[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does every luxury brand have stupid naming systems?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: BMW-3-series.jpg (150KB, 720x315px) Image search: [Google]
BMW-3-series.jpg
150KB, 720x315px
>BMW
>3 numbers and a couple letters
>last 2 numbers don't even represent engine displacement anymore

>Acura
>3 letters that usually stand for nothing

>Infiniti
>Q and some random multiple of 10

>Porsche
>3 numbers, with the generation being another 3 random numbers
>usually a call back to heritage Porsche but those didn't have sensible naming systems either

>Cadillac
>3 letters, maybe 2 letters and a number

>Audi
>at least this one makes sense

>Lexus and Mercedes
>just fuck my shit up

Is there something stopping these brands from just giving their cars actual fucking names?
>>
I don't think names are the way to go, but Audi and the old BMW systems are great, you get your model line then a representation of the engine. Even the extra bits for BMW are neat, like the 330x you know is awd
>>
Acura is the worst.
ILX
TLX
RLX
NSX
RDX
MDX
ZDX
MDX

So triple X retarded.
>>
>>16339540
BMW system used to make sense, but now the 2 last numbers are arbitrary.

>BMW 340i
>has 3.0L turbo
>>
>>16339562
Because they all have the same displacement
>>
>>16339506
You already said it. And this >>16339562

BMW and Merc names used to make sense. But now everything is going to small displacement turbo engines and they can't turn the 328i into the 320ti because normies will feel like they are getting less of a car.
>>
>>16339506
Yeah it's pretty unimaginative. Also all these small businesses you see where their name is just three letters. That annoys me too.
>>
>>16339506
The same way starbucks has made-up names for small, medium, and large.
>>
>>16339596
Those letters dont mean anything, like IBM.
>>
>>16339598
>tfw "grande" isn't even a large
Fuck off already Starbucks

>captcha: select coffee
>>
>>16339608
>not sure if trolling or rerarded
>>
File: 1397155795442.jpg (54KB, 641x729px) Image search: [Google]
1397155795442.jpg
54KB, 641x729px
Lexus is the worst
My neighbor has one of their hatchbacks and every time I see the CT200h on the back I always ask my self how a name like that went past prototype phase
You'd guess it's a 2.0l car because of the 200 but it's 1.8 and at first glance without knowing whats under the hood you'd assume the h stands for hatchback but it stands for hybrid. But there is no none-hybrid version of this car why is there an h to separate this from the other none existent CT200's? Also a lower case h looks fucking tacky when everything else is uppercase

Just so much flares up my autisim
>>
>>16339668
Its a 1.8L plus the hybrid, so the total output is closer to that of a 2L.

And the "h" on there for "hatchback?" No, you are the retard.
>>
FUCKING. ROLLS. ROYCE
>>
>>16339506
Infiniti's makes sense to me. Q series are sedans and QX are crossovers/SUVs. The bigger the number, the bigger the car.
>>
GM rebranding the DeVille and Seville as DTS and STS made zero sense.
>>
>>16339657
Its a joke from the movie war dogs
>>
>>16342370
They used to have numbers indicating engine size like BMW.

M35/45/56, G35, G37, etc.
>>
>>16339562
The numbers were always meant to be the power level they just used the displacement most of the time before charging was a thing. They had 316 with 1.8L, 325e had 2.7L etc
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.