[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stick Shift Questions General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 4682882_3.jpg (48KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
4682882_3.jpg
48KB, 640x426px
Hopefully others will find this thread useful.

I've been driving stick for about 8 weeks in a 98 Accord shitbox (pic related). I'm competent and don't stall anymore, but my shifts aren't always perfect.

How long did it take /o/ to achieve really smooth shifts all the time, or do you ever get to that point?
>>
>>16414646
i got pretty proficient at it around 3 months
i learned in an old pos chevy truck though
>>
>>16414646
Took me about a day.

Thanks mom for teaching me.
>>
>>16414646
This is something I have been wondering myself. I've been driving stick for about a month now and it's still pretty rough sometimes
>>
>>16414646
>>16414805
You know how when you downshift you need to rev match? The same applies for upshifting.

If you're in 1st gear at 4k RPM and shifting to 2nd gear would have you at 2.5k RPM, KEEP THE CLUTCH IN UNTIL THE REVS ACTUALLY FALL TO 2.5K RPM
>>
>>16414822
>You know how when you downshift you need to rev match? The same applies for upshifting.
Difference being you don't need to touch the gas for upshifting, but the principles behind it are the same.
>>
>>16414822
Don't listen to this guy you don't HAVE to wait for the revs to fall nor do you HAVE to rev match when you down shift.
>>
>>16414822
This, you can straight dump the clutch if the RPMs match. Remember that it's related to the speed of the car and not the engine, so you can't just do a burnout in first gear and shift into second. It will still lug the engine.

I hardly spend any time on the clutch. I've been driving standard for a little over half a year now and I can't shift without rev matching. My brain won't allow it.
>>
>>16414853
You don't HAVE to, but the OP is specifically asking how to shift smoothly. That's the way to shift smoothly without burning out your clutch by slipping it all the time.
>>
I'm about to buy my first manual car. Anything I should know? I don't have anyone to teach me.
>>
>>16415080
Just balance clutch and gas when starting in first, imagine theres a direct relationship between the two to help you get going.

The rest becomes easier with youtube tutorials
>>
>>16415142
Thank anon. I'll look on YouTube for some more tips too.
>>
I've been driving stick for about a week and a half and I can typically get going smoothly now, still have a hard time getting 1st to 2nd shifts smooth. I think my problem is staying in first too long to accelerate so the revs are too high.

Am I right?
>>
Took me about a week

Then I got an automatic and haven't looked back
>>
It takes time to get it real good. Remember you'll never always shift perfect 100% of the time, don't let it discourage you

In some cases it might be your clutch being clunky too

For instance in heavy city traffic my mustangs clutch will get pretty clunky
>>
File: FB_IMG_1476329900912.jpg (102KB, 1080x540px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1476329900912.jpg
102KB, 1080x540px
>>16414646
Been driving auto boat for years
Bored shitless and wanted a manual and also a V8
First manual car ive owned is now a 6.0 L76 ute

How bad of an idea was this?
>>
>>16416780
I should point out due to license restrictions is why I couldnt drive a V8 or a manual (as I didnt do the test in a manual) so I had to wait until my full license
>>
>>16416480
Depends, in a diesel you need to rev, depending on the car, about to 2 to 2,5k rpm in a gasoline one you would want to go for 2,5 to 3k but it´ll change from car to car

Getting a diesel higher than 3k rpms is a waste
Same with gasoline and 5k

Also avoid using 1st gear for anything that isn´t starting/getting your car running ie stop lights , stops or unparking

And it´s all about practice really
>>
>>16416780
it's only a bad idea cause utes are the biggest fucking cop bait alive, and they're honestly the most fun when you're breaking the law.
apart from that, not very. they're pretty nice cars, they go fast, and they've got a large tray to store your shit in.
>>
>>16416814
Im more talking about how badly can I fuck up a manual gearbox essentially learning to use one again with the power of a v8, not a korean shitbox
>>
>>16414646

Read that as
>How long did it take /o/ to achieve really smooth shits all the time
>>
I learned to drive with a manual transmission. My wife learned to drive with a manual transmission. My son learned to drive with a manual transmission.

Nobody, absolutely, positively NOBODY, should ever first learn to drive using an automatic.

Therefore, our learning curve was a matter of hours behind the wheel. Within 5 hours of driving, my son shifted perfectly every time.

Fact is, in our state, if you want a 15 year old to have a license, you have to take a driving class. The class that I signed him up for is taught by some Highway Patrol troopers. When the guy came to the door to pick my son up for his first behind the wheel lesson, I explained to him that he's never driven a car with an automatic. The trooper looked puzzled, but kinda happy. I asked him how many other kids he's experienced that with, he pointed at my son and said, "he's the first!".

So, those classes weren't wasted. The HP Trooper taught my son to drive a car with an automatic transmission.
>>
>>16416954
good father.
>>
>>16416830
If you can't find'em Grind'em.
>>
>>16416954
Good Pops
>>
How much RPM do you guys give when on a steep incline? I go like 2300
>>
>>16416954
Makes sense. When I got my first car it was standard, but I had been driving autos for 5 years. I had to unlearn all my auto habits and it took about a month and a half until I was smoothly operating and confident using my car.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.