[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

built cars and smog checks in cuckifornia?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (8KB, 229x220px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 229x220px
hey guys,

Quick question for anyone living in california who has aftermarket shit on their car and successfully pass smog checks without knowing "a guy."

I have a Z32 that I've had for a while and am planning on doing a turbo/E85 conversion for fun as a project seeing as I've done more or less everything else I can to it. If the smog station I usually go to doesn't check under the hood, could I get away with having an e85 tune with the turbo with my end build horsepower and no fucks given about emissions alongside a detuned 91 octane tune that passes emissions and still has the turbo on?

I don't really know much about turbos seeing as I've never worked on a car with on, so what I really want to know is, is there a way to have a tune that just doesn't use boost from the turbo? Would the blow off sound give it away?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. From what I understand at the end of the day I could also just have the two tunes I mentioned above and just pull out the turbo and have another set of tubing that returns it to stock when I go to smog it.

Does anyone else here do something similar where they have a 'built' engine they drive around on and then detune it for smogging once a year?
>>
Just bribe the inspectors, you imbecile.
>>
>>16342872
too much of a pussy for that desu
>>
>>16342851
Do you actually live in cali? Because we actually smog every other year. I know plenty of mechanics that do this.
If you are in la or some shit be careful as they have sniffers on the highway.
>>
>>16342904
oops, must have slipped when I wrote that. I'm currently in the bay. Do you mean plenty of mechanics do what I wrote or plenty of them write out fake smog inspections?
>>
>have illegal modifications
>get pulled over/ jabber to go into mobile Smog station
>they look under your hood
>get state reff'ed
>they make you revert to stock
>if you don't have the money to do so, your just completely fucked

Just get a car that's easily tunable from the factory
>>
>>16342920
Do what you wrote, the most common thing is high flow cats so you don't damage your factory cat's then you swap back at smog time.
>>16342922
>have illegal modifications
>get pulled over/ jabber to go into mobile Smog station
>they look under your hood
Like I said if you live in LA I wouldn't play that game they will crush your car into a cube.
>>
>>16342922
Couldn't I just revert it back to stock then, get it approved, and revert it to modified if I had the tools/parts to do it myself in my garage.

Nevertheless, I don't thing I've ever heard of anyone getting a referee ticket anywhere around here, and I go to a lot of meets. Only person I know that's ever gotten one is from LA, and they got theirs down south.

>>16342927
Sounds good, thanks. Why go with high flow cats though? If I'm going as far as swapping them out temporarily couldn't I just straight pipe it?
>>
>>16342927
They don't crush you just get ref'd.
They only crush for street racing. Not sure even they even do that anymore desu.

And to be really honest this only happens to slammed civics 90% of the time.
>>
>>16342851
Nice thumbnail Mr. Ant
>>
>>16342941
And to answer your question yes, you can just leave the wastegate open and have a smog tune.
>>
>>16342944
Perfect, thanks. I'm not worried about getting pulled over / getting my hood checked (knock on wood). Most shops don't work on the Z32 in NA or TT form so I doubt they'd know what they looked like under the hood, and even if they did the turbo is tucked away under the engine where the AC used to be on conversions. It'd be pretty hard to see unless you pulled apart half of the engine bay to get down in there. I've never seen the smog station I go to pop a hood on any of my cars.
>>
>>16342934
One of them gives you some extra performance, the other makes you stand out like a sore thumb.
Were still in cali m8 you can't have a 200 DB dragon roaring down main street.
On a semi related note I saw a van with it's door open followed by two Lamborghini flying down a relatively main street tonight in the bay.
>>
>>16342851
Your main hindrance is state smog law requiring a certificated sent to the DMV every 2 years. Not a problem if you find a smog station that doesn't care about visual inspection so long as you pass the sniffer (which isn't hard to find at all).

The second are cops. So long as you don't do stupid shit like street race or do dumb shit on public street and get caught they won't bother pulling over Z32's so long as it doesn't look super modified. Even at that, only select cities pull over modified Japanese cars anyway. They can pop your hood and send you to the referee.
>>
>>16342954
I've changed my mind, 160db
>>
>>16342934
Yeah you can, that costs a lot of time and money

Got state reff'ed once. Never again
>>
CALI

LIFE AINT A GAME OH NOOO OHH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND99TdFxbRQ
>>
>>16342963
This is Cali, I prefer just saying money.
>>
>>16342992
It's more of the down time and tickets of getting state reff'd desu
>>
>>16343001
http://powerofattorney.com/california/limited-power-attorney-california-form-adobe-pdf/
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.