove trim before removing or installing headliners was described in the archived dynamat thread.

You only say that because your headliner has no personality. So it is ignored and not really seen like some plain person walking along the street. But what if a supermodel walks down the street all dressed up? You notice that. If your headliner had personality, then it would add to the car instead of being neutral.
>>
>>16520542
They actually are necessary. One thing the other posts didn't mention is that they provide a barrier between the moist car air and the cold metal. In certain circumstances, you can get condensation forming on the metal if it is exposed to a constant stream of moist air from the cabin.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.