[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beater / Jalopy / Shitty car thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

File: beater.jpg (32KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
beater.jpg
32KB, 620x400px
>pic unrelated
>i actually drive a 1997 Toyota Corolla with 231k miles on it
>>
File: LexusSnowMode.jpg (330KB, 1080x608px) Image search: [Google]
LexusSnowMode.jpg
330KB, 1080x608px
Not a "shitty" car per se, but it is my DD/beater that I bought for $1600. I have a problem where I can't leave well enough alone, I always start to fix up my beaters, spending a not-insignificant amount of money on parts doing so.
>>
>>16350991
That's really cool, man
>>
File: IMG_20161221_003212.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161221_003212.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Will have been driving this for almost 3 years now. Itching for a new car but just can't let this one go yet
>>
Drive an Astra with 410k kms on it.
>>
>>16351106
damn, looks comfy
>>
File: IMG_0413.jpg (317KB, 1299x974px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0413.jpg
317KB, 1299x974px
168k, can't stand the z24i in it, and the transmission is dying.

Time for 350 swap.
>>
>>16350942
got a saturn ion beater. 200k mi and absolutely no issues. Gonna run this bitch til the trans falls out the bottom of it. And guess what? The exterior is perfect too, totally dent free. The secret? The fucking body panels are all plastic besides the trunk and the hood.
>>
>>16351690
Try Redline MT90 in the trans if it's a 5-speed. I replaced the 26 year old oil in mine with that and it was like butter through the gears.

My truck had the Z24i also. Dreadful motor, but it absolutely refused to die.
>>
>>16352514
I might as well feed it some fluids to make it last the winter, since I won't be able to do the swap until it warms up in 3 or so months.
I've read about my problem before, the input shaft bearing dies, stressing the other bearings in the transmission, so now they're all shot and it howls in every gear besides 4th.
The engine has some strange ignition problem where it cuts under hard acceleration, but the (very primitive) computer checks reports everything OK.

I'd rather not invest the time and money into such a low-performing powertrain, and from what I read a 350 drops in the easiest.
The trick is going to be getting a driver's side drop transfer case for the 700r4 and actually getting the 4x4 rigged up.
>>
File: 20160401_131611.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20160401_131611.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
I bought this truck for $800. It runs great but it had a bad transmission so I had to drive it home in fourth gear. It was a little tough finding a replacement since it needed an Isuzu transmission with a GM 60* v6 bellhousing. I had to drive out of state to pick one up. It cost me about $300 plus the old core. I put in a new clutch for good measure, but it didn't really need it. Now it drives awesome.
>>
>>16352696
You got a P'up for $800? You lucky son of a bitch
>>
bought a 2004 Ford Falcon for 900 bucks

Excellent car, surprisingly economic, RWD, i6, 240 hp from factory and has a towbull. Its the nicest car i own but im going to use it as a beater/every day car
>>
>>16352696
Nice, I dig the short wheelbase.

Have you considered doing a <$50 rustoleum paint job? Mask off the tight silver trim, and sand/respray the poor condition black.
>>
>>16352718
My hardbody >>16351690 was $900.

Just bide your time, deals will pop up.
>>
File: freshpaint.jpg (262KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
freshpaint.jpg
262KB, 1024x768px
>>16352727
I recommend stepping up to the $150 catalyzed tractor enamel paint job.

My truck was still shiny after 3 years in the weather. Rustoleum doesn't handle the sun very well and turns chalky.
>>
>>16351690
Thats a nissan pick-up xe right?
Whats your opinion of it? Considered getting one as a winter beater, but I'm not exactly rich and kind of concerned about maintenace and fuel costs, especially on those old diesels
>>
>>16352718
I really had no idea what it was when I first saw it. I got it from a guy who owns a shop. He was going to fix it and sell it but I talked him into letting me buy it after I saw what I thought to be a 2.8 under the hood. Turns out it's actually a 3.1/5 speed with 31x10.5 tires and 4.56 gears from the factory.
>>
Ausfag here thinking of buying a baja bug for a beater. Any of you guys have experience with one?
>>
>>16352795
It's a 1986.5 D21, often called hardbody.

Mine has a gasoline 4 cyl (z24i), which are basically indestructible but don't make any power. They were 100hp new.
They're pretty darn easy trucks to work on, and parts are dirt cheap for them.
If you're worried about maintenance, I'd spend more than I did and try to get a good running example, probably for around 2k.
>>
>>16352875
I actually have a budget of about 5k, since I'll use it as a dd if it fares well in winter. Does anything like that exist a bit newer and with decent mpg? I'm a bit new to pickups and awd in general, and every rating I see is just "power, torque, buy (insert brand new 30k+ turbodiesel monster here"
>>
File: 20160327_185907.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20160327_185907.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>16352727
I'm still on the fence about painting it or not. I have spray guns and have access to compressor, I'm just not sure I want to do all that prep work. I know if I start I won't stop until every dent is fixed. I think maybe I'd rather just enjoy it for a while. Pic is a project of mine that I painted.
>>
>>16352875
I can confirm the easy to work on part. I replaced the water pump on mine, primarily to improve the fuel mileage (fan clutch). There's easy access to everything. The Z24i had a bonus backup ignition system if the primary coil failed, thanks to the NAPS system. The main problem with them is the throttle body gaskets crumbling with age and racing idle.

Speaking of the NAPS system, I think I recall the problem you described in >>16352646
being somehow related to the changeover between primary and secondary ignition coils. I don't remember the fix, though. It might have been to just disconnect the secondary coil and keep driving...

Personally, I always wanted to get a newer hardbody with the K24E. Much nicer motor, but still not a powerhouse by any means.
>>
>>16352898
Ah, you're in the actual DD beater range, not "should've died with Reagan".
And yeah, the current state of the truck industry is awful, they now exist as family vehicles for dads who want to feel manly.

If you're after decent MPGs, look at the 4cyl Ford Ranger between the years 01 and 11. They're rated for up to 23 hwy, and they're solid little trucks.
The 3.0L V6 is a workhorse and will last forever with care, but it sucks more gas and doesn't really deliver on power.
I'd recommend the Ranger vs the s10, I've seen the Rangers suffer from less serious problems.
>>
>>16352925
>racing idle
Mine idles at 1500, and when the revs do drop to 1k it vibrates like Michael J. Fox. I wonder if the timing is fucked, or if it's related to the dual coil thing you mentioned.
The z24i was one of the first mainstream fuel injected, ECU managed engines, and I think a lot of the problems stem from the primitive systems. I've considered replacing the ECU with an arduino just so I can get some insight as to what is going on.

I don't mind it not being a powerhouse, but I'd really rather not take 45 seconds to accelerate to 60 mph.
>>
>>16352943
>the current state of the truck industry is awful, they now exist as family vehicles for dads who want to feel manly.

Ain't that the fucking truth. It's getting hard to find single cab trucks. It's all long ass extended/crew cab dadmobiles at the stealership. Minitrucks are also dead, the Colorado looks like it was made for faggots. Fuck this gay world.
>>
>>16352943
>should've died with reagan
kek

Thanks, kind of cemented me in my decision there. You'd be surprised how many people despise driving a "big" car, specifically pickups in germany
>>
>>16352995
I'm sure they'll make a comeback at some point, they're just not at all popular right now.
I wouldn't worry about used ones becoming hard to find, the ranger was made up until 11.

>>16353011
I'd imagine it's a huge hassle, aren't most cities in Europe much denser than in the US?
Hell, it gets annoying here, since usually the guys driving massive brotrucks are also aggressive dicks on the road, flooring it at every stoplight, tailgating, and weaving/cutting through traffic. Probably because they feel invincible behind the wheel of a 3-ton vehicle.
>>
>89 yota pickup
>2wd
>carbed 22r
>206 on the clock
>sidepanels of the box simply cease to exist
>only objectively nice thing on the truck is the tires
at the moment
>91 arctic cat jetski in the box
>all absolutely engulfed in snow

starts and runs like a top even in -10 F
>>
>>16353063
I remember reading something about single cabs becoming extinct because of some arbitrary federal regulation having to do with wheelbase and carbon emissions. It's retarded.
>>
>>16353063
I live out in the sticks, so that wouldnt be a problem at all. The arguments are the same as for guns in america, "but anon you dont NEED that truck, why would you want to have it? What do you mean you like driving it who would just drive around for fun"
>>
File: 20161218_142605_HDR.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161218_142605_HDR.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>800 USD craigslist civic
>no power steering or ac
>paint needs help
>dent in fender, not due to me
94, 260k, got me to and from work for a full month before i garaged her pending overhaul.
>>
I drive an '89 Accord that's coming up on 438K miles. 5MT, fuel injected, coupe.

As beaters go it's actually not that bad, but both bumper covers are damaged and there's a dent in the front passenger fender. The steering rack pisses fluid all over the engine bay, and the front suspension needs help.

It was my grandfather's car, which he used for a weekly interstate commute for many years (I can see why, stupidly tall gears and cruise control!) Eventually my mother and uncle forced him to stop using it, fearing it would break down and leave him stranded in the middle of nowhere. It was at about 404K then, and sat for 3 years before I began driving it. In that time he had stopped driving entirely, and his driver/assistant didn't like driving manual Not really having a need for the car anymore, he was nice enough to give it to me after I wrecked my Hyundai.

He's since passed, so it's going to be painful if the car ever does die.
>>
>>16353198
The stuff you listed isn't really a lot of work at all.

Keep it alive anon, those hondas will literally live forever.
>>
>>16354038
Oh, nothing that's wrong in its current state is going to keep it off the road for long. by "die" I meant something more catastrophic like the motor/trans going.

But otherwise you're right, I'm starting to think the car is immortal.
>>
File: 20161221_171002.jpg (2MB, 2337x1314px) Image search: [Google]
20161221_171002.jpg
2MB, 2337x1314px
95 Toyota 4runner sr5. 113k bought this month for a winter beater. Engine is a bit anemic and I've got prevent more rust but I think it'll last me a while. Covering up body and bumper damage with /osg/ slaps
>>
>>16351106
2,5 seats just how i like'em
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.