[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shitbox air filter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (948KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
948KB, 1200x900px
I just bought a shitbox with one of these racing air filter things on it. I have heard these are useless, should I try to find the normal air filter stuff and put that on? It seems to be a name brand one and not just a Pringles tube or some shit if that matters.

I don't know much about cars and I just care about getting to my destination without it breaking down all the time
>>
What car and filter brand?

I'd probably just leave it. It'll do it's job if all you want is to not break down, and the difference either way is negligible. Unless you live in a really dusty area, the filter quality is probably fine and replacements shouldn't be expensive.

>select images with tea
>do so
>still makes me pick one that's clearly coffee and one that could go either way
>>
>>16402683

Leave it on. If it's sucking warm air from the engine bay, it might even improve your fuel economy a little.
>>
>>16402723
It's on a 2008 Honda Accord and the tube and filter say K&N on them. I don't live in a dusty area, so I guess I'll just let it alone then. Thanks
>>
>>16402746
That's even better, since it'll do nothing, but the filter (assuming it, too, is K&N) is washable. Just make sure to wash and oil it, because they do let in more dirt than paper filters, even more so when neglected.
>>
>>16402746
Yea just leave it. Just as adding it would do little, changing back to stock would also do little, but probably subtract a couple hundred dollars from your wallet getting all the stock components back.

The reason they get some much flak is they cost $300-$500 and hardly change anything. So spending money to go back to stock and gain nothing is just as bad. Someone else footed the bill for you, you might get .1-.2 more MPG, so enjoy those extra pennies every time you fill up
>>
>>16402764
Oh ok that's cool then, is there a certain time I should wash it?
>>
>>16402777
I dunno, now, then again in 50-60k miles or whatever K&N says.
>>
>>16402795
Ok that's pretty far off then. I assume common sense of just looking at it and seeing if it's full of garbage is an acceptable indicator as well?
>>
>>16402683
Question OP, is your example enclosed in a sealed box like pic related?
>>
>>16403073
I don't know what you mean. It's got the metal plate with the rubber on top around the filter if that's what you mean
>>
>>16402806
Duh.
What a dumb question.
>>
k&n makes good stuff

if the filter got its own closed compartment, somewhat similar to your OP then that's all good.

general idea is that sucking in warm air from the engine bay is less than ideal. if you got a closed box with the filter inside it, directly hooked up with the air duct, it won't neccesarily give you any power gains, but it'll make the engine bay a lot less cluttered, and you can wash the filter yourself.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.