[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want one of these but I keep hearing that they're hunks of shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: SL320.jpg (84KB, 800x431px) Image search: [Google]
SL320.jpg
84KB, 800x431px
I want one of these but I keep hearing that they're hunks of shit
>>
>>16367504
They're literally last reliable mercs
>>
>>16367504
They look cool as fuck.
>>
>>16369564
Did you mean last or least?
>>
>>16367504
I worked with a guy who had a 300sl amg with 148k miles in sept. He bought it new in 92 and only issue hes had is a broken ignition tumbler thing and the accel cable holder thing broke one day leaving work, it was a cheap piece of plastic that was retarded to get to. My guess is since he loves the car hes done maintinence on time since new and thats why its lasted.

Tldr buy one with records and continue to take care of it.
>>
>>16367504
Hey OP,

124 owner here. That is an R129. I want one as well, 500SL with AMG package in silver is what I'm after. 600 would be nice but I think too much to work on!

The R129 was as another poster said one of the last truly built to a standard Benzes out there.

You have several options, the 320 as your picture suggests has what I believe is an M104 which is the same engine in my 124. Has been a reliable engine mechanically with some issues due to mileage but in general these are very solid engines.
The other common engines is a M119 V8 which is commonly touted as the best V8 Mercedes ever made. You would get a 5.0 DOHC.
There is also relatively commonly for this generation of SL, a 6.0 V12 called the M120, also DOHC. It is essentially two M104 I6 engines put onto one crankshaft. There are multiple videos out there of people balancing a coin on a running M120 engine. Although, it is a bit tight inside the engine bay.

Between the facelift they changed a few things on the 500SL, I think something in the engine which gave it a bit more power, and changed the transmission from a traditional hydraulically controlled 4 speed auto to an electrically controlled 5 speed auto.

It is said that the pre-facelift are MORE like the 124's and 126 tanks of old, not quite as sporty but heavy and better "feeling" whereas the post-facelift started to feel a bit more modern, and sportier and some say slightly lower quality even though they're on the same chassis.

Some reading I have done has brought me to want the 500SL with AMG package, I don't think post-facelift would be anything to worry about if it was taken care of well, and I would like the 5 speed auto.

I could afford anything from a basic pre-facelift 320SL to a post-facelift SL600 if I wanted, but it has been said that the SL600 isn't quite worth it over the 500, the additional acceleration is only like 1.5 seconds or so from 0-60, and it is said that the car feels heavier handling (cont..)
>>
>>16369676
and braking especially in turns.

The 500SL I believe, has a perfect 50/50 weight distro and, if it is an improvement on my 124, I will say that it will brake extremely confidently and without much nose dip at all. Very linear and predictable.

I have never driven an R129 but from my experience with the 124, and the 129 simply being a shortened 124, I would say you should be very happy.

What you should NOT expect is handling as you would find in a BMW Z3 type car. It is much heavier and also more powerful, and I do not think I have ever seen one in a manual either. These are absolutely highway cruisers but can also be competent if handled by someone who knows how to work them. Actually, I believe I saw a 320 in manual, but they are definitely rare!

That said, do some reading and decide which model you want. Also try to get one with the hard top, the hard top is NOT just visual, it is an important structural element to the car and helps it maintain rigidity! All of them have both a removable hard top and a soft top. If you are going to push the car, you want the hard top on. It CAN survive without it, but performance will be affected handling-wise. The soft top is generally just for when you take it out top-down and it begins to rain unexpectedly.

They are NOT hunks of shit, they are my favorite SL generation in existence, and I hope to own a 500SL soon. Though I am torn between that or a 560SEC.

Great cars and still relatively cheap for what they are!
>>
>>16369676
>>16369694
thank you for your detailed response
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.