[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brakes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_5469.jpg (36KB, 425x329px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5469.jpg
36KB, 425x329px
The brakes on my 2004 Toyota Corolla have slowly been getting worse for months now, and today I had the misfortune of having to drive my car on about a two-hour round trip. By the time I got back, the brakes sounded worse than ever. Before, the grinding would stop whenever I wasn't using the brakes. Now it's making noises even when I'm just pressing the gas and when I brake it makes a more awful sound than it ever has before. It sounds so bad that it almost physically hurts me to come to a complete stop.

I was just wondering what exactly I needed to get done to it and an estimate of how much it would cost. I'm between jobs at the moment and very short on cash. I don't know what to do.
>>
Go to rock auto and buy the cheapest pads and rotors they have. It will probably be under $50.
>>
>>16335324
>short on cash. I don't know what to do

Find a bus schedule and start saving. From your description, it sounds like new pads and rotors. Maybe a couple of calipers. Maybe around $200 just in parts, if you can do your own brake work.
>>
>>16335335
Cheapest pads - CX823 - $6.78
Cheapest rotors - BR31270 - $11.84 x2

Use a 5% discount to mostly counter act the shipping, and there you go, you can do the entire brake job (assuming you don't have a locked up caliper) for ~$35.
>>
>>16335350
My job requires a lot of driving. A bus schedule isn't going to cut it. I'm going to call a friend in the morning and see if he can install the parts if I purchase them. I just hope my car lasts until then. It's sounded bad for awhile, but it's too the point now where I literally don't feel safe when applying the brakes because of the amount of noise it makes.
>>
>>16335335
>>16335380

Thank you. I'll look into that.
>>
new pads, machine the rotors or get new ones. You can also say fuck it and use the old ones, might still make noise though
>>
>>16336276
you can take out the pads and rip off the little metal tab that will start hitting the rotor and making that godawful screeching sound. That is by no means a fix; just do that to get rid of the noise while you wait for your friend to come. Get that done ASAP, like tomorrow. I am 99% sure it's
>brake pads need to be replaced
>need new rotors, or get the old ones resurfaced
should be it
>>
>>16336324
>changing/machining discs every pad change
Hi there amateur mechanic who counteracts his lack of knowledge with OTT caution
>>
>>16336345
not machining rotors after a pad change doesn't mean you're a """professional mechanic"""

it just means you've been doing it wrong for years
>>
>>16335324
Are the front brakes stuck on/wheels hard to spin if you jack it up?

Your Front calipers are most likely rooted.

Get a rebuild kit usually $50 each side, chuck new pistons and seals in and your good to go
>>
>>16336359
Ok bby. Show me what you're doing to get noise when you do the first pad change on a new set of discs and we'll all see if we can tell you what you're doing wrong. It's not happened to me in 8 years in the trade.
>>
>>16336363
This is why "mechanic by committee" doesn't work. Everyone wants to post something original so you get scare mongering like this over what is 99.999% not the fault.
>>
>>16336377
>Show me what you're doing to get noise when you do the first pad change on a new set of discs
driving a 25 year old shitbox that may very well have had the stock rotors installed
>>
>>16336390
No 25 year old car is still on the original brake discs you know-nothing. Listen instead of speak.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.