[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Air Conditioner Alternatives?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: AC Parts.jpg (134KB, 940x800px) Image search: [Google]
AC Parts.jpg
134KB, 940x800px
My car is almost 20 years old and has 150,000 miles. AC has been discharged for well over a year. This means moisture has fucked all the AC components, right?

That means even if I repair myself (which would take me a long time to do and I might fuck up), would cost me at least $725 with parts from AutoZone (not including the cost to discharge from a mechanic since I don't have an air compressor). Or I can pay the dealer or a mechanic $900 to $1,200 or more to fix it.

The winter is bearable wear a coat & gloves. I'm in the South, so it gets hot as fuck here much of the year, especially summer.

What are my options? I mainly drive to and from work (normal 9-5 hours). I have a big, cheap box fan in the back seat that worked okay this summer. I'm thinking of replacing it with a smaller, better air circulator (Honeywell) to throw on the passenger's seat (costs about $28). I guess I can throw some ice in a bag and throw on my neck on the commute home from work, and of coarse go barefoot while driving, etc.. Any other ideas?

At this age and mileage I don't know how much longer I'll have my car, so it doesn't make much sense to spend money on it. I've done a few things myself like change the headlight bulb and fix the driver's side window that wouldn't close. These were inexpensive repairs.
>>
File: c.jpg (118KB, 700x508px) Image search: [Google]
c.jpg
118KB, 700x508px
Do this
>>
If the AC clutch engages it should work. You can check the clutch manually by applying 12V power to it from your battery.

A little bit of moisture isn't going to fuck up the system completely.

Replace the drier and buy two cans of AC top up and it should work.

t. someone who has removed a leaking AC condenser and refilled the system completely
>>
>>16484713

>The winter is bearable wear a coat & gloves.

Wait, is your heater/blower out too?
>>
>>16484713
Bah.

Fix the leak. Pull a vacuum, throw refrigerant at it and go. If you really want to be ocd about it replace the accumulator too.
>>
>>16484737
kek'd. If only I could have some sort of AC/heater connected to some sort of solar panels that niggers couldn't steal (since the city wouldn't connect electricity without a house with a permit), I could buy some land somewhere and live in my car. Wouldn't have to pay rent or very high property taxes ever again.
>>
>>16484767
>what about sleeping well.

Man even in my class S mercedes I can't sleep.more than 1 night in it.
>>
>>16484754
Okay, I'll check the clutch, and see about replacing the accumulator. I should probably still have a mechanic flush the evaporator and/or liquid line (or hose) that connects to AC condensor before though, right?

>>16484761

The heater is out (doesn't heat). It blows fine. But it blows hot in the summer, and cold in the winter.

>>16484764
I can check for a leak.

>Pull a vacuum

What's that?

>>16484754 Anon does suggest replacing the accumulator aka drier.

>>16484829
Oh, I have an SUV. Could easily fit a twin mattress in the back if I removed the 3rd row seating. Definately couldn't do it with a sedan.
>>
>>16484764
>Pull a vacuum

Oh, forget it. You mean vacuum the moisture. Got it. Thanks.
>>
>>16484713
A/c work is not for the diy. Even if the refrigerant is gone it has been pumping air and a little bit of oil through the system. Just get them to throw in some refrigerant and leak test the system before you go replacing shit willy nilly. If you're not getting heat the heater core might be clogged or you have low coolant or a bad thermostat.
>>
>>16484969
Two mechanics recharged it with dye and couldn't find the leak, so they wanted to replace everything.

I think it might be a small leak that would take hours to run before being seen. When they recharged it though, it still wouldn't blow cold. Always hot (this was in the summer).
>>
>>16484990
>hey bo, you see the leak?
>nah joe, i dont see it either
>lets tell this guy everything needs to be replaced for $1200

Get a third opinion. If it's losing refrigerant obviously there's a leak. You want to take it to a shop that has an A/C machine. They hook it up to the ports and in sucks everything out. Then it holds the vacuum for 30 minutes and it the pressure goes down it indicates a leak. If the third guy can't find the leak it might be leaking past the seals in the compressor.
>>
File: rockauto parts.jpg (206KB, 1253x549px) Image search: [Google]
rockauto parts.jpg
206KB, 1253x549px
>>16485034
>an A/C machine.
>sucks everything out

Is this the same as getting it discharged? I can pay a mechanic to do this.

AutoZone lends a vacuum and manifold gauges for free (with a deposit). I can vacuum the system and check the pressure with the manifold gauges myself. I'm confident I can find the leak if it was just a case of lazy mechanics previously.

I think some AC jobs are diy if you do enough research and learning. For example, I'm confident I can change the compressor or change an O-ring (if a leaky O-ring somewhere is all it is). And it would be worth it for me if it's just one or two parts. But changing the whole system might not be worth it for me. Although RockAuto has cheaper parts, but I'm not sure about their quality. What does /o/ say?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.