[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

01 xterra help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Resized_20161203_130704.jpg (1MB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
Resized_20161203_130704.jpg
1MB, 2016x1512px
So I just bought an 01 xterra and so far I am very happy with my purchase.

However today I had taken it out into the forest again and due to rain the past couple days it was very muddy, athe times being more than a foot submerged in mud. By the end of the 3 mile or so treck accross mud, rocks and sand and on my way back i noticed a steady squeak and wobble in the front end. I was in 4x4 hi mind you. I stopped for observactions sake and when I started back up again the squeaks were louder but still at an even pace and the wobble was more of an oscillating, side to side Jenking almost in both my truck and the steering wheel.

Later when I no longer needed 4wd and went into 2hi the issue stopped.

Key points are the lots of mud, and I also was going wood hunting and probably brought back around 600lb of oak for the 3 returning miles.

Any ideas what it could be?
>>
Sorry, TL;DR

>xterra squeaks and wobbles in 4wd and 4wd only
>is front end problem
>was under stressful muddy, rocky, and fully loaded conditions.
Any ideas
>>
I've got a second gen and they're known for front end gremlins. Usual culprit is the ball joints.

Since it's 4WD only check your differential. Also that kind of vibration could've just been caused by shit in the wheels throwing your balance off. Same issue in 4WD on flat pavement?
>>
>>16334425
Not vibration, it was a steady rocking back and forth as slow speeds
>>
>>16334425
Also I have not tried it on pavement yet.

I am hoping, due to the accompanying squeaking that it is only mud related.
>>
>>16334491
Go back out and drive it around. You haven't even narrowed it to an actual mechanical problem. Mud/snow packed in a wheel isn't even a concern mechanically. Get a hose and spray it off and then report back.
>>
File: Resized_20161203_130648.jpg (1MB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
Resized_20161203_130648.jpg
1MB, 2016x1512px
>>16334511
Will do, I am just concerned that it is a major issue neending to be addressed. And it if WAS a problem someone else would likely know about it. I will rinse it off and go from there.

But yeah, check it, 01, 130k 4x4, in great shape and only $2400
>>
more like
xterra room for ur mom lmao
haha
>>
>>16335172
brun
>>
If I was to hazard a guess, sounds like severe transmission 'wind-up'. You might have gunk in the transfer case/diff/ball joints.

As >>16334511 said, just drive it around on the road in 4 high slowly and unlock your hubs.
>>
>>16334227
Aren't you supposed to be in 4-Lo when you're in mud and rocks?
4-hi in sand and snow?
>>
>>16335652
4-Lo for low speed high traction situations. Rock crawling, etc. 4-High for almost everything else.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.