[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/o/ lecture me on an SVT focus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

I always thought these were cool, and I'm looking to a reliable shitbox. This popped up on Craigslist. Seems pretty mint. Clutch, tires, etc have all been fixed. What should I be aware of while taking a look at it? I'd rather not pay a mechanic to come out. I know jack shit about fixing cars. Been googling but I wanna know what you guys think.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/5925801753.html

this is the car
>>
Should i get a miata with 800,000 miles
>>
>>16381691
Pros - Handling that'll make integra owners jealous
More power/better gearing than most hondas stock for stock
Decent amount of space
Decent MPG

Cons -
Parts are RARE
Parts get EXPENSIVE (not german luxury expensive, but some SVT-specific bits will have you wondering if you bought a shitbox or an entry level sports car)
If you fuck your wheels you will probably never find replacements.

So not too bad, pros are really good.
Tl;Dr
Get it if you want a Honda experience without a Honda badge and Honda parts
>>
>>16381717
Interesting

What should I look for maintenance wise? I love these things
>>
>>16381691
>http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/5925801753.html
i would lower the price but that is pretty decent milage i would just check for leaks and basic rust and frame issues... this mexican i knew had one and it was A. beat to shit and B. salvaged. he is still driving it to this day most parts are not actually rare just a few drivetrains components but otherwise it is just a stinky focus
>>
>>16382005
I'm mostly worried about it being beat to shit, what do you think I should offer? I'm gonna ofc show up with cash
>>
>>16382047
every fuck on cuckslist is a jew so watch-out just go there test drive, take it to mechanic to get it checked [if you're dead serious] make sure you run a compression test. tell the guy you are serious and really have to think about it. call him few times but hang up [make it seem like the phone keeps cutting out] go back to him offer him 2700 he will take it as a lowball. go to his place case and hand and just tell him to take it. if he declines wait few days and repeat with 2800-2900 the guy will take it.
>>
File: 1420079678792.jpg (2MB, 2125x1197px) Image search: [Google]
1420079678792.jpg
2MB, 2125x1197px
Fun commuter cars; easy to modify, not so easy to work on so if you're worried about reliability just get a regular ZX3.

Mine did several 600+ mile trips a year and only fucked up once due to the alternator but the O2 sensor went out every year and I got tired of having to replace it.

The intake manifold runners are also notorious for getting stuck open, so your car feels especially gutless until ~3.5k-4k revs and the only way to permanently fix it is to buy an IACV which costs like $700 new. There's also the shitty, leaky thermostat housing that can cause your headgasket to go if you're not careful. Upgraded versions of the housing are out there so that issue isn't as big of a deal.

Finally, make fucking absolute sure the timing has been done if it's near or over 100k miles. The Cosworth tuned Zetec is an interference engine so if the timing goes you're looking at new valves and probably a new head as well.

Again, would not recommend this car if you can't turn a wrench or don't feel comfortable learning, this car taught me the meaning of "preventative maintenance" because I was under the hood almost every month. It's a fun car that responds well to handling mods otherwise but you'll need to take care of it.
>>
>>16382130
2002 SVT Focus owner here, can confirm. Mine just hit 72,000 miles today and I already need to worry about a few things. Another thing I should add that no one else has said is that these cars hate starting in the cold, so make sure you find one with the winter package and/or use 0W-20 oil
>>
>>16381691
thats pretty high milage and it hasnt had its timing belt done and will need a major service/rebuild sometime soon

a friend of mine had one had never ending issues
>>
>>16381717

Wheels are EVERYWHERE.
Parts are expensive.
Body parts are NONEXISTANT.
The stock seats suck donkey cunt unless they are the OE Recaro's.
>>
>>16382208
Why would you use 0w-20 when the manual states to use 02-30 because of the VCT gear?
>>
>>16381691
Super clean car with the CWP. Make sure you have the rear control arms checked at the swaybar mounts for cracking, because they do crack and break in half there. The seat heaters are probably the pads which you will never find in a million years. The seats are also in extremely good shape as the fabric used in the centers is very easily stained. If the suspension is shot the whole kit is like 280 bucks.
>>
I have a friend who had one. He bought it for $3000 at 160k miles. Within two days a transmission cable broke. Later on in the year his valves got stuck open. Got it fixed by mechanics that also blew his engine because they themselves didn't put the synchro on right. Had the engine rebuilt and not his alternator is fucked.
>>
>>16382130
Op here

I'm cool with learning to wrench, I've been wanting to learn for a while. My last car was a shitbox 90's automatic toyota, so I didn't have to worry about wrenching until the transmission killed itself. What kind of monthly upkeep did you need to do?

>>16382208
Thankfully I'm from DC, it rarely gets below 10 degrees Fahrenheit for longer than a day

>>16382288
This is reassuring I guess
>>
>>16382222
I'll talk to the owner about this. I'm well aware of timing belt problems.
>>
File: 03 - SVT - Focus.jpg (4MB, 3876x2584px) Image search: [Google]
03 - SVT - Focus.jpg
4MB, 3876x2584px
>Parts are hard to find
>Timing belt always needs to be done to be safe
>engine mounts
>Thermostat housing is known to crack
>easy to overheat if not taken care of
>Dual mass flywheel blows dicks

I personally love mine but it's been a ride for fixing shit. I mean be ready to spend time hunting for some parts unless you want to do certain conversions.

>>16381988
The usual, I would suggest new suspension, and mounts as your first purchases. Makes a world of difference. car-part.com will become your best fucking friend.

>>16382272
I like my factory seats, I've been tracking down some Recaro's though.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.