[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice on buying cheap older car for someone with no mechanical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: celica.jpg (318KB, 850x446px) Image search: [Google]
celica.jpg
318KB, 850x446px
I want to buy a fairly reliable car for under $3000AUD but have zero mechanical experience and my knowledge is limited to what I've seen on the internet, but I'm keen to learn and do as much maintenance on the car myself as possible.

I'm mostly interested in 80s-early 2000s Japanese sports(ish) cars, and I've been looking particularly at 5th and 6th gen celicas, integras, imprezas and mx6's. Any particular cars which are likely gonna be money pits or to avoid? Any recommendations or advice? Cheers
>>
All of those are probably money pits.

Just buy a falcadore like the rest of the p platers ya gaycunt
>>
>>16428599
I can speak for imprezas because they're the only one of those cars that I've dealt with mainly the Gc8/gf8s

Any other colour than white is probably going to have fading paint and peeling clearcoar. If you're after awd some of the earlier ones are fwd 1996 and before. Alot of p platers have owned and thrashed the fuck out of them so basically be sketchy of hektik podfilter, hektik exhausts, hektik rims and hektik subwoofer. If you still like those things remember they don't add any value to the car. Check for rocker cover leaks head gasket leaks, rear main seal leaks and pull the spark plug leads and check for oil there too.
Try and find something with a service history beyond 'oh my dad always dis that for me' and if it's above 100000ks make sure it's had a timing belt and water pump replacement.

Also don't buy from.me because I'll fuck you over
>>
>>16428551
Having owned a huge wad of Toyota's a R33 and a bunch of falcsdores I'd go with the dunnydoor LS as a daily and a jdm as a project car.

Sadly for 3k your not gonna find much I've been scouring facebook gumtree and carsales for weeks looking for interesting shit since my project has been off the road and your basically limited to clapped out 90s turbos but you can find some interesting projects that are regod and seem ok if not a little rough around the edges

What state u in ausbrah?

I found some decent gt-4 turbo celicas and some weird alternative oddities go on gumtree it craps over carsales and eBay they are full of overpriced Boomer shit
>>
>>16428648
Tfw old 80s and 90s Japanese cars are going the way of 'not many left will be collectable soon. 20000'
>>
>>16428719
No joke literally every one I found was modded and badly too.

As soon as I see a subwoofer I close and move onto the next.

Most of them under 6k have 200-300k milage on them as well as shit interiors and shit maintenance
>>
>>16428648
what do you mean by a dunnydoor LS? (still new to some of the lingo).

I'm in NSW, western sydney. Yeah I saw a couple of gt4's as well there but thought they might have been a little dodgy, so I'd probably settle for the standard fwd celica if im looking for something under 3k. Thanks for the advice
>>
>>16428625
sounds like good advice, thanks mate. yeah p-plate thrashers is the main thing I'm worried about with the imprezas
>>
File: DSC_0018.jpg (69KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0018.jpg
69KB, 640x400px
OP here, also considering buying an old corolla, maybe from the 90s like pic related, as I've heard corollas and toyota in general are meant to be pretty reliable. Will I have better luck looking at these rather than celicas, imprezas etc?
>>
>>16430927
they all are massive rustbuckets by now.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.