[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats supposed to be the benefits of a heavy clutch? Is a car

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Whats supposed to be the benefits of a heavy clutch?

Is a car with a heavy clutch bad to learn on for a manual newbie?
>>
Heavier clutches are USUALLY high-performance items designed to withstand lots of power, emphasis on USUALLY. It can also be the sign of a failing part in the whole system.

All in all, it's a matter of feel and of preference. To a complete newbie, maybe the heavy feel of the pedal may push his foot off the clutch's bite point faster than he'd like, making for a clunky drive. I personally found the bite point easier to find and gauge with a heavier clutch. Heavy clutches USUALLY have short pedal travel as well.
>>
>>16480329
Also there's cable vs hydraulic. Pretty much any cable clutch is going to be a bit of a bitch.
>>
Also what is considered "riding the clutch" just started driving manual and poeple keep telling me this.

then they say to learn manual you got to put it in first and release the clutch slowly until the car starts creeping forward?

Is that riding the clutch?
>>
>>16480493
No. It means don't apply any pressure if you are not going to be changing gear. The dead pedal is for your left foot to rest on until such time as you do, then you move it to the clutch pedal and depress it, move the stick to your desired gear, release while you apply gas, move your foot back.
>>
>>16480493
You kind of have work the clutch in first and reverse, ideally you want to release it completely or have it fully depressed with minimal time in between. But you also want your take-offs to be smooth.

Riding the clutch is anytime the clutch is slipping (when not fully depressed or fully retracted). This can cause excessive wear and you'll probably smell it.
>>
>>16480505
>>16480655

riding the clutch is essentially pressing the clutch when not needed.
>>
>>16480662
No it's unnecessary partial depression
>>
>>16480676

I put it very badly. This is what I meant.
>>
how about having it at the biting point to creep forward a bit slowly an snore controlled

is that considered riding the clutch
>>
>>16480709
Yes, you're better off letting it bite to start rolling, then fully depress it again. The more you let the clutch slip, the more it will wear.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.