[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is dent pulling a worthwhile skill to have? Or should I just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

Is dent pulling a worthwhile skill to have?

Or should I just pay a professional to do it so there's no danger of me fucking up? Pulling the dent out doesn't seem hard, but tapping the raised edges with a hammer down does.

A dent pullet kit is like $50 and so is getting the dent out at a shop. Should I teach a man to fish?
>>
>>16435414
When it comes to weird shit you'll use once in your life, you're better off paying a professional. Like that any fuck ups are insured
>>
>>16435422
It does seem like a very specific skill to spend time developing. And the potential for fuck up is high. But the potential to become immune to door dings is appealing.
>>
>>16435433
If you feel like learning, it could be worth it to you. Knowledge and skill has no price. I personally wouldn't want to do this because I never really get dents and if i did its no big deal to me.
>>
>>16435414
Eh it's fun to learn new stuff, but how often are you getting dents you could pull yourself? Not often I'd assume. Not to mention if you fuck it up you are either gonna have something even more unsightly, or turn a $50 fix into a $500 fix.
>>
>>16435452
This, typically when having a pro do some oddball task you rarely have to do costs the same as DIY, just let them do it so you are guaranteed to have it not be fucked up
>>
>>16435414
>Is dent pulling a worthwhile skill to have?
Pulling a dent by drilling a hole and pulling the metal out is risky if done by amateurs. You can also pull with suction cups or by pushing on the backside which is what PDR often does.

PDR is useful and saves money. But it is also an art and not wholly a purely technical skill. That's because some dents need a lot of stroking over time because the metal is stretched.

Pulling a dent is basically a physical fix that occurs suddenly with respect to the metal. It gives the metal no time to relax and partially unstretch . PDR people will typically fix the deeper dents gradually and parts of the dent in a certain order to take advantage of unstretching the metal. Not all of the strech can be removed of course, but some of it can.

PDR (paintless dent repair) doesn't mean no paint is used. It just means that full panel repainting is not used which is the typical body shop approach (expensive).
>>
>>16435414
Can you pull your dick?
Congrats you can pull a dent.
>>
>>16435736
>But it is also an art and not wholly a purely technical skill.

this. body work takes talent or a shitload of practice. its not just reading out of a hanes manual.
>>
>>16435414
If i got a dent on my door, couldn't I just open up the whole door and push the panel back out from the inside?
>>
>>16435414
You should study and practice shit like that first so you won't fuck up. I'd tell you to take it to a professional and be done with it. If you really want to learn, buy a beat to shit shitbox and practice on it.
>>
>>16436081

Go to a junk yard and buy a hood and a few panels. Clamp them down to a work bench and practice.
>>
File: studease.jpg (277KB, 1500x1278px) Image search: [Google]
studease.jpg
277KB, 1500x1278px
Hey man... Amateur dent puller here.... I taught myself..

Get yourself one of the stud guns that welds the stud on (kinda like a spot welder, but uses these little pins with a head on it)... Use a die grinder with a rollock scotch brite on it, and knock the paint and primer off down to the bare metal... Spot weld the stud onto the panel, then attach the slide hammer.... GENTLY begin tapping the dent out...

To keep the metal from crowning around the edge, you will prolly want to tap the metal back down around the welded on stud LIGHTLY while using the slide hammer.

Once the panel is ALMOST FLAT (you wil never get it perfect), then twist the stud off (they are strong when pulling straight out, but not strong if you put lateral force on them)... Use your die grinder again to knock off the remains of the weld...

Put a skim coat of fiberglass on the panel... Sand down and work as you would any other typical panel repair.

Then paint the panel.

There. You're done. You now know the entire process. Go practice, and enjoy being able to fix many of hte dings you will get on your cars in life.
>>
>>16435414
Is dick pulling a worthwhile skill to have?

Or should I just pay a professional to do it so there's no danger of me fucking up? Pulling the dick out doesn't seem hard, but tapping the raised edges with a hammer down does.

A dick pull is like $50 and so is getting the dick out at a shop. Should I teach a man to fish?
>>
>>16436047
No. Almost no door has complete access to the outside panel of the door. Think of a wiffle ball. Its 2 layers, it goes (from interior to outside of door) Door trim, metal, empty air, metal. If you can take off tue interior trim panel, and see if you have any access to the dent, otherwise you're fucked, body shop it is for you.
>>
>>16437013
could you cut past the inner metal or something though
>>
>>16437093

Inflatable pouches.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.