[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AW11 vs SW20

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: p1.jpg (86KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
p1.jpg
86KB, 800x600px
A query for /o/: I'm very set on buying an MR2 soon, and I like both the AW11 and SW20 just about equally aesthetically. I've never driven either one though (I have driven a 3rd gen). Can anyone here who have owned both or either lend some insight? I want to know what the ownership experience is like for each car, and what are the characteristics that differentiate them. i.e. which is the better daily driver, which would make the better track toy, which one is easier on maintenance, which takes better to mods.

Also, anything I should look out for when scoping these cars out would be nice to know. Any information you guys can offer is appreciated.
>>
Also, I should specify that I'm most likely looking at the N/A versions of these cars, as they will be in my price range. Trying to spend less than $5k initially on the car.
>>
>>16344109
I have owned both.
US versions if that makes a difference to you
>Aw11
Easier to work on.
Dont expect any speed or power gains without spending huge money
Not great on the freeway
Fun around town
>Sw20
Little more difficult to work on, but not that horrible if youre patient.
If its the 5sfe, you wont find power.
Much more comfy on the freeway (i use to run mine up to 120mph on california highways)
Quieter
More modern feeling
More space
Fun everywhere
The NA seats arent great. Turbo seats are amazing.

What else do you want to know? Ive also owned a turbo mk2.
>>
>>16344146
Thanks, yeah I'm located in Cali.

Is snap oversteer as big of a problem as people make it out to be? and are there easy ways to solve it?
>>
>>16344252
No its not that bad. You have to try REALLY hard to make it snap.
Basically, keep your suspension, bushings, and tires in good shape.
If youre going to mod suspension and wheels/tires, do your research and figure out a nice setup. Especially with alignment.
But honestly as long as you drive like a normal person, youre fine. If youre driving too fast, just dont lift in a corner.
>>
>>16344119
For n/a, unless you can find a beams jdm sw20, just get the aw11, it's more special.

If you wanted to track it a 2zz'd mk3 would be where my money goes.

Otherwise an sw20 rev3+ turbo if I was to daily it and not drive it above 8/10 ever.
>>
File: trd2000gt_spider2.jpg (78KB, 560x420px) Image search: [Google]
trd2000gt_spider2.jpg
78KB, 560x420px
>>16344252
It's more a mid engine issue than an mr2 issue, I like MR cars but they can fishtail at 15mph on a damp bend if you aren't silky smooth with your inputs.
In the dry you'd need to be a novice or pushing your luck to spin.
>>
>>16344310
>they can fishtail at 15mph on a damp bend if you aren't silky smooth with your inputs.
Not true at all.
>>
>>16344283
Talking to a seller with Koni Sports and eibachs on his 92. If I was gonna go full out I'd probably do coilovers or something.

i've also heard adding more rubber to the rear helps prevent snap O/S, or at least raises the threshold.

>>16344297
I've considered getting an N/A sw20 for cheap, and then swapping in a turbo motor later on. They don't appear to be that expensive for engine and tranny, unless cost of labor really gets ya.

I've heard the Mk3 is actually the fastest at the track, and they are fine cars, but I think they look ugly as fuck.
>>
>>16344319
90 degree right handed box junction, accelerating gently from standstill, lift off a bit too much, turn in, wobble, wobble, catch, clean underwear.

Just because the bus you ride has the engine in the middle doesn't make you an expert.
>>
>>16344109
I've owned both, driven the n/a sw20, owned a turbod sw20
And the N/A sw20 is going to leave you wanting more an a lot more of it, the turbo swap on it is a bitch if you don't have all of the room to get under the car, get the engine out, hook up the fuel shits, wiring, and ecu
I have the aw11, great daily driver, a lot better on gas and it feels like itll hold some good tuning later

The sw20 has more mods but you wont be beating anyone
>>
File: 20130823_133529.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20130823_133529.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>16344322
In that case you want a rev 3 jdm engine as they're just better.
If you can find one from a crashed st205 you can use the chargecooler etc as a good upgrade from the mr2's version of the same engine.
I've also heard good things about people swapping v6's into all 3 gens, I think you guys have a v6 camry or something that'd make a good donor.
>>
>>16344363
Im the guy who has owned 5 mr2s.
Youre a retard
>>
>>16344379
Farah drove a Mk2 with the V6 swap and seemed to love it a lot. I've seen a couple for sale but they are usually north of 10k
>>
>>16344374
Yeah not trying to be the fastest guy on the road. Ideally I would like something that I could daily and is great fun in the canyons
>>
>>16344401
You'd think you'd know how mid engine cars handle in sub-par conditions and admit that they can be tricky if you lose focus for a moment sometimes by now then.

Maybe the one with learning difficulties is you.

Or maybe you're the mid engined dagumi, who knows.
>>
>>16344429
>15mph
>wet corner
Seriously?
I mean really?
You would have to be on bald tires to lose control in this situation
Kys
>>
>>16344322
I actually kind of like how the mk3 looks with a hardtop
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.