[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

F350

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 1

File: f350.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
f350.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
Recently, my dad moved to Hawaii and left his truck for me.

It is a 1995 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Diesel crew cab, and it isn't running.

It has about 250,000 miles on it, but my dad told me that theoretically diesel engines can last a lifetime. Its been broken down sitting in a field for 3 years now, making an awesome home for some rats. I work construction and am in need of a truck, but have no experience working on cars let alone diesel trucks.

Different mechanics have taken looks at it and plugged their diagnostic scanners into the computer, but have gotten no error codes back. After charging the batteries, I tried to turn the engine over but the starter sounded soft. I think recently it had the starter replaced.
>>
Sorry I forgot to ask if anyone possibly knows whats wrong with it/had similar problems or for suggestions.
>>
>>16409418
Well, it's not turning over for a start.
Throw another battery at it and see if it turns it over at an acceptable rate, and glows the glow plugs. There's not much point investigating further until you sort that.
>>
>>16409421
I charged the batteries for about 7 hours today until the indicator light on the charger said they were all charged up. Assuming both batteries are good should I just take a look at the glow plugs now?
>>
>>16409417
What did your dad say about why he parked it?
>>
bumps
>>
>>16409417
air fuel spark
>>
>>16409417
>I work construction and am in need of a truck
No crew guys run their own trucks. Ever. Just buy an S10 for 2k if you feel the need to fit in.
>>
>>16409626
yeah thats pretty important

also buy/download/pirate all the service manuals for the thing
>>
>>16411012
>Diesel
>Spark
Try again
>>
>>16411192
air fuel continuity

is that better you autistic faggot?
>>
>>16409463
batteries sitting for 3 years WILL be fucked, get new ones. Also just because your charger has charged them to their maximum capacity doesn't mean the batteries have enough capacity to turn your engine over.
>>
Man, I do NOT know any fucking one that would want to tackle a non running DIESEL truck thats been sitting and rotting in a field for 3 years...

Its feasible if it were a gasser, but man with diesels you are really opening a can of worms especially when its been sitting for 3 years.

You might want to ask yourself, is this really even worth it?

Sure that engine can go another 250K but thats just the engine. The rest of the truck at 250K is IMHO very used up. The truck will fall apart around that engine, so even if you did get it to run in some capacity, is it worth it?
>>
>>16413857
Depends on the shape of the body. If it's rusted to shit then yeah I would not bother.
>>
>>16413857
7.3 powerstroke guys are delusional. There's so much electronic shit on them that's impossible to get that only a moron would pick one up.

6.0s were shit and expensive, while 6.4s have parts source issues, are shit, and apparently have solid gold parts based on pull prices.

At least the 6bt fags have an engine that will run if given voltage.
>>
>>16411243

This.

Before you attempt to start the truck;
>Drain the fuel tank, add fresh fuel filter and fuel
>Do an oil change, especially if you don't know how far it went on whatever oil might be in it
>Take off the rocker cover and pour a bit of fresh oil over the cams/rockers, because they will likely be bone-dry
>Fresh battery because whatever is in it will be fucked

Work from there. If it's still not turning over, start looking at starter motor and compression.

>>16413857
>Its feasible if it were a gasser, but man with diesels you are really opening a can of worms especially when its been sitting for 3 years.

Diesels are pretty simple engines. If there is fuel and compression, it SHOULD start sooner or later.
>>
Injectors are probably dry, right behind a little plug of congealed diesel.

Good luck getting it started. figure out where the "prime" button is- you're going to have to hit that button a couple of hundred times before it starts.
>>
>>16409417
First charge/replace your battery.
If the starter acts the same then change that.
Once it's turning over make sure to bleed the injector lines if it won't fire. Maybe even change the fuel filter before bleeding the lines
>>
>>16414185
6BT sure. There's nothing electric on that engine except the starter, alternator and fuel shutoff valve.

ISB, no. That uses a computer-controlled Bosch rotary injection pump, similar to the one Volkswagen uses on the TDIs.

And then they went common rail, which has more in common with the HEUI of the 7.3 than it's predecessor.
>>
>>16414263
This.
>>16414436
And this.
Change all filters, drain the tank and check the fuel lines for ruptures. If it sucks air into the system it won't run. Prime the fuck out of it before you try to start it again. When a solid stream comes out of the valve, you should be good to go.
And oil, for god's sake. Don't forget the oil. These niggas know what's up.
>>
>>16409417
OP you typically wont get any codes back if the sensors are all in working order.

Best bet would be to check look at fuel pressure and change/clean out lines and fuel filters just to be sure, also wont hurt to mix in some kerosene with fresh diesel to clean the injectors and pump out whilst cranking.

Do you have any way to check diesel pressure after the high pressure pump? IF theres weak to low pressure you might want to remove the pump and give her a good cleaning.

Some info on how your system works is in this article:
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/expert-advice/1304dp-heui-how-high-pressure-oil-injection-systems-work/
>>
>>16415300
I forgot to tell you might want to check the crank/cam position sensors. These commonly fail and sometimes dont throw codes.

If the crank or cam pos sensor fails the ecu doesnt know when to inject diesel.
>>
>>16409417
You need to basically replace the whole fuel system if that shit turned over it's gunk.
>>
>>16409417
>I work construction and am in need of a truck
no you don't. nobody runs their own iron. not unless you're a one man show.
>>
>>16415351
I'm majoring in Construction Management at ASU, hopefully I'll get hired with Hensel-Phelps and get a company truck but if that falls through I'm taking over my dads company.
>>
Op: go to the Ford truck enthusiasts forum and ask them. Those guys are living libraries for these trucks
>>
the thing isnt even obd2, what the fuck are you expecting to get from it if it wont even turn over? an actual obd2 probably wouldnt even give you anything
>>
>>16415594
Dude there is no OBD 2 Port.

There is probably some way of getting codes through flashing lights or something.

That said, if it's been sitting for 3 years there god knows how mzny bugs and shit inside it. Lotta dry rotted rubber I bet.
>>
>>16409417
go get another car with jumper cables and and wait 10 minutes and try and hit the key.

also try and prime up the diesel pump basically push the button it till you cant push it then it should start.

2 reasons a car wont go: lack of fuel or lack of spark.
>>
>>16415594
>>16415607

ECU. Should be under the passenger dash. If not, under drive kick panel. If not there, inside hood up on driver fire wall. Or passenger fire wall.
>>
>>16413857
You'd have an easier time getting a diesel running after sitting for that time than you would a gasser.
Not really sure where this idea of diesels being unserviceable came from in recent times on /o/.
>>
>>16416479
>diesels being unserviceable came from in recent times on /o/.
From the fact that you can't source critical components for a 7.3L powerstrokes.

If this was a 12 valve or an old merc no one would be saying it. We're just giving him a heads up that these trucks are effectively dead from a hard use / fleet maintenance standpoint.

The only realistic option for an old truck you can buy every component for right now is the GM twins with a SBC.
>>
>>16416753
And what "critical components" do you think needs sourcing in this case?
It likely needs charge, oil, filters and a bleed.
>>
>>16415624
>diesel
>lack of spark
>>
Get a guy with a powerstroke specific computer on it. Regular ODB2 readers shut powerstrokes off.

If it was taken off the road for no longer running, i would guess it was probably the HPOP you'll know from reading pressures while cranking it.

unless it's below freezing, you shouldn't need glow plugs to start it. you should be able to hear spots of weak compression while turning it over, basically anywhere it the rotation where it starts cranking faster.

To get a 7.3 running you need enough pressure out of the HPOP for the computer to let the injectors fire, fuel in the fuel lines and air through the intake. pretty much else being fucked will make it run like shit, but won't stop it from running.
>>
Try anything yet?
>>
I'll also add, once the fuel line has been primed (should be either a hand or electric pump) so there's a solid stream of fuel, get someone to turn the motor over and individually crack each injector until you can see diesel seeping through, then nip it back back. An air lock in the injector pump or any of the injector lines will keep it from running.
>>
>>16416753

Man I'm in rural Australia and I can get the full catalogue for the 7.3 in both IDI and DI Powerstroke.

Not sure where you are looking.
>>
>>16416836
Not useful for OP b/c obd1, but "FORscan" is a very useful free window utility to read Ford OBD2 information that can't be read with standard OBD2 software. I used it recently to diagnose a no-power condition (bad ICP sensor) on my 7.3 e350.

For OP I suggest getting the starter to work well using jumper cables or new batteries, then checking fuel pressure at the fuel bowl. If you don't have fuel pressure check the filter, lines, in-tank pickup, and pump(s?). If you do have fuel pressure check the injector control wiring harnesses that go into each side rocker cover.

If you don't have experience working on vehicles you should get someone who does to help diagnose, or study how the 7.3psd fuel injection system works from end to end.
>>
>>16418909
There is no "injection pump"
It's HEUI.
>>
>>16419255
Just read up on, the idea's pretty nifty although I'd sooner have faith in a conventional indirect setup or a commonrail (general consensus seems to this anyway).
My point still stands though, the best way to rid a system of an air is to individually crack each injector while it's turning over.
>>
>>16419576
The fuel line is in the cylinder heads.
I can't remember if it uses an electric lift pump or not, but if it does, the thing to do is to find the return line coming from the cylinder head, open that up, and watch for fuel.

If it's a mechanical pump, he should add a little electric knockbox for priming.
>>
>>16411212
Nope not better fuel is ignited through compression in a diesel no electricity required
>>
>>16409417
Change all of the oil, thats the regular 15 quarts in the pan and the extra 3 in the hpop. Change the fuel filter, and make sure theres fuel in the bowl. Clean the air intake. If the batteries (there are two of them) are in fact charged and the starter motor is in good shape, she should fire up eventually.
t. 7.3 owner
>>
>>16421216
I forgot to mention, you should probably just change both batteries, you need a lot of amperage to turn the engine over, especially one that hasn't ran for 3 years. Did it run when parked btw?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.