[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Marvel Mystery Oil

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: product_mysteryoil[1].png (96KB, 298x377px) Image search: [Google]
product_mysteryoil[1].png
96KB, 298x377px
Thinking about putting this in my mid 80's pickup truck to fix a sticky valve issue. Is it as good as they say it is?
>>
Probably won't fix much but smells amazing
>>
>>16516144
mechanic in a bottle
>>
It's a mystery.
>>
>>16516144
probably won't work but it won't hurt to put it in
>>
>>16516144
if it has flat tappets, or roller rockers then no, it will not help do any of the sort.
I have two cars from the mid 80's that still have screw type lash adjusters.

If you have hydraulic lash adjusters, it MIGHT do something, but more than likely the BB and regulator spring inside the tappet is gummed up so bad that it really is going to need to be taken apart and soaked directly in a solvent.

MMO is like 99% kerosene and 1% rendered Lard. Its mostly just a viscosity lowering agent.
>>
>>16516144
>Is it as good as they say it is?
I once had a carb that sat 10 years, throttle was frozen.
I submerged it in marvel for a day and it was moving like new.

However you need ZDDP in your oil.

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/Modern_Engine_Oils.htm
>>
>>16517111
MMO is like 99% kerosene and 1% rendered Lard

Proof?
>>
>>16517869
the back of the bottle, got to a pepboys and check it out
>>
>>16517869
i was wrong.
Its still mostly a snake oil viscosity reducer. Using it long term can be detrimental to all your hydraulic bearing faces. I would personally not use it long term in anything.

According to google :
"According to an NTSB post aircraft accident investigation published in 2003, a Marvel Mystery Oil sample tested was composed of 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.[3]"

The back of the bottle just lists mineral spirits, light oil, and lard which is odd that it does not contain an MSDS for the few wear additives in it
>>
>>16517891
Funny because I used it in my plane for 10 years and everyone I know runs it in theirs. Oil pressure reads higher when it's in the oil less wear on valve guides on overhaul. But hey its not certified and turns the 100LL purple. It's all subjective I suppose I like to think it does something. But I have never seen a lab report of what's exactly in it.
>>
>>16517891
The guy from that crash dumped 1 gal of mmo into his tanks guess he thought it was a diesel.
>>
>>16517925
i use it as 3-1 oil for the home : squeaky doors, derailleurs on bicycles, and as a motor flush on all my cars with 200k miles or more every other oil change, but im not brave enough to run it full time. I also have run it as an injector cleaner and lube to quiet them down, but it does not really work for that.

I ran it when i had some stuck lifters but it never really did anything for them and i had to take rocker arm/arm shaft out and clean it all with picks and toothbrushes.

There was nothing bad, but nothing good, i can really ever attribute it to doing. Its one of those "i always use this and have good results" products. Just like people that swear by Lucas Injector cleaners and whatever.
>>
>>16517111
OP here, the engine is a regular carbureted Z24 with screw type lash adjusters. Probably that the springs and the valves have burnt oil all over it.
>>
>>16519172
>the springs and the valves have burnt oil all over
Was there an engine fire?
>>
>>16519206
Oh God No. Unfortunately the old thermostat failed causing the engine to overheat and cracked the exhaust manifold. The oil I'm betting got solidified and gummed up the valves.
>>
>>16516144
is there some kind of shit i can put in my oil or something that will prevent the fucking oil from leaking out where the gasket is? had mechanics "fix" it and oil keeps coming out and leaking all over the engine
>>
>>16520902
1990 oldsmobile cutlass ciera S
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.