[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mercedes-Benz Roadsters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: mercedesbenz-450sl-7.jpg (940KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
mercedesbenz-450sl-7.jpg
940KB, 2048x1536px
Opinions on this? Thinking about buying an SL/SLC soon.
>>
>>16444324
bump
>>
>>16444324
I have a 1988 560SL. it's an absolute joy.... unless you plan to work on it yourself.
>>
>>16444406
Besides the cracked dash may may, any other major problems you've encountered?
>>
>>16444413
The sun visors and the clips that secure them to the A-Pillar and top of the windshield tend to fail. easy to fix with a new part, provided you can manage to pull the original one off.
>>
>>16444426
I gotcha, thanks.
>>
>>16444440
no problem bro. Take care of it well and you'll absolutely love it
>>
>>16444324
most of them are slow and all of them are expensive

only stock one that isnt Ls swapped I could reccomend is an R129 1989-1994 500SL M119/4 speed
>>
>>16445812
Might drop a motor in it once I've had it for a while, but it's not on the priority list. Speed isn't everything anon. R129's are dogshit, if I wanted to buy a beveled square I'd buy a Foxbody Mustang.
>>
>>16446427
this, stick with the gen you're looking at
>>
>>16444324
All but one of the 107s I've worked on have been garbage. Not bad cars, just horribly abused. The one good one was a fantastic machine. Ran like a top and super comfy driving.
Try and find one that has been properly taken care of or restored, especially in regards to the interior. Mechanical parts are easy to come by and they're really not that hard to work on, but the interior is another story since none of the panels are reproduced. The only new interior bits available for any old Benz is the horsehair seat padding and seat upholstery and it's fucking expensive. I'd also suggest looking for post-'75 models. D-Jetronic sounds good on paper but it's a 45-year-old fuel system and parts are both rare and expensive whereas K-Jetronic parts are still being made. K-Jet is also somewhat easier to work on.
>>
File: 1981-mercedes-benz-slc.jpg (134KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1981-mercedes-benz-slc.jpg
134KB, 1280x960px
>>16446680
Thanks for the advice, I've also been trying to look for one that has the euro-bumpers on it and halfway decent louvers. Managed to find a nice '81 but it's got the American bumpers, and I'm really not up to dropping $2-3000 on a set.
>>
>>16444324
I was appalled by the ride in the one low-mile 560 I rode in on a pre purchase inspection. Much too firm for the type of car imo. Hell, the C4 A6 I had at the time was smoother by a lot.
>>
>>16446849
You don't need to buy actual euro bumpers from Europe. The 1973 US bumpers are effectively identical and can be had for as little as a couple hundred bucks if you find some locally. Car-part.com is also your friend.
The only thing to worry about is you'll have to fab up mounting brackets because the 5mph bumpers mount differently than the slim bumpers. There are several DIY threads on forums that use various methods.
>>
>>16446897
Haven't had much luck looking for them locally. In terms of the interior I've thought about taking the seats out of my 300D parts car if it comes down to it. The interior isn't bad in the '81 but I've found that all of the blue interiors end up looking filthy no matter what you do.
>>16446885
My 300D rides the same way, I honestly prefer it.
>>
File: comebreaklegs.jpg (46KB, 510x546px) Image search: [Google]
comebreaklegs.jpg
46KB, 510x546px
>>16446427
>R129's are dogshit
>>
>>16444406
Why are they hard to work on?
>>
>>16448039
CIS injection is tough if you don't know anything about it, which hardly anyone does. They had a lot of tech (for their time) as well. Lots of small things add up, sender going bad, window regulator, vacuum leak, any German car from that era is a constant battle.
>>
>>16448054
>CIS injection is tough if you don't know anything about it, which hardly anyone does.
There's literally mountains of information on how it operates and how to tune it. It's honestly not particularly difficult, it just requires a lot of patience since you pretty much have to do everything by ear unless you have some of the old test equipment, which nobody does.
>>
File: 1442531060860.png (204KB, 549x553px) Image search: [Google]
1442531060860.png
204KB, 549x553px
>>16447352
It's all up to personal preference. I an see the merits, I can't see past the cheese wedge design.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.