[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly is happening inside the engine when it's trying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1479687427191.jpg (67KB, 822x899px) Image search: [Google]
1479687427191.jpg
67KB, 822x899px
What exactly is happening inside the engine when it's trying to turn over and you're trying to start it?

The reason I ask is because I have noticed for some reason with older cars they tend to start up instantly. My friend's Miata and 240 literally turn over instantly on the first hit no matter how cold the engine is.

Yet even brand new vehicles take a few cranks to get em going
>>
>>16354244
the battery turns the engine and pew pew engine start
>>
>>16354251
It turns the starter which turns the engine you stupid fucking faggot

Of course fuel is also injected into the cylinders which the spark plugs then try to ignite
>>
Explosion happens
>>
>>16354261
>>>16354251
>It turns the starter which turns the engine you stupid fucking faggot
>Of course fuel is also injected into the cylinders which the spark plugs then try to ignite

Hey don't trash someone legit curious about shit
>>
>>16354300
You're retarded
>>
single overhead camshaft is why.
>>
>>16354244

Some cars might let the engine spin a few times on purpose without entering fuel into the system for momentum to aid in start when ignition happens. Its how I start a R985 radial. Thats just my reasoning.
>>
>Renix ECU takes a day and a half to find TDC and fire
>has recently taken to spinning as long as I hold the key forward and only fires when I let off, and fires immediately as I do
Fuck Renault.
>>
To give a bit more info the other two didn't provide.

Car engines are usually (most commonly) 4 stroke engines. Also, there's something called the flywheel which is connected to the shaft. This is basically like a plate that spins and conserves rotational energy.
Anyway, the starter makes the flywheel and in turn the shaft spin. This means that it first has to turn the engine at least once so that it:
1. takes fuel and air mixture in (piston down)
2. compresses it (piston up)
Then it can fire up.

A big part of fuel economy and less pollution is all about starting a motor due to how hard it is to actually start an engine. So during start-up there are many things that can be done to make it as fuel efficient as possible, such as proper fuel and air mixture, compression, inertia, etc.

So taking all that shit into account, reasons could be:
heavier parts (harder to gain inertia, although those have stronger starters in turn)
economy and emissions profiles for start up
valve actuation, camshaft profile
fuel feed and ignition

The miat and 240 are old small engines, the ecu is relatively simple, it probably only requires injection and ignition to start (so just one rev or so), instead of using a complicated start.
>>
>>16354244
>older cars start instantly
Might have to do with direct injection of modern engines.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.