[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Replacing a timing belt on a Honda Civic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 00320683.gif (59KB, 1967x1306px) Image search: [Google]
00320683.gif
59KB, 1967x1306px
Should I try and replace a timing belt on a Honda Civic by myself, or leave it to a mechanic?
>>
>>16491026
How the fuck should we know? Are you mentally retarded that you can't even change something simple as a timing belt on one of the most overrated cars? There's probably a million fucking guides and videos on how to do that on a Civic, you fucking idiot. Leave this board.
>>
>>16491026
youtube and see
>>
>>16491031
>>16491030
I also mean it in an economic sense. I have some basic tools at home (wrench, hammer, screw driver, etc) but most guides have you using a lot of different other tools. Which I have to buy.

I got quoted $600
>>
>>16491039
Then make a simple math sum you idiot. Calculate the costs of the tools you have to buy and compare it to your six hundred american dollars
>>
>>16491043
I also want to know the level of difficulty of a job like this. Is this something that if I mess up could end up costing a lot to fix?
>>
>>16491053
I wont say its easy but it is pretty straight forward. As long as you get the timing marks in the right spot and torque everything down you should be ok.

>if I mess up could end up costing a lot to fix?
Yes. Just dont mess up m8.
>>
>>16491053
If you mess up you're gonna need a engine rebuild if it's a interference engine
>>
>>16491074
Yeah just take your time.

>needed timing belt and head gasket done on my D16 Civic
>uncle offered to do it free because he's based as fuck
>get all the parts
>offered to help but he prefers to do it alone so I watched a bit

From watching it a little bit it really doesn't look too bad. All the gears and pulleys have marks telling you where they should be so you'll know if you did it correctly. Pick up a manual for your car and follow it carefully.

If yours is a D series as well, it might be worth paying for the full timing belt swap video for it from ETCG. I would have gotten it myself if I were gonna tackle it on my own.

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/honda-d-series-engine-timing-belt-replacement-1989-2007-honda-civic-vmanual
>>
give it a go if you want to learn. go watch eric the car guy on youtube, im sure he has a video on it. i'd recommend getting a kit with a new tensioner and necessary idlers. if its your first time i wouldnt bother trying to change the cam seals, just keep it simple. Mark the belt and a tooth on each of the cogs (2x cams and 1xcrank) with a correction pen, then when you get the old belt off, copy the marks onto the new one. (easier to see than the factory marks). Im not sure what motor your have, but doing a t belts usually a good time to put in a new water pump.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.