[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some basic upgrades that make a huge difference and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: BlownMount.jpg (53KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
BlownMount.jpg
53KB, 640x480px
What are some basic upgrades that make a huge difference and are very under appreciated? I'll start with upgraded motor and transmission mounts.
>>
>>16392747

Don't see how unless yours are blown. Anyway:

1. Replacing and bleeding your fucking brake fluid.
2. Tightening up your throttle cable - only relevant to old shitboxes.

Basically, everything comes down to keeping your car in good shape, and only after do "mods" become a factor.
>>
>>16392772
they remove slop. factory mounts usually balance stiffness with ride comfort. a car with solid mounts will have almost no power loss via the engine twisting on acceleration but will rattle you to death
>>
>>16392780

It's not the rattle-you-to-death that's the concern - it's the fact that shit will wear down faster.

Anyway, good mounts also make shifting smoother.
>>
>>16392772
but im so used to my loose ass throttle cable
>>
>>16392747
Most important, biggest difference making upgrades in order:
1. Tires
2. Brakes
3. Wheels
4. Suspension

If you pay very close attention, you'll see a theme here...
>>
>>16393700
0. supercharger
0.5. turbocharger
>>
>>16393751
t. pleb

This is the uneducated opinion. Do as much airwork as you want, but if actual driving performance is what you're after, all tires, brakes, wheels, and suspension should all be done before throwing a blower on.
If all you want is dyno performance, by all means go ahead.
>>
>>16393700
>wheels
"guise I can totally feel the difference if my wheels are 1 lb lighter each, absolutely worth several hundred bucks"
>>
>>16393839
Assuming it's a 130hp shitbox, a blower might actually be a priority. Definitely a priority higher than wheels and brakes, which really don't matter that much outside the track. They take of tenths of seconds.
>>
>>16393839
before you worry about how well your car can handle high entry and cornering speeds, make sure it can achieve those speeds in the first place
>>
>>16393855
You can't? I always thought wheel weight was extremely important because it's essentially inertia that scales with angular velocity, whereas the rest of the car provides forward momentum at least
>>
>>16393855
You can easily feel lighter wheels. Its a great performance upgrade.
>>
>>16393700
Change driveshaft before engine, got it
>>
>>16393855
sprung vs unsprung mass, makes a bigger difference than "lol1lb" especially when it's on rotating mass like wheels where you have forces being vectored in other directions.
also assuming standard shit wheels as a starting point, you can save considerably more weight than a couple of pounds.

>>16393871
fair enough, but I was assuming it's already a somewhat respectable car trying to get better, not a total shitbox trying to be drivable.
Brakes aren't on my list due to weight reduction, they're there because of the added control you get from being able to stop from higher speeds with shorter distances and more effectively shift the pitch and weight of the car. This gives you more control over the balance of the car and which tires are able to grip better.
Disagree on it being a track only application, especially the brakes. That said, I probably should have power gapped after #2, and arguably dropped wheels to #4 (my justification for the order was how much a full suspension setup like spool valve or magnetic costs vs. the cost/simplicity of wheels).

>>16393897
See above.

>>16393913
ding! ding!

>>16393931
t-thanks... y-you too.

Also, I should have probably ranked a strut tower brace pretty high just based on how cheap and easy to install they are.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.