[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rebuilt Titles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: buy-salvage-car.jpg (42KB, 440x480px) Image search: [Google]
buy-salvage-car.jpg
42KB, 440x480px
What are /o/'s thoughts on rebuilt cars?
>>
>>16333049
Fine as long as they've been thoroughly THOROUGHLY inspected and check out completely. Also say goodbye to resale value.
>>
>>16333081
As someone with a rebuilt, this. I got fucked because this really overpriced shop wrote my car off and my insurance wouldn't take a quote for another, very reputable shop that fixed my car is 100%
>>
Only worth what someones willing to pay. Usually not worth it.
>>
>>16333049
Only fine if you're looking for a track toy, or something you plan on beating to death and never selling
>>
>>16333105
That's illegal if you're a burger. They can't force you to go to a certain shop.
>>
For your safety pls never daily a rebuilt
>>
>>16333049
>An RX8 of all things that's been destroyed and cobbled back together! What could go wrong?
This is probably the shittiest idea of all time.
>>
>>16333049
Bout a year ago i was looking for good reliable DD for around 7k, saw an 08 Maxima rebuilt on craigslist i said fuck it, went to see the guy,in his late 40s super nice,airbag lights on literally had no wirbags at all no side none on the steering wheel, the car pulled hard as fuck to 1 side, all the engine mounts were ripped to shreds and it felt like i was driving a freight train, engine was pissing oil out of the valve covers. never again
>>
File: IMG_20161118_154235596.jpg (4MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161118_154235596.jpg
4MB, 4320x2432px
It really depends. Some cars get totaled for a surprisingly small amount of damage. A bumper cover and light rear 1/4 damage will total a fairly new car.

Salvage title cars get a bad rap because there's a lot of really shitty backyard mechanics out there that will literally hack them back together then flip em', nothing at all wrong with a properly repaired car.

I just bought a super clean totaled super duty from an insurance auction, when all said and done I'll be in it for a 1/4 of what it retails for.

With that said there are some cars I would always avoid, and that's any with water, or fire damage.

And of course this is all pointless if you can't fix it yourself, or don't know what to look for. IF you don't, then I'd recommend to stay away.
>>
File: 1462506261751.gif (3MB, 200x180px) Image search: [Google]
1462506261751.gif
3MB, 200x180px
>>16334703
Would you say it's the 'apex' of shitty ideas?
>>
>>16333175
No, after the first one they wrote the car off and cut me a check, I got it fixed at another shop with the money. That said I'd never buy a rebuilt car, I'm just saying it's not 100% of the time it'll go badly.
>>
>>16335229
That image really sealed the deal on the joke.
>>
>>16333049
I've had several cars I've bought as totals and had them rebuilt. One of my neighbors did this as a side job for decades. Was my first intro to body work; kind of took me under his wing and taught me the basics as we worked on rebuilding the first totaled car I bought.

In the end, you end up with the car you wanted, at a lower cost.

As someone else noted, say goodbye to resale value. A lot of people shy away from R titled vehicles. But, if you're buying an R titled vehicle. you're not doing it to resell. You're doing it because you like the car, and you're willing to either put some extra effort into it, or you're willing to trust someone else to put extra effort into it, to get the vehicle you want at a lower price point.

It's not all rainbows and sunshine, though. There are some good reasons to shy away from them, too. Their quality all comes down to who put them back together. If they did it right, everything will be fine. If they did not do it right, then you could end up with all sorts of problems.

For me, the best option was to be personally involved in the rebuild process.

MAKE SURE THE FRAME IS STRAIGHT. Most important thing. If its a little tweaked, get A PROFESSIONAL to straighten it on a frame machine. If the frame is not straightened back to factory specs, then you will have no end of woes reassembling it, and can even cause problems with handling, tire wear, fuel economy, etc. Just, make sure its right.
>>
>>16335229
Every post like this makes this shit hole worthwhile.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.