[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what point is plastidip ineffective?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

File: ad_1482198598945.jpg (1MB, 1600x1199px) Image search: [Google]
ad_1482198598945.jpg
1MB, 1600x1199px
At what point is plastidip ineffective?
>>
>>16370927
When you spray a whole car
>>
File: 6FWDIVZ.gif (400KB, 350x343px) Image search: [Google]
6FWDIVZ.gif
400KB, 350x343px
>>16370927
when you consider using it.
>>
>>16371025
I don't see the problem.
>>
>>16371054
Looks vinyl
>>
>>16371062
But it is plastidip.

https://youtu.be/PzFqHwZcnK8
>>
>>16371054
Looks like shit from closer than ten feet away though.
>>
>>16371054
pretty sure that's vinyl
>>
>>16371092
>>16371098

>>16371083
>>
>>16371083
He makes me uncomfortable.
>>
>>16371083
That's autoflex BTW.
Plastidip is the can.
>>
>>16371163
You are fucking retarded
>>
>>16371234
Thanks for being a dick and not correcting me!
•< : ^ )
>>
What about when the clear coat is failing? As a last ditch effort to keep a car presentable without redoing the entire paint job
>>
File: 2016-08-16 23.24.15.jpg (2MB, 1885x1060px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-16 23.24.15.jpg
2MB, 1885x1060px
>>16371408
This is the krylon rattle-can alternative to plasti dip clearcoat on an uncleared surface. It's ok, a bit orange-peely and rubbery.
>>
>>16371449
Will this cover bubbling? Thanks for the help. Have a celica that I'd love to at least pass the 10 foot test.
>>
>>16371471
Like rust under the paint or clear coat bubbles? Idk either way, I'd get it as uniform a surface over the whole project as you can before you spray, but I didn't try spraying differently prepped surface es at the same time.
>>
Looks like shit in person. 100% of the time. Same with wraps
>but look at this low res pic!
>but look at this youtube video from a person trying to sell the product
If you want to throw your money away knock yourself out, but it's going to look terrible especially if you actually drive the car. You are better off with a Maaco scuff and shoot
>>
>>16371471
Bubbling is probably rust coming up from under the surface you need to grind that shit out and bondo it. A thick coating like plastic dip will keep you from needing to sand it though. Of you just spray it over bubbles it'll keep rusting from the back
>>
Plastidip has a whole line for automobiles, invest in the gear and you can give yourself an amazing "paint" job for just a few hundred bucks and a weekend.

See if there's local businesses who do plasti-dip jobs, or hit up a Facebook group to see if someone would loan you the tools.
>>
>>16371471
I would think that if it's clear coat coming off, blend the edges (where clears bubbling) with a fine grit wet sand, dry off, and clear that. Smaller variances are hard to see with the untrained eye from 10ft if they're small, what you're trying to do is get the transition from paint to clear coated paint as smooth as possible and then clear. Then any small variance in color will (most of the time) be written off as light glare or shadows or the like.
>>
File: IMG_6664.jpg (195KB, 1023x682px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6664.jpg
195KB, 1023x682px
>>16371503
It looks like plasti dip. Its a look that is pretty accepted right now but I'm sure there are plenty of people who hate it too. Kind of like just hating all white cars.

This is the worst looking plasti dipped car I can find a picture of online. He did everything you can do wrong. It's primer gray. It want put on thick enough. It's all over everything there's no badges or grill or bumper or anything to break it up. Unless you literally run out of dip and leave it just suddenly stopped in the middle of the hood you can expect your results to look like this or better.

Post pics of bad plastic dip if you can find any worse.
>>
>>16371406
Not him, but I was under the impression that they sold plastidip by the gallon. Unless those dipyourcar guys use something else
>>
>>16371670
Guy you replied to here. I haven't really seen that channel.
I've been referring to pic related.
I only find them in autozone but ive never bothered looking at other stores though.
>>
File: Plastidipped_electricblue.jpg (99KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Plastidipped_electricblue.jpg
99KB, 960x720px
>>16371511
>>
>>16371700
You can buy plasti dip by the gallon but you need a halfway decent sprayer to push it since it's so thick. It's definitely cheaper to buy bulk rattle cans off ebay unless you're going to do more than one car but you'll want one of these or your finger will be howling by the time you empty 20 rattle cans.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.