[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3100 gm v6 troubleshooting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

So my car started overheating ad staying right below redline. Originally I thought it was a thermostat. Which I hastily got to fixing. But as I removed the neccesary parts I noticed an area (labeled in green with black outline in the pic. Its not my engine but I needed something) that looked like it had be leaking fluid. My immediate thought was a blown intake manifold gasket. But I wasnt sure if it Was although o have replaced it in this vehicle before I never got to see the symptoms start as I bought it as is.. I'm novice at this and I know how everything works on the engine and what's what. But I dont have enough experience in repairing my vehicle to know what it could be. I can't dismantle the engine unless I'm sure its the gaskets. I can't replace them if they aren't damaged and I damage them in the removal process. I'm broke and have little money. I drained the oil pan looking for water. And now have the oil in a clear container and I'm seeing if water will settle to the top in the chocolate milk-esque way. So far after about two hours I've found nothing. Anything come to Mind? I would appreciate any expertise greatly. This is the only car I have.
>>
The pic is my engine type. I failed to clarify its the gasket that would be in that are that looks like its leaking. I apologize. The vehicle is a 98' Buick Century Limited of that helps.
>>
>>16372699

Where the green circles are is where you put RTV to prevent stuff from leaking.

Wouldn't contribute to overheating though, also you do not need to remove the upper part of the engine to change the thermostat? But if you got it apart just change the lower intake manifolds and check the coolant box for anything that looks like oil etc

Otherwise you could have a clogged radiator from the old gaskets turning into sludge, radiator fans not kicking on etc

These cars run hot but do not like heat i never understood why they came with a 195f thermo but i put in the 180f one and never looked back.
>>
>>16372699
>>16372771

Also check the water pump. They like to leak from the top part of the pump and you can easily tell. Could be worth removing anyways and checking just make sure to get a new gasket and some of that paste stuff for the pump(you dont need it but i usually use it to be safe)
>>
>>16372782
>>16372771
I didn't remove it but I could find a diagram that I could show you what silicone gasket was leaking. Thank you guys. You saved my life desu. I'm still seeing no water in the oil. Meaning it has to be something else. Do you guys know what could get rust and deposits out. I've heard dishwasher detergent but I really dont wanna fix a problem with something that could create a much bigger problem. (And yeah the 3100 thermostat is in the most fucking retarded place I've ever seen. I legit have to remove the motor mouth to get the solid inlet pipe that goes to my heater core.) I'm so tired of working on it but its like a drug. And I love my car. I just want it not to kill itself. I hate how hot it runs.
>>
>>16372814
Mount. For fucks sake autocorrect.
>>
>>16372814

I have an 01 malibu with the same engine, and yeah the thermostat is in a terrible place. Remove the throttle body and you can get a wrench in there to get the thermostat out. Drain the cooling system as well, just from the petcock at the bottom right of the radiator in front would be enough mine usually doesnt even come close to removing it all out probably because its partially clogged.

Even if you live in a cold area the 180f just keeps the temps a little lower but does effect the heat slightly and you will notice it if it gets COLD

But if its not the thermostat then pump/radiator. Pray you didn't do anything to the headgaskets. The stock ones are extremely weak and most often will warp the first time they get really hot which happened to me i developed an external leak from the first time the needle went into the red

Needless to say felpro makes both intake manifold gaskets that are the updated steel ones and the heavy duty steel headgaskets both of which will last a lifetime on this engine.
>>
>>16372844
I haven't noticed any sort of bad oil leak. Just slight leakage at times. And no blue smoke out the back. I did have a cylinder two misfire a few days ago. Which was easily fixed by replacing the spark plug. I really hope its not a head gasket. I'm legit scared of having to do that kind of work..
>>
>>16372782
>>16372771
>>16372844
And bow bad would it be of I just skipped the whole keeping a thermostat in the car. I've never wanted to do it but what exactly would/could happen. And what about dexcool? Does that shit actually fuck shit up?
>>
>>16372870

>And bow bad would it be of I just skipped the whole keeping a thermostat in the car.

If its a stuck thermostat then it's pretty bad. You'll keep overheating.

>And what about dexcool? Does that shit actually fuck shit up?

yes when exposed with air it will gunk up pretty fast. The thermostat is an easy job, really. Just remove the air box and the throttle body/cables and unplug the idle air control, throttle position sensor and the thermostat is just 2 bolts away.
>>
>>16372906
What if I ran the car without one in it is what I mean, does it damage the car? And I'm done with dexcool. I'm sick of it.
>>
>>16372906
And how do I remove rust, mineral deposits and or dexcool gunk. What do I use
>>
>>16372941

>What if I ran the car without one in it is what I mean

Then your car would not get up to operating temperature which means increased wear because oil isnt at temp and is not doing its job

>And how do I remove rust, mineral deposits and or dexcool gunk. What do I use

coolant flush, theres an additive, you put it in and top with water and run the engine with no thermostat and drain coolant again. replace with whatever coolant. Should note that if your gaskets and coolant gunked up you will need to remove your intake manifold gaskets and clean out the holes there and replace all the gaskets then do the flush.
>>
>>16372964
There's just a rust like substance. I think it actually may be rust, I'll do the flush tho.
>>
>>16372699
OP : Just as a note, this engine family had all sorts of issues. This is not really going to help you any, just make you aware of a whole bunch of issues that you could be headed for.

Head Gaskets were prone to failing (multiple times, even if done by the dealer) especial on the back "hot" side of the engine.

Head Bolts would stretch over time. helping cause the above issue.

Manifold gaskets would dry into brittle little rings at the seals and crack letting in air. the TB also handled fluids IIRC.

The biggest one is the use of 8mm Rocker arm Bolts (the are notorious on the 3100 and 3400 for pulling out, especially on the back "hot" side) This issue did not get fixed until 2004+ when they up sized it to 10mm bolts. The Aluminum they used in the heads is so soft you can actually scratch into it with your fingernails/plastic gasket scrapers.

They also seem to have issues with the water pumps only lasting about 2-3 years tops before the bearings blow and it starts leaking.

Source : years of fighting with a close relatives grand am GT 2003. It threw out 4 rocker arms on the back and 2 up front, ate pushrods, destroyed 4 or 5 AC delco pumps, and had the head gaskets done 3 times by the dealership. If I was at home id show some of the pushrods it chewed up : even stripped the hardened ball ends off of them.

Just Google "Montana v6 Van Engine Problems" for tons of people posting about it.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.