[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I go for a C230?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: mecedes.jpg (71KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
mecedes.jpg
71KB, 640x480px
Found this supercharged 2000 C230 that spent its entire life in Texas, with only 79,000 miles. It's $2,900. Is there something horrible about this car why I shouldn't go for it? It has a big scratch on the bumper but that's it. The history checks out.
>>
>>16437139

go for it
>>
>>16437139
>is there something horrible about this car?

yes. It is a merecedes
>>
Well it's a 17 year old, supercharged Mercedes and its $2900. If you plan on daily driving it, you're probably going to spend more than that each year keeping it running.
>>
>>16437211

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. What sort of maintenance should I expect?
>>
I have a '99 C230K that I bought with 84k miles, and I love it. Mine was in fantastic shape to begin with, but they're generally considered to be very reliable, at least for a German car. The engine is legendary, and it's the last cheap Mercedes designed before Chrysler.

I've had mine for about 3 years, and the only "major" thing I've done that I can think of is the wheel bearings. The parts aren't super cheap, but this is one of the cheapest Mercedes ever sold in the US. Parts are roughly on par with a similar VW from my experience. I can't speak to the labor, I do the work myself.

Lube up the wiper mechanism, it gets pretty crusty after 17 years and makes you think your wiper blade is shit.
>>
>>16437296
Also, I bought it because it's easy to work on. I haven't had to do much, like I said, but everything I've encountered has been pretty damn good.
>>
>>16437139
Doesn't that have a supercharged 1.8 that barely makes 200 HP?
>>
>>16437307
Supercharged 2.3 that makes 185, but yep. It has lots of low end torque, so it still accelerates pretty well.
>>
>>16437313
Would rather get a 330
That stock P2W on the merc is downright scary
>>
File: 20160131_153349_resized.jpg (403KB, 1302x733px) Image search: [Google]
20160131_153349_resized.jpg
403KB, 1302x733px
Remember that its an old car, and that it will have old car problems. Rubber starting to get rotted, bearings and bushings going out, outer edges of gaskets are drying up and smoldering.

Also, a lot of the electronics you'll find in these were somewhat uncommon when it was produced, and had not been able to be properly tested in how they survive over time, so don't be too produce if you run into problems with the ASR, the "sensor sticks" on the transmission and similar stuff
>>
>>16438880
>ASR
???

When the car has this option it is integrated into the ABS and both were around quite some time when the W202 came out. Surprises me a little that you count that as immature tech.
>>
>>16438913
Antriebsschlupfregelung
>>
File: 20150727_223824_resized.jpg (3MB, 3984x2241px) Image search: [Google]
20150727_223824_resized.jpg
3MB, 3984x2241px
>>16438913
Indeed - integrated into the ABS, and it has been known for giving quite a few problems. Not working at all, going off when the rears aren't even slipping, burning out (happened to mine, had to replace the entire ABS/ASR unit) and the weirest fault I've seen; fucking the ABS up so that the left front wheel and rear right wheel was the only two with ABS working while the other two would lock up

They're good cars, but I can only recommend them if they are in good condition
>>
That has the M111 engine.
My w124 200e has the same one minus the compressor.
Its slow, but reliable.
>>
>>16437177
dis nigga aint got a brain celle
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.