[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>He fell for the "5 minutes idle in winter" meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 19

>He fell for the "5 minutes idle in winter" meme
>>
>>16400480
Its not wasting fuel but it increases the time it takes for your engine to reach operating temperature. it keeps your engine colder for longer, which is when most wear occurs.
most engines only need 10-15 seconds to circulate oil, then they're safe to drive. beyond that and you're just wearing out your engine.
>>
>>16400480
What kind of shit cunt lefty cuck country makes running an engine at idle illegal?
Jesus wept
>>
>>16400488 (heil)
This, as soon as oil got everywhere you can put a small load on the engine.
>>
>>16400480
>Its not wasting fuel

If you're running your engine and achieving nothing beyond unnecessary wear on your engine, I'd say that's a waste of fuel.
>>
>>16400507
not him, it does, but is insegnificant.
>>
>>16400507
>Its not wasting fuel
> achieving nothing
Except I am achieving my goal. I'll walk out to a nice cozy warm cabin.
>>
>>16400507
its a negligible amount of fuel
so negligible you might as well not even think about it
>>
Clearly you've never gotten into a car when it's 0f out. Fuck that
>>
>>16400480

Thank you instragram-filtered infopic. I'm gonna upload this straight to my subreddit.
>>
b-but my windows are completely frozen from the inside
>>
the amount of fuel used while idling is pretty insignificant
>>
File: sadguy.jpg (26KB, 300x399px) Image search: [Google]
sadguy.jpg
26KB, 300x399px
>>16400480

>usually let car warm up for 10-15 mins while i prepare to go to work/school
>see this don't warm up your car meme
>-35C one morning
>decide to just drive off instead of warming the car up like usual
>turns out the coolant was completely frozen in my car
>had to scrap my beloved Camry wagon because the block cracked
>all this could have been avoided if I'd let the damn thing warm up

:( don't fall for the meme.
>>
File: caliwinter.png (10KB, 468x372px) Image search: [Google]
caliwinter.png
10KB, 468x372px
>dec
>3.6c

Nice """winter"""
>>
>>16400562
>implying your water pump wouldn't shatter the instant you turned the key if the coolant was completely frozen
>implying cracked blocks are caused by driving with frozen coolant and not by the fact that water expands when it freezes
>implying your block doesn't have freeze plugs to prevent this very thing from occurring
>>
>>16400480
What country bans idling?
>>
>>16400607
Not everyone lives in Sacramento, California, shitdick.
>>
Most folks around my parts do it so that it'll reach operating temperature quicker, and to defrost their windshields
>>
>>16400607
>Living in Sacramento
That place is a shithole
>>
>>16400607
>commiefornia
Yeah, not everyone lives in a desert where everything causes cancer. I'll keep warming my cabin up in my non emissions cucked vehicle
>>
>>16400562
Dude. If it gets that cold you should be checking on your coolant more frequently to make sure it doesn't freeze. This is not about driving it off cold. This is about you having an improprt ratio of coolant to water and living on an iceberg. Also its probably fake.

Also try driving a cold carburetor car. I didnt think so. There is a reason the warm up idle thing exists.
>>
>go to car
>covered in ice and snow
>fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck.gif
>start car
>clear off snow and ice
>get back in car and it's warm

There's nothing wrong with that

>B-but excessive wear to my engine

90% of /o/ is poor. You aren't going to hurt your little shitbox for letting it warm up.
>>
>>16400701
My grandmother was just visiting for Christmas (NYS) and I went outside to warm up my truck before I picked up my father. She told me that in Maryland and D.C. it was illegal to leave your car idling unattended and the cops would walk up your driveway and write you a ticket for it. She said it was because of people stealing cars in the winter when people did this but they slapped some environmental regulation reasoning into the law when they implemented it.

It sucks but I'm not going to drive in a 17 year old cold taco because Jamal decided he needed $200 bucks. Besides, I have the best anti theft there is, 5 speed.
>>
>>16400507
A big 6L V8 at idle uses 0.09L of fuel in the 3 minutes you should be using.

>engine wear
Use the correct synthetic and this isn't a problem.
The REAL thing people should be worried about is manual transmission gear oil temp and diff oil temp, neither of which really heat up when idling.
>>
>>16400834
That's why I always do burnouts when leaving for work in the morning. Get the tranny, diff, and tires warmed up
>>
>>16400545
I've gotten in when it's -22f.
Waiting 10 seconds and then driving off and keeping rpm low makes the cabin warm up faster.
>>
>>16400716
>>16400746

The author of OPs pic clearly lives there, and the temps explains why they have retarded ideas about winter.
>>
>>16400488
>Idling an engine keeps it cold
>Idling an engine wears it out

What are you smoking? Please tell me because I want to avoid it since it made you this stupid.
>>
>>16400954

He's saying that it takes much longer for the engine to reach operating temperature by just idling than it does by light driving, and because most wear occurs when the engine is outside of operating temperature, it makes no sense to prolong the time it takes to warm the engine.

Fuel injection engines don't need time to warm up, even in sub-zero temperatures. Give it a minute tops for oil to get around the engine and you're good to go.
>>
>>16400480
>(it might be illegal)
they had me until i read this.
holy shit i dont give a fuck if its illegal, i have never done it in my life (because its useless) and now i WILL do it. FUCK YOU
>>
I let my car warm up 10 minutes tops, the car does warm up at idle, this is the reason high idle exists.

If I need to go full throttle id rather my car be warm than cold.

Stop posting this shit to cause arguments you twats.
>>
then why does it idle higher in neutral and park then in drive?
>>
File: IMG_20161230_104514.jpg (322KB, 1749x2333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161230_104514.jpg
322KB, 1749x2333px
>After the engine runs for about 10 seconds, you are ready to drive.
>If the weather is below freezing, let it warm up for a few minutes before driving.
/thread
>>
>>16400954
see
>>16401123
idiot
>>
>>16400611

had the freeze plugs pop in my dodge, and the block still cracked
>>
>>16401368

Freeze plugs aren't actually meant to protect the engine if it freezes though. They're just there for shit to fall out during the manufacturing process.
>>
>>16401377
see
>>16400611
line 3 where he specifically states 'to prevent this very thing from occurring'
>>
>>16401358
see
>>16401330
specifically the pic.
Owner's manual, you idiot.
>>
>>16400607
>Celsius
>Sacramento

Everything about your post is just wrong
>>
>>16401409
Ok nice meme but seriously freeze plugs are part of the casting process and aren't actually supposed to do that.
>>
i have a diesel truck, these liberal cunts can fuck off, i'm going to idle it for at least 2 min even when it isn't cold
>>
>>16400480
I like to drive away as soon as possible.It's a game for me, see how fast you can start driving away- you win if you can make the dry cold pistons crackle and slap really loudly or else if oil gets to the cylinder walls before you drive away, then you lose the game.
>>
>drive 25 year old car
>shakes and sputters when first starting in the cold
I guess I was just wrong.
>>
>>16401568
Same here, i cant always plug in to the lightpole at work when someone ganks my spot. Ill remotebstart that bitch ten minutes early sometimes when its below zero out
>>
>>16401639
>plug in to the lightpole at work
Hahahaha that's aweseom
>>
>>16401529
>falling for the fahrenheit-meme

May God have mercy on your poor soul.
>>
File: giphy.gif (1MB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
1MB, 480x287px
>>16400555
>>16400538
>>
>>16401672
>using commie units
>>
We warmed up our race engines for 5 minutes minimum.
Reminder to not pay attention to auto "journalists".
>>
>not using torque pro to tell when your oil is at operating temp
wew

>>16400834
this, honestly
>unless you have a fwd autotragic with a radiator ATF cooler
>then idling will heat up your trans and diff.
>>
>>16401699
>>16402292
>>16402325
>>16402372
are you dump or simple a retard?
>>
>>16401237
because it's connected to rear wheels and trying to move forward.
you should switch to neutral anyway when waiting at stoplights and such
>>
File: WEWLADS.jpg (43KB, 605x324px) Image search: [Google]
WEWLADS.jpg
43KB, 605x324px
>>16401237
Because the car is warming up, this is a troll thread

>>16402390
>I like putting stress on unexpanded metal components

>>16402399
>I have no idea what a torque converter is
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (104KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
104KB, 1920x1080px
>>16400480
Its a conspiracy to wear out our cars sooner so we buy more cars
>>
File: 1397179636289.jpg (92KB, 400x523px) Image search: [Google]
1397179636289.jpg
92KB, 400x523px
>>16403028
It's the Jews
>>
>>16400480
>and might even be illegal
australia here we idle in the carparks with the a/c on it 50 degree+ weather all the time

i can imagine we all do it in the rare occurance its like -0 temps as well

fucking cucked ad
>>
>>16400480
Engine has to be running for the heated windscreens to work and melt the ice. Just need to run it while I scrape enough ice off the side windows to see out, then attack the half-melted ice with wipers.
>>
>>16400562
>>-35C one morning
if you live in a place where temperatures go that low frequently then why didn't you get a block heater
>>
Does this apply to all cars? My dad is an old fuck who is adamant on warming them up and letting them idle for 5-10 minutes. But all his life he only drove carburetor engines.
>>
File: PhaseDiagram-ppt131_s.jpg (58KB, 600x441px) Image search: [Google]
PhaseDiagram-ppt131_s.jpg
58KB, 600x441px
I warm up my engine all year 'round.

Take thermodynamics, take engineering materials, and work in the automotive manufacturing/testing industry for a few years... you'll understand.
>>
How the else is going to heat up?

Do they think that cabin is instantly brought up heat after it's been sitting in the cold?
>>
only reason to warmup for that long is if the choke or iac is busted and keeps wanting to die when cold
>>
>>16400906
No it fucking doesn't.

It only feels that way to you becuase your fucking skin has lost sensation becuase its cold as fuck.
>>
>>16400480
I'm not idling the thing for the sake of the engine so much as the sake of the defroster.
>>
>>16403028
I know you're being sarcastic, but for those who may think along the same lines:

CHANGE YOUR OIL ROUTINELY

....and not at 10K-15K+ mile intervals; change it at 3Kmi and it should be fine. No more than 7Kmi.
>>
>>16400480
honestly who gives a fuck? why is everyone making such a big deal (it may even be illegal)

tf is wrong with you - you all sound gay as fuck and i'm gayer than fuck
>>
I have a 2004 Mazda6 diesel, with Webasto parking heater, but without timer or remote controller. So if I start the engine below about 5°C=41F then it starts with a turbine sound and it warms up the engine pretty quick, faster than a petrol engine. So I just walk out, start the engine, and go back to the kitchen for a coffee. In less than 10 minutes all the ice even from side windows melted and it's warm inside the car. Of course the yard is closed, I don't park on the driveway with running engine. If I don't have time for that, the engine is warm when I reach the town border sign. Well actually if you want operational temperature for the entire engine, fluids, block, etc, than it needs at least 15 minutes driving.
If it's not that cold I only idle for about 1 minute while rev drops from 1000 high rev to normal 780.
>>
I left my car idling for an hour and a half sucking back a grand total of 2 liters of fuel while shoveling snow a few weeks ago and it fixed a ticking from the engine and the drivers side heat came back.

>not going WOT immediately after a cold start to get heat to defog windows as soon as possible
>>
>causes wear to your engine
Tell that to the thousands of crown Victoria's with thousands of idle hours still on their original engines.
>>
>>16403427
Your engine will heat up much faster under a light load than under zero load. A bit more wear for much less time is better than a bit less wear over a much longer time.
>>
>>16401142
It warms up at idle but there's zero value to letting it idle with modern fuel injection. Just drive the fucking thing and don't exceed 50% throttle while the car is warming up. If you don't drive the car you will be leaving the differential and transmission fluid cold which means that if you go full throttle the car will be subject to higher wear regardless.

>>16402446
It is commonly known that for modern EFI engines that in normal conditions above freezing that you can start driving basically immediately after the engine turns over but you should never drive aggressively until the engine is up to temperature.

For extremely low temperatures yeah sure go ahead and wait 1 minute to let the oil circulate first but sitting around for 5-10 minutes doing nothing is a waste of time and does nothing.
>>
>>16400488

>running your tranny with cold fluid

that's even worse.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKALgXDwou4

Thread video. The dude has a mechanical engineering degree at the very least so he isn't a total retard.
>>
>>16400611
>>16401409
Freeze plugs aren't freeze plugs they're core plugs and they only exist to plug the holes that let out the sand inside the coolant cavity after casting
>>
>>16404563
>no more than 7000 mi
T. Not a chemical engineer
>>
>>16405556
If all you use is full synthetic and drive highway miles you might get away with 7000 miles between changes if you drive daily.

The only way to be sure is running oil analysis.
>>
File: CPN07pgVEAAdKgj.jpg (48KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
CPN07pgVEAAdKgj.jpg
48KB, 600x338px
>>16405345

>Benchineering Explained
>Watching his shitty videos
>Taking his shitty advice
>Faggot literally googles a subject then makes a video about it

Literally worse than RegularFur"""reviews""" who skims over the wikipedia pages of the cars he reviews, then reads what his boyfriend wrote about it into a microphone for 10 minutes.
>>
>94 Integra
>idle 2-3min before drive
have I been doing this wrong?
>>
>>16405605
I don't see you posting any links to SAE papers. Your criticism is literally that he researches the subject before talking about it.

>>16405614
Idle 1 minute maximum. Unless it is especially cold outside you shouldn't be idling for more than a few seconds.
>>
>>16400607
>3.6 C
Winters barely dip below 50 F in SF.
>>
>>16400480
I wait till the needle starts to move and then drive off. I take it easy until the needle has come to a stop at proper operating temperature.
>>
>>16401330
>driving fuel-injected cars

>>16405634
I wait until the windshield is defrosted, which normally takes longer than 10 seconds when it's below freezing
>>
>>16405640
>muh carb
Look a fudd.
>>
>>16400497
This.

I understand that it's a bad practice, like running the water while brushing your teeth, or watering your plants during the night, but who the FUCK would make it illegal? What is this? Communist Russia? If it's illegal in America, I'm going to go blow up a car.
>>
>all these idiots wasting fuel and prematurely wearing their engine
Get in, turn the car on, and go. Drive gently until your water and oil is up to operating temperature. If it's not a carbureted engine, you don't need to let it warm up. Simple as that.
>>
>>16402390
Glass people living in retard houses should not cast stones.
>>
>>16400497
Pretty sure its a law in NY and NJ right now
i doubt its enforced though
>>
>>16400497
In germany it is against the law to drive around without a purpose. So the classic "Sunday-drive" would be illegal.

But never heard that somebody actually got fined for that tbqh
>>
>>16405647
>Look a fudd.
Look, a /k/.
>>
>>16406338

I once had a fuel injected 2004 Cavalier that would shut off when it was cold until it was warmed up. It would idle fine, high but it would run. If you were going through town and took it out of gear to go around a corner or something and didn't put it in gear before it got below idle, it would shut right off. Had to stay on the gas at stoplights/signs to keep it running if you absolutely had to stop. Luckily it roll started like a champ, so as long as you still had some momentum you could start it up again without too much hassle.

Turned out the timing was a couple degrees off, which is why it would do that. But, it provides a useful example of why

>If it's not a carbureted engine, you don't need to let it warm up.

is wrong.
>>
>>16406421
quote me that law pls
>>
This thread is retarded because nobody thinks about idling their car for the engine. People start their car beforehand in the winter so the windows are fucking defrosted and you don't have to drive around in an icebox for 5 minutes
>>
Car runs worse when it's super cold. From brakes to shifting. Don't care about what some fags on the internet say.
>>
>>16406471
Ive been doing this here in northern wisconsin and my last tank of gas was 60 miles below average the usually miles per tank..
>>
>>16406488

Mine goes from 35-36 average MPG to 33-34 average MPG when I let it idle for 10-15 minutes every morning, as compared to just starting it up and driving in the summer.

I drive close to 300 miles/week, so it ends up being a difference of ~$3/week, when comparing best MPG to worst MPG.
>>
Have you ever tried shifting a cold manual tranny at -30c ?

Good luck if you don't idle for at least 30 seconds beforehand.
>>
>>16403427

What are you trying to say here? And why did you post a phase diagram for stainless steel at 850 C? This post doesn't make much sense.

Signed,

Materials Engineer
>>
>>16406421
I think we have something like that here in Finland, I'm pretty sure it's just so cops can harass shitskins for driving around at night blasting reggaeton and disturbing decent folk
>>
>>16406570
>Materials Engineer
Is graphene the best new material or is it just a meme
>>
>>16406587

It could be great, but production needs to become economical.

All these new wonder materials are really spiffy, but if they cost more than their weight in gold to produce or if they can only be produced in microscopic quantities in labs, then they don't do us much good.
>>
>>16406421
>>16406464
In German it's called "Unnützes Hin- und Herfahren", unnecessary driving around
Link in krautspeak for those interested : https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unn%C3%BCtzes_Hin-_und_Herfahren

Mind you, it's only against the law if you drive up and down a specific road in a city or village and are annoying other people by doing so

Like some anon said, it's mostly to keep sandniggers from driving up and down main road blasting shitty rai I guess
>>
File: stevemcqueen.jpg (41KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
stevemcqueen.jpg
41KB, 590x350px
>>16406421
>In germany it is against the law to drive around without a purpose
Fucking Krauts

>be out for a drive
>WEEOOWEEOO
>Hallo Offizier, vat is das Problem?
>Vhere are you going?
>Ach...
>INTO DEM KOOLAH MIT YOU
>>
>>16406587

Properties are great, but what does it really do for most applications that can't be done almost as well by something much cheaper?

There's a reason we still use sand casting for engine blocks. The technology has been around in one form or another for thousands of years. But it still works well enough that any other method does not give enough benefit to justify a change.

Signed,

Materials Engineer
>>
>>16406623

Fucking love that movie. The motorcycle chase scene at the end is really nice.
>>
>>16406617
fucking
germany
>MOT equvilent sends you to 50 years in the work camp for having non OEM washers
>driving around for fun is illegal

what next
>>
>>16406421

>In germany it is against the law to drive around without a purpose

sometimes I think "germany cant possibly be more cucked" and then I learn more about germany
>>
>>16406637
Be careful, as I said the law doesn't keep you from driving for fun, it just keeps you from annoying others in doing so by banning repeatedly driving up and down the same street

I agree it's a shit law, it's way too specific and I guess most people and cops don't know it. I guess you would just be warned or in the worst case taken to the police station for "disturbing civil order" or something.
>>
>>16406454
>But, it provides a useful example of why
>is wrong.

No, it provides a useful example of why you shouldn't buy a piece of shit cavalier with the timing set wrong.
>>
>>16406641
>>16406623
>>16406637
Fucking dumbasses.
>>
>>16406454
Hey, my 2003 Cavilier does the exact same shit but I could never figure it out. When starting in the cold its idle is higher than usual and it shuts off sometines when I'm coming to a stop in neutral (regardless of tenperature).
>>
File: 1330000149220.jpg (55KB, 358x469px) Image search: [Google]
1330000149220.jpg
55KB, 358x469px
>>16406679
Hast du ein Problem, Hans?
>>
>>16406696
With you being a literal retard? No. Also, I'm not (entirely) German.
>>
>>16406671

>it provides a useful example of why you shouldn't buy a cavalier with the timing set wrong.

That too. It's a multi-purpose example, isn't it great? Still though, the car was fuel injected, but had to be warmed up to run properly. Because of that, the statement

is quite apparently wrong in this case, and very possibly several other cases as well.
>>
File: GabeN.jpg (63KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
GabeN.jpg
63KB, 1280x720px
>>16406702
>With you being a literal retard? No. Also, I'm not (entirely) German.
Part Turk, eh?
>>
>>16406617
>Ordnungswidrigkeit
lol who cares
>>
>>16406708
99% Polish. Do you browse /pol/ by any chance?
>>
>>16406735
Nah I haven't browsed /pol/ since it got bloated with normalfags playing Nazi in 2013. 2012 was /pol/'s last fun year with the Romney/Obama election.
I'm just rustling your jimmies, anon. I'm in that kind of mood.
>>
>>16406688

Could very possibly be that the timing is off on yours as well. Mine would drop really low once you took it out of gear, like idle would drop to 300-400 RPM before coming back up to normal. Only figured out what my issue was when the timing chain guides shit the bed and the shop doing the replacement found the timing off by a bit.
>>
>live in upstate NY
>idling for longer than 60 seconds is illegal if you're not at a stop light
>10 degrees F
>turn key
>crank for 15 seconds straight because my fuel return line leaks so I lose fuel pressure every time the car is turned off and it has to build again
>pray I've got enough amps in my battery to crank that long
>stumbles to life
>instantly put it in reverse, mash the throttle, and do a J-turn in my driveway so I don't have to back out into the main road
>drive WOT in 2nd gear so my engine warms up faster and gives me heat because I can't feel my fingers and the windshield is fogging up from my breath
>heat starts working about halfway to work
>rip hektik skidz into the parking lot that never gets plowed and do an e-brake slide into my parking space
>office doors haven't unlocked yet, but I shut off the engine immediately so I don't break the law by idling
>cop sitting across the street gives me a satisfied nod and pulls away when he sees my exhaust cloud disappear
>sit there freezing for five minutes
>I'll have to time the process better tomorrow so I arrive exactly when the automatic locks open and I can go inside
>>
>>16406753
Weird, you sound exactly like a Trumple /pol/tard.
>>
File: iggy pink.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
iggy pink.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
Warms-up-car-even-when-it's-not-freezing-outside-master-race here.

Why do you guys like engine wear so much? Why not give your car a few minutes to get at least halfway up to temp?

And for the record I drive a 1 liter but I'd do the same with a V8 if I owned such a thing.
>>
>>16406789
That's the point. I used to browse /int/ up until 2014 when it became /general/ as well.
>>
>>16406789
wow what if there were people who agree with /pol/ because those beliefs are the correct way to live your life and not the ramblings of madmen like the liberal media has led you to believe?
>>
>>16406774
That's EXACTLY what happens when I come to a stop about half the time. It'll dip to about 500RPM, and typically it will go back to idle, but sometimes I'll have to tap the throttle to keep it from getting too low and stalling out on me.
>>
>>16406634
>There's a reason we still use sand casting for engine blocks. The technology has been around in one form or another for thousands of years.
>thousands of years
I never saw the Flintstones using engines.
>>
>>16406797
V8's heat up pretty quick. Like getting to the first intersection and the temp already being halfway quick
>>
>>16406837
sand casting has been around thousands of years you stupid cunt
>>
>>16400507
So you turn off the engine when stopped in red lights?
>>
>>16406421
We went to war to free you guys, why is Germany still such a fascist shithole?
>>
>>16406850
>what is a start-stop system
>>
>>16406856
Many parts of the US have similar anti-cruising laws.
>>
>>16406866
Shutup, Himmler
>>
>>16406797

Because the majority of engine wear occurs when your engine is cold. By starting, giving the engine 30 seconds to circulate oil and then driving like a grandma until you're up to temp, the engine warms up faster and wears less than if you leave it running for 5-10 minutes.
>>
>>16406846
oh yeah niggar
sand was used to cast what material? in what period?
Im being nice with you because you said the technology of casting engine blocks with sand is dated from thousand of years ago
>>
>>16400497
It's called "puffing" laws. I think the main reason would be people were turning on cars, leaving them unlocked, and running back in the house. Was too easy to steal.
>>
>>16406880
>Not using jet fuel
>>
>>16405630
That's okay, summers barely jump about 55f in SF.
>>
>>16406857
>This feature is present in hybrid electric vehicles.[3]
GJ on being a cuck for ecological fags
>>
File: 568735160.jpg (50KB, 606x339px) Image search: [Google]
568735160.jpg
50KB, 606x339px
>>16406893

Oh Jesus

Yes, you got me. We've only been casting engine blocks for a short while. However, the technology used, sand casting, has existed for thousands of years. Bronze age cultures utilized sand casting widely.

Engine blocks are more complex and we've refined the process, but it is essentially the same methods used by our ancient ancestors.
>>
>>16406880

>and wears less than if you leave it running for 5-10 minutes.

I never understood how that worked.

Like, putting a cold engine under load dumps shitloads of fuel into bores with cold rings, dumping 10x as much fuel into the oil as if you just let it idle. Consumption skyrockets because the O2 sensors haven't come to life, so the engine is dumping enough fuel in to get a 11:1 AFR just to make sure the thing still runs and moves. Oil pressure goes through the roof, as the oil is cold and doesn't like to move, and raising the RPM just spins the mechanical oil pump faster, which leads to sky-high oil pressures and cavitation in the pump.

And somehow all this is better than just letting the thing idle for 10 minutes, with the absolute minimum of fuel being injected until the rings expand, while keeping oil pressures at safe and sane levels?

Like, really?
>>
>>16406421
Isn't this the equivalent of the old "no cruising" laws here in burgerland?
>>
>>16406421
Its only in urban areas and only if you constantly drive up and down one street to annoy the people there (loud music, loud car, etc).
>>
>>16406880
>>16406844
And my 1 liter heats up pretty damn quick if I get on it. Or somewhat slower if I too drive like a granny.

What I'm suggesting is that there isn't so much of a 'time to wear ratio' in which the quicker your engine gets up to temp the better but an 'engine work to wear ratio' in which the amount of work that your engine does before it gets up to temp causes more wear.

>>16406970
Exactly this.
>>
>>16406893
fucking kill yourself you cherrypicking shithead, either you know damn well what he meant and you're just being a fuck, or you're so fucking stupid you DIDN'T know sand casting has been around as long as it has, because you were (are?) a failure in school.
>>
>>16406970
That's why you short shift and don't go WOT until it gets up to temp
>>
>>16407013
>>16406970
Oil pressure won't be sky high and modern heated O2 sensors reach operating temperature within 30 seconds of engine start. Do you guys even think about the bullshit you say before you say it? You aren't going WOT or high RPM while the car is cold.

Idle isn't even enough to get unheated O2 up to operating temperatures. If you read basic shop manuals they will say this: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-test-oxygen-sensor-mandy-concepcion

Wait 1 minute max for oil to circulate or however long it takes to scrape ice off of windows. Idling beyond that is a meme.
>>
>>16406778
radical
>>
>>16407139

>That's why you short shift and don't go WOT until it gets up to temp

Still under load, still pissing buckets of gas into cold cylinders, still diluting the oil with gas far, far more than you would be just letting it idle.

>>16407165

>Oil pressure won't be sky high

How do you figure? I've seen 60+ lbs at idle in a V6 work van, and I've seen it peg the needle under cold engine load. That's in 20-something degree weather, never mind below zero. Does this not qualify as "sky high"?

>modern heated O2 sensors

Not universally equipped on all cars.

>Idle isn't even enough to get unheated O2 up to operating temperatures.

It is if the car is relatively modern, and has the catalytic converter crammed up to the exhaust manifold. Hence why quite a lot of cars forego the heated O2 sensor.

>Wait 1 minute max for oil to circulate or however long it takes to scrape ice off of windows.

The oil will still be at outside temp, and roughly as free flowing as molasses at room temperature, even using the latest and greatest 0w20 full synthetic oils. At best, you'll kick open the overpressure valve in the filter, if you bought a decent filter, and start pumping unfiltered oil through your engine, assuming the pump isn't cavitating from trying to pump what is essentially mud at that point. At worst, you'll start popping seals.

Try visiting somewhere that actually gets cold, like double digits below zero. Fire your car right up and head on out just as quick as you like, and tell me again that it's perfectly fine for it.
>>
>>16400810
>I'm such a manual transmission elitist that I think that it suffices as an anti-theft device because there's no way some filthy pleb could ever comprehend 3 pedals
>>
>>16407273

> ITT backwards knuckle heads

Guess what muppet, I actually live in a place where at this time of year we easily get -15 and some days even dipping into the -20's.

I own a Golf Tdi, excluding having to wait a bit more for the glow plugs to works it's magic, the car fires up and at most after a minute, rpms settle to the usual idle and I'm ready to go on about my life.

The car is 8 years old. Excluding the battery changes for the cold weather I haven't had a single problem with it cold related.

So piss off with your neanderthal mentality.
>>
>>16407355
>Measuring in Celsius
-20f is enough to stop a diesel from starting.
>>
>>16407355

>I actually live in a place where at this time of year we easily get -15 and some days even dipping into the -20's.

That's cute darling, that's about what we have for a high temp here without the wind chill.

I own a Chevy Cavalier, excluding having to wait a bit more for for it to warm up, it's magic, the car fires up and at most after 15 minutes, I'm ready to go on about my life.

The car is 12 years old. I haven't had a single problem with it cold related, and I've let it warm up for 15 minutes every day it was below freezing.

So piss off with your neanderthal mentality.

See? I can be anecdotal too!
>>
>>16407401

If you happen top think that having to wait 15 minutes before being able to drive anywhere is funny, yeah you can be anecdotal. Hell, you can even be the joke, like you'r being.
>>
>>16407385

lol no

You're aware the rest of the world developed and there are more diesel cars than 40y old rust buckets.

>i'm expecting too much from american education
>>
>>16406893
Kekkk
>>
>>16407273
The gas in the oil is going to burn off as soon as you get up to temperature. Get the car up to operating temperatures and this is irrelevant.

Even when the oil is at outside temp if you have the correct oil for your ambient temperature as specified by the OEM the engine is designed to handle the higher oil pressure without excess wear.

Have you ever seen some of these prototypes? OEMs beat the shit out of their prototypes as far as driving goes because they know your average suburban mother is going to get in the car and floor it as soon as the car starts because the car is an appliance to be used and abused. They do this for all conditions and accelerate wear to simulate long term effects.

Just waiting long enough for the engine to circulate oil and driving with low load and low RPM is more than enough to ensure that the oil will continue to protect the engine sufficiently before it gets up to temperature. Oil pumps and filters are going to be designed to handle the load of low temperature use.
>>
>>16400497
It's because it makes it easier to steal your car.
>>
>>16400834

I lit a candle under the diff and tranny.
>>
>>16400562
The block was already cracked when you got in the car.
>>
>>16407416
>dieselcuck
Lmao
>>
File: maplesnow.jpg (5KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
maplesnow.jpg
5KB, 259x194px
>>16406960
Up here in canada, we use snow and cast maple syrup like our ancestors. Shits fucking delicious.
>>
>>16406856
all the freedom loving germans went to israel and the US
>>
>>16407450
Unless you run OEM interval*2 oil changes with conventional because you didn't fall for "the oil change jew"

In which case you have sludge oil that does not flow when cold
>>
>>16407325
In america most theives turn away if the car has a third petal.
>>
>>16403452
Yes, it actually does. I can let my car idle for 15 minutes and it will be at about 105oF, or I can drive it for 90 seconds it it will be at 130oF
>>
>>16407498
>double the oil change interval of already super long intervals that OEMs set (15k for an F80 M3)
>using conventional ever

There's your problem. Stop being a cheap fuck and change your oil and use full synthetic.
>>
>>16400480
Fucking retarded, most engine wear comes from driving and reving the engine above idle when the engine is cold.

Enjoy treating your car like shit to save a few drops of gasoline.
>>
>>16406904
lel
this guy gets it
>>
>>16407666
revving the engine above idle when it is cold is a good thing as it helps heat it up quicker
there's a proper way to do it ofc
>>
>>16407666
engine takes 20 minutes to warm up when idling
Only takes around 2 to warm up under 3k rpm.
Which is better? Engine rotating for 20 minutes without good oil flow or around a minute or so with cold oil.

This would be a very autistic discussion if it didn't mean that idiots who idle wasted 20 miutes from their life when they could just sit in and go places.
>>
>>16407701
>>16407716
So why the fuck not start the car up immediately and drive around.

Higher rpm from applying gas from an idle or driving wears the engine down.
>>
>>16407764
>So why the fuck not start the car up immediately and drive around.
All you need to do is build up oil pressure then you can drive around.
>Higher rpm from applying gas from an idle or driving wears the engine down.
No it does not, and the reasoning has been explained several times.
This doesn't mean bouncing a cold engine off the rev limiter is a good idea.
>>
>>16400480
a modern car dumps fuel until the engine is up to operating temperature, once it reaches that temp, the computer will trim back the amount of fuel and all the fuel emissions/efficiency shit goes into effect. you waste less fuel letting it idle and warm up than if you just started it up and drove off.

i won't even touch the subject of oil in cold weather.
>>
File: 1459341783330.jpg (270KB, 542x1099px) Image search: [Google]
1459341783330.jpg
270KB, 542x1099px
>>16406856

You went to war to do the kikes bidding, not to free Germany. Get that straight.
>>
>>16400611
My pump froze once, the car turned on with the belt squealing around the stuck pump pulley. Got lucky really.
>>
File: 4464484564968.png (187KB, 565x403px) Image search: [Google]
4464484564968.png
187KB, 565x403px
>>16400611
>little i4 ranger
>start it
>engine is struggling a little
>open hood
>its frozen fuckin solid and the belt is just sliding around the pump pulley
I had no way to warm it up so I had to just take the hoses off and let it sit there until the next week when it warmed up.
No damage
>>
>>16407823
You realize that this happens regardless of whether you're driving or idling? Look up even the most basic ECU and they will have idle warm up enrichment values. The table for enrichment is a function of coolant temperature in most cases. The target RPM will also be higher no matter what you do.

You don't save fuel by idling.

I feel like no one here has even tried to look at how engine management works because if they did we wouldn't be having these dumb questions.
>>
>>16400480
>if you like stepping into a warm car as you run your daily errands where the car is probably only parked between 3-4 minutes.

STOP. DURR! IT CUD BE ILLEGAL AGAINST THE LAW
>>
Warms up the car quicker m8
>>
I put her in D and set the e-brake so the tranny gets a bit of heat into it.
>>
Nigguh
I remote start my car so that it's decently warm inside and the leather doesn't freeze my booty
>>
>>16400480
If it's below freezing you should definitely want it up for least a few minutes

But anything more than 5 minutes is definitely too long
>>
File: 1450519417229.jpg (54KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1450519417229.jpg
54KB, 500x667px
>>16410429
>D
>>
>>16400562
Wait...so your antifreeze froze?
Thread posts: 184
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.