[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Van for home - rust spots??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_3845.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3845.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
98 ford econoline 150. I want to live out of it for at lease a year.

Is this rust too bad? Is it too dangerous? Should I cut it all off and patch it? How long would I have if left untreated? Does it look like it alters the structural integrity?

More pics coming. There will be some shots underneath. There is plenty of rust underneath too, oh well, I'm presently only concerned with these spots that have rusted through completely.
>>
File: IMG_3846.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3846.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
This is the beam from underneath. The two opposite ends of this beam are where those two rusted spots sit.
>>
File: IMG_3848.jpg (688KB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3848.jpg
688KB, 2576x1932px
A shot of the spot right where the bolt in the rust spot comes through.

Think I could cut the rust spot away? Seems like too much stuff underneath to use a jigsaw.
>>
File: IMG_3852.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3852.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Mid shot of the beam itself. Seems fine.
>>
File: IMG_3854.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3854.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
This is the right side of the beam where the hole in the rust is.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Right rust hole
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Left rust spot.
>>
East coast - It's fucked
West coast - It's ok.
Western europe - WHAT DID YOU BUY???
Eastern europe - It will drive another 10 years.

where are you located?
>>
>>16486870

Currently in Texas. I will be traveling back up to Washington. I purchased the car in Washington, had taken it to two mechanics for work and also had some friends work on it. None of them commented on the rust.

I take it to a mechanic down here in the south and he freaks about the rust. The car has lived from Arizona to California. And supposedly driven all throughout the mountains.
>>
>>16486917
washington has the only rainforest in the united states and its right on a salty ocean, that thing is only gonna get way way worse

why didnt you check this stuff before you bought it ?
>>
Kind of odd places for it to rust, but it should be fine.

If you're really worried about it, get a couple 6"x6" pieces of 1/4" plate, drill a hole in them, pull the bolt out, put the plate on, put the bolt back.

The real issue would be exhaust leaking into the interior through them, the structural part is probably fine.

If it were me, I'd bedliner the floor, put down a piece of pressure treated plywood, screw it down and call it good.
>>
>>16487135

Worse yes, I'm not expecting it to stop. But will it incapacitate the car in a year of use?

I didn't check because of stress and pressure to find a car. I know, better decisions could have been made. Lessons learned, working with what I have now.
>>
>>16487136
Yeah my wife wanted me to pick up a resin patch to cover the hole. So I got a bondo fiberglass mat to cover it. Waste of time? A floor and insulation will be installed as well later on.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.