[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Road salt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3020.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3020.png
1MB, 640x1136px
Hey guys! I'm in northern Kentucky and hate this road salt siting on the road making my car rust, I drive a German car (vw GTI) so they don't have much rust problems but it's getting old. Anyone have suggestions to not getting rust? I know American cars have issues too and everyone in the north
>>
just take it through a high pressure car wash every few weeks and you'll be fine. make sure it includes undercarriage too
>>
Here's a REALLY old trick that works everytime, but can be labor-intensive: Take used oil and with a brush, paint the entire underside of your car. This creates a barrier between the metal and the salt, but if you have any pre-existing rust, you gotta get rid of it first. Apply before the winter season, power wash it off after the last frost.
>>
>>16481438
THe idea that only german cars don't rust is an old one and an outdated one. That idea started in the 1980s when the Germans were the first to start using galvanized steel to protect against rust. Everyone uses galvanised steel now.
Only 2 car companies have had problems with premature rust in recent years. Toyota and Mazda. Toyota had the problem particularly with their trucks which rusted so bad, the frame would split in 2 when going in for a normal oil change.
That said
>>16481439
this works. A good solution is to get the car undercoated in an anti-rust oil based solution. The problem with this is it needs to be redone every year and it's fucking disgusting, but it works.

Another solution is these things
http://ruststop.net/2016/01/15/hello-world/
It uses a small electrical current to prevent the chemical reaction that creates rust from occurring. That device was tested at one point on the GM W-body forums. One guy (now banned on the forums) completely disassembled an Oldsmobile Intrigue to the bare shell, left it outside for 2 years with that on it, then put it back together. Not a spot of rust.
>>
I guess I'm living in old times, my dad has a few older cars (late 70s ) and they rusted bad and my Taurus rusted kinda bad. And my dads truck same year as mine has a lot of rust. It's my first car that I got on loan and I want it to last as long as I can. Already had it 2 years and I take good care of the paint. The under side is already under coated from the factory.
>>
>>16481555
Those factory undercoatings only last so long.
>>
File: Tacoma.jpg (376KB, 720x752px) Image search: [Google]
Tacoma.jpg
376KB, 720x752px
>>16481540
>Toyota had the problem particularly with their trucks which rusted so bad, the frame would split in 2 when going in for a normal oil change.
>>
>>16481438
>siting
>much rust problems
>and everyone in the north
>>
>>16481438

>mk4
>no rust problems

Is there room in your fantasy world for my mk4?
>>
>>16481438
Dude what the hell is wrong with your Golf.
It looks wrong but I can't put my finger on it.
>>
>>16481917
Not that anything is wrong with that, but it's a two door.
>>
>>16482190
No, that's not it.
Mine was also a 2-door.
It looks like the wheels are pushed inside the car.
Maybe is because of the angle the photo was taken.
>>
>>16482209
The centers of the rims are a bit recessed which makes them look odd at that angle.
>>
>>16482209
Guessing those are 16 inch rims, which are fairly standard for Mk4. Probably angle of the shot.
>>
The car is lowered and the stock wheels are 16x6 with a high offset so they do tuck in. Especially when lowered. And yeah the shot doesn't do it justice lol
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.