[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Studded winter tires

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

Ok so the last 2 sets of winter tires I have bough the salesman talked me out of studs stating "these will be way better than your old Hankooks"

my non studded tires ( Pirelli and Continental) have been no better than all seasons, while my old Hankook Zovac studded tires walked through ice and snow, no matter how much I mashed the gas around corners.

are Studs all the difference in winter?
>>
>>16380785
youre a stud senpai
>>
File: tumblr_lva9occpOx1qcisq2 (1).jpg (6KB, 233x103px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lva9occpOx1qcisq2 (1).jpg
6KB, 233x103px
>>16380791
>>
You fucked up by buying winter tires to begin with
>>
>>16380785
Studs are God-tier in winter with ice&snow. Kinda shit when on wet or dry asphalt.
>>
>>16380785
Studs are fucking great, but nothing beats chains. You got chains, op?
>>
File: winter-driving-road-sign.png (55KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
winter-driving-road-sign.png
55KB, 300x250px
>>16382240

Who the fuck uses chains in anything other than a avalanche? I think it's something like 6'' plus before they make you chain up here, and that's just the mountain highways. I don't think chains are even legal in the city here, don't know why you'd ever need them.
>>
>>16382257
Did you miss the part where I said studs are great? Just because you don't like kneeling in the snow for a minute doesn't change the fact that chains are God's gift to winter drivers.
>>
You're giving us absolutely no info on where you are, what you drive, what the conditions and road surface is like, what exact models the Pirellis and Continentals are

Studs make a lot of difference, yes - but actually GOOD studless tires do just fine, and will rival/do better in/on snow than studded tires, while falling behind on ice and the hardest snow. Still, I've seen the best studless tires do better on ice than the cheaper studded ones
>>
>>16380857

Have fun when you crash your car with all seasons.
>>
>>16383409
this.
I have winter studded tyres that used to have studs on them
Grips phenomenally on snow and doesn't let go even on racetrack.
Despite my car being a top heavy bodyrolling landboat
>>
>>16382240
yes I have chains but they are also a real bitch

>>16382257
>Who the fuck uses chains in anything other than a avalanche?
no one

>>16383409
Alberta, it frequently gets above 0 during the day here and drops below -15 to -25 at night making the roads sheet ice.
cars
VW Jetta 24v Vr6 / Contis were the winter set that came with it, and to lazy to look at what the Pirellis are
Volvo 740 turbo / hankook zovak studded

All in all I thought the VW would be better in the snow having a heavier engine and being FWD
>>
File: 20161112_111544_resized.jpg (816KB, 1860x1046px) Image search: [Google]
20161112_111544_resized.jpg
816KB, 1860x1046px
>>16383519
Ok, so you don't actually know what those tires were, their model, their age, thread depth, design or anything?

And ofcourse, if you're thinking about performance on ice then good studless aint gonna have shit on good studded, same with shit studded vs shit unstudded

There is no way for any of us to tell you what the "problem" is when you can't offer us any relevant info
>>
Always get studs, always
>>
>>16384571
Why?
>>
>>16384635
Mechanical grip negro. You don't see ice racers running blizzaks, do ya champ?
>>
>>16384653
Real roads aren't ice racing

Plenty of terrains and areas where studless will be a much better choice
>>
>>16380785
the studs on tires help with gripping on ice. other than that, they dont really do anything else. so if you live where the roads are icy, studded is the way to go.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.